PDA

View Full Version : new biuld 24 x 48

dertsap
05-13-2006, 01:00 PM
well i was going to go 4 x 6 but decided to stick to the size of my original build, i designed my gantry in a way that once the spindle is on it will be sitting centered to the base of the gantry , the last one hung out past it ,which i think caused some problems when pushing a fair bit of torque against it , y and z i am using drill rod and bronze bushings which slide pretty freely , the x i am still not 100% sure of the direction i want to go ,but here are some picks of the system partially together

Bowman
05-13-2006, 01:33 PM
I think your wise to design the gantry so that the spindle is centered over the the base. When you think about the weight of the gantry top and the forces of accel and decel going back and forth with the moment being 12-20" away from your contact points is going to make the top want to swing with each direction change. Looks like you have a good start going. I will be starting a build log soon and that is a definete consideration in my design. Even using bearing blocks and precision rail the weight of the gantry at that moment is a factor and I really don't want it offset far from the centerline.

dertsap
05-13-2006, 02:26 PM
ive built and butchered few gantry designs experimenting with lead screws and slides and such , i think i found what i like and i beleave the balancing act should well work to my benifit , and if it works well enough it will be incorporated into my design for a 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 table which i hope to do by next year , this table will be used to built the parts for it , and once its complete i will pass this one off to my two boys ,hopefully by then i can have them understanding fractions and decimals as a kid i hated math so i know what their going thru

Bowman
05-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I thought of a good example of weight and moment that demonstrates how the weight offset shifts the point of pressure exerted. I made one of these in high school to show a science teacher and it baffled him and others as it would appear to defy the laws of gravity.

Here is a dxf file I made a quick drawing of the piece it can be made from a little piece of scrap wood. Just make the wedge and hang a belt from your pants in the slot centered and hanging towards the tip of the wedge. Place the tip of the wedge on a table or your fingertip and it will stick straight out. Simple demo of how the transfer of weight over a distance can be applied to one small location and depended on to support the entire weight.

Bowman
05-13-2006, 03:07 PM
I forgot I have a dig cam now hehe so I had to go make one of these again myself. Took about 66 seconds I think :) anyway here are a few pics of the wedge. Your kids should find this interesting to show friends. Anything you can do to spark and keep interest in gaining knowledge is a good thing.

dertsap
05-13-2006, 03:15 PM
BRILLIANT ! i didn t quite catch the concept from your earlier post so i went outside cut a piece of wood and tried it ( doing it the wrong way) , but i gotcha now , ive got to try that ,

dertsap
05-13-2006, 03:26 PM
OK so call me an overgrown kid ,but the first thing i did was run back to my workshop to see it in action , but i do see how the weight distribution is as you said

Bowman
05-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I think we are all overgrown kids here. Why do you think I had to go make one AGAIN ;) Going out to dinner with the family for mothers day I will have to bring my highly engineered wedge to show my nephew. Just hope he doesn't want it as making another would be hard to do lol.. I will be selling plans for the wedge R2 in the near future. :cheers:

dertsap
05-13-2006, 03:43 PM
if your showing the nephew i d say its as good as gone , and are you sure you can t put the r2 wedge open source ??? but then i suppose research and develpment is never cheap .

thanks dude

jdholbrook
05-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Had something very similar when I was a kid only it was shaped like a "7".
Lay the belt in the crook of the 7 and balance it on your finger at the base as a sort of laying down 7.
Pretty cool.

dertsap
05-22-2006, 09:13 PM
got er pretty much together everything is quite smooth on all axis , next is to build a table to put it onto and build an enclosure around it ,and connect a dust collector to it , i learned on the last setup that i'm blowing dust out of my nose for a few days and hacking up mdf , so the enclosure is a must , also is a pic of what my one track mind has reduced my once tidy workshop to , suppose next step should be to clean this up

HayTay
05-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Yo, Derstap!

Ummmmm... Isn't your Z-azis is gonna be kinda slow??? Just kidding!!!

Kudos on your second(?) build. Is the bed 24"x48" or is the cut size 24"x48", or both?

