PDA

View Full Version : How to design a injection mold

thanhct
06-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi everyone
Now i'm interesting in injection mold. but i'm only a beginer in this field.when i was a student, I 'd studied in mechanical fields but not in injection Mold.
So I need your helps to design a mold, knowledge in this field.
:cheers: thanks to everyone

mc_n_g
06-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Take a look around the internet. There is plenty of stuff. Here is a small place to start.

http://www.protomold.com/designguidelines/

http://www.media.mit.edu/physics/pedagogy/fab/moldguru/mold.html

mc_n_g

thanhct
06-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks mc_n_g.
I've took a look around the internet many times. But not jet found this stuff. Thanks alot.
Now, i have some good stuff to start.

MrMold
06-17-2006, 04:01 PM
I suggest getting some hands on experience first. The best mold designers always seem to start out working in the shop first. A picture may be worth a thousand words but hands on experience is worth a thousand pictures.

Zombiestomp
06-26-2006, 12:08 AM
what type of parts are you thinking about molding If I may ask?

toolrm
04-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi, Chip Sweeper. I like that name. And that is where most of the best moldmakers started. There was'nt a course in High School or College. You started in a moldmaking shop sweeping the floors and polishing dies for what seemed like months on end. (Wax on Wax off) Sorry about the Karate Kid reference. If you are good at geometry,good with your hands , and have a common sense approach to tasks, you will be fine. Too many of the young
inductees rely on the computer to do their thinking for them. The computer is a fantastic tool. But you decide what the best route is based on production requirements and applications. If it works , it was a great idea! That you will learn from F-ing up a few hundred times. It's called experience. There are many things to consider in designing an injection mold. I like to start with gate location, work through ejector requirements, cooling, insert details, venting and on and on. Nothing is written in stone. Always leave yourself as many options as you can. You may have to change something down the engineering highway. The satisfaction you get from the experience is looking at a part design from the engineering department, getting them to change a few details for tooling purposes, breaking down the what seems to be endless detail into smaller jobs , and putting it all together to create a reliable production mold. That's how you make money in the business. Unless I can get someone else to do it, and I can go skiing(or fishing) instead ! Have fun.