PDA

View Full Version : Help with electronics 101

bb99
11-13-2003, 01:54 PM
Hi CNCers,

I've been trying to find a good book (or web site) that would teach me enough of the fundamentals of electronics so that I could build my first CNC machine. I'm looking for something that will also guide me through some practical exercises as well. I'm not a complete idiot. I have changed a light bulb (lamp?) one or twice before and I do know how to operate a wall switch, but beyond that, I'm in the dark.:confused:

Thanks,
bb99

HomeCNC
11-14-2003, 12:44 PM
You don't need to know electronics to build the machine. It's almost not worth the time and trouble to build the drives when you can get a Xylotex board or something like it.

cncadmin
11-14-2003, 01:55 PM
I agree, you can buy boards ready to go and only need to hook up wire and amybe some soldering.

bb99
11-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Hi HomeCNC,

I agree. And I expect that when I do build, I'll be using as much off-the-shelf parts as I can find for the controller. But, there are two main reasons why I'd still like to learn:

1 I'd like to run two motors for one axis. The only way I've found to do this is to run two axes in sync. What I'd like to do is build a small board that comes from the controller for a single axis and "split" it into two motors. It'll be the board's responsibility to keep the two motors in sync (not the controller's). This is my idea, anyway, but since I don't know much about electronics I'm not sure how to do this and if it's practical to do. (I'm doing this for the learning experience of designing and building my own board, and if it doesn't work, well I can always sync two of the axes).

2 More importantly, I'm using this experience to expand my knowledge. I'm a computer programmer (for about 15 years now) and have a strong grasp of s/w development. I have, however, little knowledge of the h/w side and wish to learn. Also, the more I know, the more I'll understand many of the discussions here at CNCZone!

So, all though I do agree it's not necessary, I'd still like to learn.

Thanks,
bb99

ger21
11-14-2003, 06:03 PM
It'll probably be a lot easier to just use 2 drives - one for each motor. Mach 2 will let you slave them together, and I believe (not 100% sure) that in TurboCNC, you can have more than one axis use the same designation.

Gerry