PDA

View Full Version : acet./oxy. welding troubles

semiwelder
06-19-2006, 01:56 PM
:cheers:
Hi guys.
I am trying to relocate lock box on a security door from home depot. I cut the box out and cut the new location section out higher. I am not profesional welder but I have done some weldings before but this time it's a puzzle for me. In certain spots I have made nice welds but different location it just makes lot of crust which comes off by hammer so the melting rod foamed in to a crust. My torch is low pressure or injector type. The tip is 0 size so I tuned the oxy to 9psi and acet. to 1psi. I am doing something wrong I am sure and I believe that there is some master to guide me.
Thanks.

Mcgyver
06-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I keep mine 1:1, around 4 maybe but that's with a small tip. move it up for bigger tips. I'm no welder but maybe thatll get you started until the more knowledgeable show up

semiwelder
06-26-2006, 12:09 PM
:rolleyes: I adjusted thouse valves at recomended/yours as well settings and still I am getting 95% crust left from the welding rod. I am using Lincoln Carbon Steel, US-W301C. At this point I don't feel even as a semiwelder. What's my solution? Thanks

Karl_T
06-26-2006, 12:34 PM
You're getting an oxidixing gas around the weld. Too much O2.

Same thing happens if you forget and leave gas turned off on MIG or TIG. DAMHIKT

Karl

Mcgyver
06-26-2006, 12:40 PM
hmmm, that number is a msds number? i get one hit on google and the sheet refers to several types of rod. I just use regular low carbon, copper coated O/A welding rod, 3/32 or 1/8 iirc. I have no idea why you are getting that crust - sorry, like i say i don't want to represent myself as a competent or expert welder, hopefully the bump brings forth some experts.

there's one now :D