I'm currently using my JGRO table to cut out Joe's CNC model 2006 R-2 machine (definitely needs a cooler name). It's amazing how much more space a CNC machine capable of cutting a full 24"x48" sheet takes up. I may have to send a bunch of my extra stuff to "2muchstuff". Nah, as soon as I do I'll need it.

Again, congrats',

HayTay

dertsap
05-22-2006, 10:57 PM
the bed is 24x48 , cutting space will be roughly 18 x 36 the bigger cutting space would be nice but i think this will do in order to slow build the final one which i plan to have a min of 4'x6' or 8' cutting space , my problem is space , next year i will be expanding my workshop which is only 10'x12 at this point , so with all my power tools and crap leaves me very little room

Jason Marsha
05-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Congrats dertsap good looking machine. Don't forget the video of the machine working.

Bowman,
That wedge is way cool even the wife had to admit it was cool as I had it on the edge of a chair.

Jason

HayTay
05-27-2006, 10:51 AM
next is to build a table to put it onto and build an enclosure around it ,and connect a dust collector to it , i learned on the last setup that i'm blowing dust out of my nose for a few days and hacking up mdf , so the enclosure is a must
The enclosure and dust collector are must have items. I built an enclosure (see pics) but haven't started on the dust collector, yet. The enclosure cuts down on probably 97% of the dust that collects on everything in your house/workshop. Using a ShopVac after cutting is time consuming, extremely noisy, and not very cost effective given the price of the filters. It also helps to throw another 1-3% of the dust back into the air to settle on everything in your house/workshop. It won't be very long before I start construction on a Cyclone Dust Collector ala Bill Pentz (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm).

That wedge is way cool
Yes it is! And if you look closely in the pictures I posted you can find another use for them, too.

Hope y'all like the enclosure,

HayTay

dertsap
05-27-2006, 02:50 PM
haytay thanks for the pics ,that looks like a pretty good setup ,its nice to see pics of what other guys have done for enclosures so i don t have to bounce around too many ideas in my head before i build mine ,

i m currently working on getting my geckos hooked up and neatly packaged in an old computer case , time to streamline everything so i don t have stuff all over the place, the mess is beginning to get under control again so i hope it can stay that way

dertsap
05-28-2006, 03:18 AM
well i got my new geckos up and running , they have made a huge difference compared to the fet3 i was running before ,
had me stumped for a while though , i spent a lot of time mounting the electronics in an old pc case , everything is quick connections so that i can break it all down easily , after a lot of carefull time spent connecting everything it was time for the test , turn on the computer power up the drivers , and the only axis that would move was the x , i looked everything over and over again , nothing was wrong , tryed it again , only x ,
looked at it all over again and thought about it the onlything it could be is the port cable that i picked up today ,tryed a different one and it all works , what a relief that was, i didn t like to leave the drivers run when there is a problem , thats all i need is to blow up brand new drivers !! but its all good , tommorrow i will connect the spindle and she should be cutting really soon

last nite i wanted to install emc onto an old dell ive got , i think the ram stick i put into it was no good ,about 5 minutes into the install the pc stut down dead ,cooked it ,
so no problem i have another one powered it up and forgot about connecting the mouse and keyboard ,so i pulled the plug ,did my connections then tryed to power up NOTHING , killed another one , from what i understant the old pc s don t like to be shutdown like that ,so i cooked another one , oh well still have my main one , and im going to have to buy another couple of spare computers , at 10 buck a pop its not a big worry , but it still ticked me off just the same , needless to say i haven t got the emc running yet, but i did download a live copy onto my home computer to try it and see how it looks , and i have to say it looks pretty good , can t wait to try it

joecnc2006
05-28-2006, 03:56 AM
last nite i wanted to install emc onto an old dell ive got , i think the ram stick i put into it was no good ,about 5 minutes into the install the pc stut down dead ,cooked it ,
so no problem i have another one powered it up and forgot about connecting the mouse and keyboard ,so i pulled the plug ,did my connections then tryed to power up NOTHING , killed another one , from what i understant the old pc s don t like to be shutdown like that ,so i cooked another one , oh well still have my main one , and im going to have to buy another couple of spare computers , at 10 buck a pop its not a big worry , but it still ticked me off just the same , needless to say i haven t got the emc running yet, but i did download a live copy onto my home computer to try it and see how it looks , and i have to say it looks pretty good , can t wait to try it

