PDA

View Full Version : Problem Dead Kress 1050 fme-1

kjk2002
02-14-2014, 09:44 PM
After 6 weeks of hassle getting this spindle, it died after only 3 hours of operation. It was performing well and I thought I had made a good choice until it quit in the middle of a finishing pass. Clearly an electrical problem, the spindle will start, speed up and then stop immediately if I cycle the power on it.

Anyone got any experience with these? I opened it up and checked connections and brushes - all OK - I'm out of ideas other than replacing the magnet ring or ordering a new electronics module. Right now I feel like tossing it in the trash and buying a Hitachi M12.

It was nice while it ran though and I'd like to fix it if I can. Warranty repair is out of the question - shipping would be more than it cost.

jalessi
02-14-2014, 10:35 PM
After 6 weeks of hassle getting this spindle, it died after only 3 hours of operation. It was performing well and I thought I had made a good choice until it quit in the middle of a finishing pass. Clearly an electrical problem, the spindle will start, speed up and then stop immediately if I cycle the power on it.

Anyone got any experience with these? I opened it up and checked connections and brushes - all OK - I'm out of ideas other than replacing the magnet ring or ordering a new electronics module. Right now I feel like tossing it in the trash and buying a Hitachi M12.

It was nice while it ran though and I'd like to fix it if I can. Warranty repair is out of the question - shipping would be more than it cost.

Midwest Circuit Technologies (North America) may do a Kress warranty repair and they stock parts.

See attached link:

Kress Spindle - MCT (http://www.mctinfo.net/kress-spindle/cat_40.html)

Jeff...

CaptainVee
02-15-2014, 04:02 AM
I've had a similar experience, powering up to max revs, then shutting down. It was repaired under warranty. I think they had to replace literally every part, including the housing.
It took quite some time because most of those parts are not often replaced during repairs and had to be ordered separately each time the machine still did not work...

Tkamsker
02-15-2014, 04:41 AM
I tried Milling Alu top fast so it got Stuck was repaired in warranty 2 weeks no problem ..

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

kjk2002
02-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the replies guys - I will replace the magnetic ring in the speed sensor and see if that fixes the problem, and I think I will eventually get it working again, but I had better get another spindle. I bought the Kress for its speed range and quality of build. In hindsight, buying something that is so poorly supported over here (no matter how well it is made) was a mistake. In Europe it would be another matter.

I bought brushes and a magnetic ring with the initial purchase so I've got a ring to try.

CaptainVee
02-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Check if the ring is loose before you replace it, glue back with super glue was the advice I got from Kress or their representative.

kjk2002
02-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Heading to the shop now - thanks for the tip

kjk2002
02-15-2014, 01:02 PM
OK - here's the latest info.

When set to maximum speed, the spindle winds up and shuts down as I said before. When set to lowest speed, it winds up well past the correct speed and keeps running. I didn't try intermediate speeds, but when it failed last night, it was running at speed setting 4.

I took the spindle apart as far as I could, the field housing seems to be pressed into the housing somehow and I don't want to force it - it may be a replaceable assembly in that form. The top bearing seats into a plastic cup and it appears to me that it may have been rotating in the cup - there is a plastic bit (dust shield) under the bearing between the bearing and the magnet ring and I found a shard from it loose in the bearing cup. The bearing seems to be in excellent condition apart from damage to the shield.

The magnet ring is a slip fit on the shaft and the bearing sits directly on top of it. I can rotate the magnet ring easily, but absent some pressure on it, it should rotate with the armature as intended. The bearing's rotation may be causing the magnet ring to generate a false speed reading by stopping its rotation. I don't know how I can get the bearing off - I don't have a puller that will get in there. I guess I could make one if necessary.

So here's the decision to make: Do I somehow fix the bearing into the cup so it can't rotate, or do I fix the magnet ring to the shaft (crazy glue was suggested) - or do I do both?

kjk2002
02-15-2014, 10:19 PM
OK - Problem resolved. The magnet ring was cracked. Replaced it and it runs again, but for how long who knows. I only ordered 1 magnet ring :-(

victorofga
02-16-2014, 08:45 AM
on another post someone replaced kress to a spindle with inverter..
you get at least 2-3 year without real maintenance..

CNC 80mm ER11 1 5KW Water Cooled Motor Spindle and Drive Inverter VFD | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-80MM-ER11-1-5KW-WATER-COOLED-MOTOR-SPINDLE-AND-DRIVE-INVERTER-VFD-/260995057966?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc484892e)

this is 1.5 kw and 80mm dia , the 800 watt only 65 mm dia and about same price..

kress going somewhere 3-400 dollar and these spindles starting from 300 with inverter.. while kress is a brushed motor these spindles are brushless..

kress single phase, these spindles are 3 phse motors.. they coming about 2 weeks..