PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Maximum height to vacuum form?

takaaaa
02-13-2014, 02:13 AM
Greetings,
So I'm going to be trying to vacuum forming some pretty tall rectangular pieces. Problem is, is that I need to vacuum form it standing up, and not on its side.
some pieces vary from 9" tall all the way to 20" tall. Is this even possible? I'm going to be using .060 or .095 Acrylic.
I undertand that the taller it is, the more it will stretch and thinner the pull will be. So should I use a larger sheet for each piece to give extra material to stretch without being too thin?

Also is the more suction the better? I'm thinking about using two shop vacs and a strong vacuum cleaner to get lots of suction power.

Master of nun
02-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Hi Takaaaa,

The general rule of thumb is a working envelope, taking an imaginary 45 degree line up from around the edge of the platen....different shapes give different results of coarse.

If the parts have very vertical sides you will more than likely have issues with webbing with a part that high.

Can you post some pictures of the parts for others to make further comment?

jdougn
02-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Draft will be another issue on tall parts. You are aware that the plastic will lock to the mold if the sides are 90 degrees. Maintaining around 5 degrees of draft on a 20" tall part will drastically change the overall profile.