I used EMC before and it works good, you just need to edit the .INI file, I used the generic one and not the sherline, there are three different interfaces you can use i believe, and it also has a tool path window you can have open which i liked.

here is a picture of it last year when i tried it out.

dertsap
05-28-2006, 04:27 AM
how did you find the emc in comparison to other windows controllers?

joecnc2006
05-28-2006, 05:55 AM
how did you find the emc in comparison to other windows controllers?

It ran pretty good, better than Kcam, and others i tried, But Mach3 is far the best in windows, and it also seemed to make my machine run a little smoother than EMC, but i have not tried the new EMC2 yet.

Joe

dertsap
05-30-2006, 12:25 AM
ive been cuttin me some circle today , finally cutting , ive got to do some more testing but its running well so far , voltage is at the min for the geckos so i m on the prowel for another power supply that matches the one i have so i can run it in series to get 48v ,but till then im far happier than i was with my very first settup ,heres a video if anyone wants to check it out , done on my digital camera so the quality isn t that good

i did the spindle mounts today with the bracket pieces from 4 muffler clamps worked perfect!

its cutting 80ipm @.25 dp
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/5/29/42142/the%20test.AVI

Bowman
05-30-2006, 09:12 AM
:) well done looks like it is cutting nicely.. Are you getting any backlash in your circles? Keep the test cutting pics coming.

Bowman

joecnc2006
05-30-2006, 11:39 AM
What controllor software you end up going with?, motors, ps, which gekos, breakout board, etc.

dertsap
05-30-2006, 07:10 PM
hard to say at this point how bad the backlash is ,i still need to square up the x and y axis but the deviations that ive been getting is aprox .01 ,
im using the mach demo ,kcam can t hand the high steps on my old computer , the geckos are the 201 model , the motors are vexta unipolar ph299-01 on x y and ph299-02 on the z from what ive gathered they are 300 oz motors , the x and y use 3/4 -6 acme connected with spider couplers and a flang bearing at the other end , and the z right now is 1/2-13 ready rod ,i need to shim the leadscrews in the couplers a bit more to get them more concentric, the screw bounces a little and i can see it in the cut, other than that im quite happy

youve got to see what i ve just unloaded outa my truck , they are doing a cleanup at work and scraped this , its mostly alum channel except a couple of pieces of steel ,notice the one piece all welded up , thats going to be the beginning of my (maybe) final router i'll use it for the base it approx 4 x 6 just what i wanted

haven t even finished this one yet , oh the joy!

Bowman
05-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Ah yes freebies from work. I lucked out a few months ago when work was tossing some "obsolete," proprietary PLC molding electronics modules. Asked for permission to salvage them for my amusement got the paperwork saying I take ownership they take no responsibility for my death lol. Long story short I find a large reseller online and get a $1600 check for the lot they even paid the freight :) Almost makes up for the taxes taken out my bonus this year :finger: waving to Uncle Sugar. Obsolete my ass, might be to us but someone out there needs it and if its no longer made its worth $$$$. I told them to let me know anytime their about to toss out anything else obsolete ;)

So when will the pics be up of the NEW router? heh

dertsap
06-05-2006, 11:57 PM
well ive finally got the bdi emc installed , ended up writing over top of my windows , so the xp is dead , maybe for good even if i don t approve of the linux system i think im going back to win 98 , xp is a hog on that old pc , anyhow the brain dead install lives up to its name , pretty slick little system ,i just need to figure out how to setup the software and i should be rocking , the emc looks pretty basic and straight forward which is quite nice , hopefully i can configure hot keys to set it to what i want ,
i will keep you posted how the emc2 system works for me ,and if anyone using it has any pointers on it please let me know ,like most guys i hate reading manuals , but i think i will be doing a fair bit of reading to get this baby up an runnin

and bowman the pics for the new one will be posted this winter , this fall , a couple months , next month , next week ,sooooon