PDA

View Full Version : V Con vs "real" linear rail and bearings?

plasmator
06-18-2014, 08:01 PM
I've been shopping for a 4'x4' CNC router for some time now, and CNCRouterParts is probably the most attractive that I've seen thus far. I have a little skepticism about the cold rolled steel rail though. Seems like using an unground, mill-finish, mild steel rail is not something that will provide much accuracy or precision. I also saw a thread that said their rail steel showed up bent and had rust spots. Can someone tell me how well this works in practice?

On a related note, how can I expect this machine to perform vs, say a ShopBot (I have no idea what linear motion system they use, just that they're popular)? Thanks!

plasmator
06-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Hmm, nobody?

ger21
06-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Not sure if it's affecting everyone the same, but there's currently a problem with the forum, and many of us are not able to see any new posts. This is the first time I saw this.

Shopbots use the same V Rollers, but I think they use a larger size, and they use hardened V track. There probably isn't a lot of difference, as long as you get the CNCRP "rails" mounted straight.

When comparing V rollers to "real" linear bearings, like THK or Hiwin, there's no comparison. Profile rails and bearings are far superior. They also cost a LOT more.