PDA

View Full Version : Musclechuck versus Precise bits collet

FoxCNC1
02-15-2014, 08:14 AM
I recently purchased and Precise bit collect to replace the standard collect on my bosh router.
I just learned about the existence of the musclechuck collect and I really like that quick disconnect. As a matter of fact I am considering a switch but I am want to know how it would stack up in term of run-out and precision to the product I have.

The one company's selling point it being able to "quickly" change bits, the others is precision.

ger21
02-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Musclechuck and other similar quick change chucks/collets usually have a lot of runout. There's a reason that you won't find a single one in use in any of the build logs here.

Iirc, there may be a thread or two here that review those chucks.
Also not that it seemed like you'll be using a lot of small bit? If so, 1/8" shank bits would require an adapter, further adding to the runout.

FoxCNC1
02-15-2014, 09:45 AM
I had the feeling. Thank you for the answer.

freecncplans
03-29-2014, 11:14 PM
The runout on the collet is pretty high. It has a long setup time and we still haven't gotten it to work. Great idea if it will work for us.

nlancaster
03-30-2014, 01:47 PM
I was given a musclechuck for my hitachi m12vc. After spending hours fiddiling with it was only ever able to get it down to .002 runout. This caused huge vibration at speed. My m12vc is less then .001 runout on its own, with a 1/2inch shank bit.