PDA

View Full Version : Dnc server

PSIman
05-24-2006, 02:57 AM
Any one have any experiences with Dnc servers?? Good or bad???

I work at a shop that has about 20 CNC machines with Mazak, Fanuc, Mitsubishi , Yasnac controls connected to 3 PC’s via rs232 switch boxes. Having two people programming/setting up at the same time has caused more headaches than I care to speak of. I’m hoping (more like praying) that a DNC server is the answer to our problem.

What’s the popular software and hardware?? Is the hardware proprietary to the software maker?

Thanks for any help
Matt

gar
05-24-2006, 08:53 AM
060524-0737 EST USA

PSIman:

Can you more completely define your problem.

1. What is your definition of a server?
2. Do you require simultaneous transmission of data to to more than one machine? Such as drip feeding over a very long time. Long time probably means at least a few minutes. Besides drip feeding it might mean sending very large files.
3. How are the three computers interconnected, if at all?
4. What is the logical arrangement of your switch boxes?
5. What are your cable lengths, and baud rates?
6. How do you initiate file transfer between a computer and a CNC?
7. Does each computer have to communicate with all the CNCs?
8. Do you have error problems that require resending files?

Not necessarily directly related, but you may find useful inforation at my web site www.beta-a2.com .

PSIman
05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
1. umm. I’m not that computer savvy, we're looking for a easier way of networking our pc's and cnc so can send and receive with out setting switch boxes

2. Drip feed is not need. Simultaneous data transmission, we don’t need to send the programs at the same time, but we have computers in two offices so we would prefer not having to change switch boxes

3. Tcp/ip network

4. not sure

5. longest cable is about 50ft to 75ft. the baud rate is 2400 and 4800

6. First set the switch boxes, 1st box selects computer, next two boxes set which machine. Next set the Pc/cnc receive, then send from Pc/cnc. We are using Bobcad

7. Yes

8. The only problems we have are damaged communication cable or wrong baud rate

Thanks
Matt

gar
05-24-2006, 07:39 PM
060524-1836 EST USA

PSIman:

Call me at 734-930-6136. Any time between 7 AM to 10 PM Eastern Daylight Time. This would make it easier to converge on some possibilities for you.

Fairbanks
07-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I recommend using DLoG Shop Floor Data Management's remote access DNC server. All files are uploaded and downloaded strictly from control with no PC interaction required.

gar
07-17-2006, 02:04 PM
060717-1255 EST USA

Fairbanks:

Describe in detail the operator interaction at the CNC for transfer of files to and from the CNC.

What are the limitations and special things one has to do?
How do you specify the path and file name? What limitations?
How is turn-around handled?
What controls does the software work on?
How do you create the file name on the PC for a program you send from the CNC?
Do you require or can you use a barcode reader at the CNC? How is it interfaced?

Fairbanks
07-17-2006, 02:56 PM
1)The control must have the letters and numbers of the file you wish to recieve. For example: If your file is named 1234.nc the CNC control need only to be able to modify a small file by inserting 1234 inside, then punch (output) program. If the file however is called SR135_Turn.nc then the contorl must be able to input all characters in filename.
2)Paths are stored on server and are predefined by programmer. If fanuc type control is used and you punch file O1276 this file will be saved as 1276
Different controls allow you to name programs, like Okuma can be punched as BoringOp.min

3) Not sure what you mean?
4)Most, see answer 1
5)see answer 2
6)No barcode reader required. Uses RS232 interface on control to Serial Device server. Device servers come in 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 port denominations.
Obviously if the machines are grouped close it is cheaper to wire them to the same SDS.

Let me know if this makes sense to you or if you have any more questions.

gar
07-17-2006, 04:46 PM
060717-1508 EST USA

Fairbanks:

Consider HAAS only for the moment.

Unless we can somehow embed the filename in CNC code the filename must be within a comment. This greatly limits our character set.

After you send this small file
%O8000
(1234)
M30
%

what do you do?

You need to change from HAAS SEND to RECV. But note HAAS RTS is always high under these conditions so you can not use this to inhibit the sending of the file from the PC to the CNC. I assume you have to have a time delay at the PC before you turn around and send the requested file. How long is this time delay? Or do you have some other technique? This relates to your response 3.

If you use software handshake, then how do you handle the turn around?

It appears that the file extension on the file at the PC is assumed to be .NC . Is that correct?

Still on HAAS if I send a CNC or for that matter DPRNT data or anything else to the PC how is that filename generated?

How long does it take to send 100 very short files from HAAS to the PC?

Dan Fritz
07-17-2006, 06:45 PM
We sell DNC systems for a living, and we can offer you a DNC server program called "PC-DNC Plus". This software runs on any Windows PC, and will let you use up to 256 different serial (COM) ports to communicate with up to 256 CNC machines simultaneously.

The PC-DNC Plus Server software responds to "remote" file requests from the CNC control, so you never have to touch the computer when uploading or downloading files. You make a 1-block program in your CNC with a file request, like so:

O1234 (GET-FILENAME.TXT) - This is a request for file "FILENAME.TXT"

Or, if your files just have numbers as file names, you can use this:

O1234 T6789 - This is a request for file "6789"

When you enter the request command, you then send this 1-block program with the PUNCH key, wait a few seconds, then press the READ key to download the file into your CNC.

Sending a program back to PC-DNC Plus is even easier. You just send the file. PC-DNC Plus sees the program identifier in the program, and saves the file in the assigned directory automatically.

PC-DNC Plus can use native serial ports on your PC (COM1-COM4), or it can use Ethernet serial hubs, USB serial hubs, or Wireless Ethernet Serial Device Servers.

The PC-DNC Plus Server software is sold on a "per port" basis. For a quote on software, serial hardware, or any installation and training that you may require, contact John Hosmon at Refresh Your Memory, Inc. John's email address is john@rym.com and their phone number is (408) 224-9167.

Fairbanks
07-18-2006, 09:51 AM
You can get the HAAS machine in the state "Waiting for Data" as quick as you like. You are correct, since the HAAS machine does not send out a XON character upon hitting "recieve" there is a definable timeout that can be set on server. So after file is recieved, and the appropriate file is ready to be sent back to Haas, a timer of say, 10 seconds in delay before file is transmitted to HAAS.

You can definitely put the file name within a comment
O88888
(whatever you like)
M30
%
This example looks for whatever you like

Yes the .nc or any extension for that matter is already predefined on the server configuration.

Sending 100 very short files can be done very quickly, especially with 9600 baud rather than 4800, Every time software sees O it knows to save as new file.