PDA

View Full Version : Problem Auto Z Touch Plate

kaetamer
04-10-2014, 04:42 PM
I've got a CNCRP 4824 Pro. The touch plate is using pin 13 as its input and I think I've confirmed it's working because I can trigger it by tapping the alligator clip to the brass plate and getting confirmation of pin 13 from Mach3. The VB code is entered as suggested, Mach3 restarted.

When I start Auto Tool Zero the bit ignores the contact with the brass plate and has to be stopped with the EStop. If I clip the alligator clip to the bit, some motor (Z stepper?) "thumps" loudly and rapidly and nothing moves.

I believe I've followed the setup correctly; the results would suggest otherwise. Any help as to where to look for the problem?
Thanks for your help.
Scott

kaetamer
04-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Some more info for your dining pleasure. When I start the Auto Tool Zero and the spindle is descending, if I touch the alligator clip to the bronze pad (without the tool touching the pad) the Z stops immediately and retracts as it should. I assume this establishes the Auto Tool Zero macro is actually working. When the clip is attached to the tool in the spindle, and I engage the Auto Tool Zero, Mach3 assumes the bit is ALREADY touching the brass pad and the motor noises are the Z stepper trying to stop and ascend at the same time? This implies a short between the spindle and the BOB?
Scott

Bubba
04-10-2014, 08:33 PM
do you have pin 13 connected to the touch plate or to the gator clip???? Basically, the tool IS grounded to begin with (although intermittently).

Pin 13 should be tied to the touch plate (insulated from the machine) and the gator clip should be tied to ground.

my .02

kaetamer
04-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Give that man a cigar! It was wired backwards. All is well now.
Thanks Bubba.
Scott

Bubba
04-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks, but quit smoking years ago:}) Just glad some of my prior experience could be of benefit to someone else.

Glad you got it working as it is a real handy tool to have.

kaetamer
04-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Beer?

Bubba
04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Been known to do that:})

FoxCNC1
04-11-2014, 11:34 PM
mine, doesn't work sometime when the alligator clip in on the bits. I sometimes hold it to the tool holder and then it works consistently... not sure why.