PDA

View Full Version : New CRP 4896 build log.

eastbridge
11-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi All,

I recently purchased the CRP 4896 kit with NEMA 34 motors, and want to pass on my experience building it. Everything has shipped, the extrusion arrived yesterday while I was out of the house, looking forward to delivery on Friday. I have not yet built a base, am debating between wood or steel. Insights, thoughts, cautions, and celebrations are all welcomed!

Jared

vtx1029
11-28-2013, 04:25 PM
If $ is not an issue Use steel. That said there is nothing wrong with wood either. Congrats

Gorilla83
12-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Looking forward to your build as I'll be starting my 5x8 or 5x10 pro build shortly as well.

I'm also debating wood vs. steel. Wood obviously faster to construct in my case but not quite as rigid. I'm not a welder so will either have to call in a friend or pick up a new skill to accomplish the steel table. ;)

eastbridge
12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Very happy to report that the extrusion arrived yesterday, and the electronics and hardware should be here today! The saga begins...

Leaning towards the steel at this point. Having all the pieces precut, it should be a breeze to assemble. I'm taking inspiration from Azul's CRP4896 table, though I plan to add a bottom shelf for full sheet storage. I haven't seen anyone that used wood who found the rigidity to be an issue, at least yet.

Congratulations on your machine gorilla83, Sounds like a monster! What will you be using it for?

Gorilla83
12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
EB - Where do you buy your precut steel from? I'm new to that part, so starting to look around. I'd really like to go steel if at all possible and not cost prohibitive. Are you going 2" or 2.5" square tubes?

I'm primarily be cutting plywood in BB 5x5 and 4x8 sheets. I'm a big DIY audio guy so lots of speaker experiments, furniture, signs, puzzles, etc. Strictly hobby use for myself and friends/family at this point. ;)

eastbridge
12-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm getting the steel from international metal supply in Burbank CA. They are a pretty serious supplier. I'm going to use 1-1/12"x3" rectangular tubing. It will probably be a bit overbuilt, counting on the flat sheet storage underneath to add extra mass for stability

Gorilla83
12-05-2013, 07:45 AM
Sounds great! Get some pictures up as soon as you can.

What are you thinking of using for holding down your stock? Clamps? Screws? Vacuum table? :)

eastbridge
12-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Everything arrived yesterday! I haven't opened any boxes yet, trying to get the base set up before I dig in..

I'm going to try one of the DIY vacuum table designs, anticipating mostly sheet stock.

Gorilla83
12-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Eastbridge - How is the build coming along? :)

eastbridge
12-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Hey Gorilla83! After an unexpected break in the assembly, I am back on track. Before I left town, I stopped by Industrial Metal Supply to pick up steel for the table top. I decided to go with 1 1/2" x 3" rectangular steel tubing with 1/8" sidewalls for the base. I had everything precut, total came to 291 for everything, along with substantial remnants from the original 20' sections. Welding the base together was really easy with everything cut to length. We were able to bang it out in a long day, along with a couple of coats of Rustoleum Navy Blue. After getting the table in place and rearranging the shop a bit to find the perfect home, we started to assemble the frame. everything slots together so easily! Everything is in place, and will be getting attached and leveled/squared today, along with the installation of the rails. I am lucky to have a few extra hands from friends from architecture school here to help me assemble. I'm offering two hours of run time for every hour of assembly help:) So far so good. I'm including pics of the progress below./Users/mothership/Desktop/IMG_7494.JPG /Users/mothership/Desktop/IMG_7502.jpg /Users/mothership/Desktop/IMG_7516.jpg /Users/mothership/Desktop/IMG_7519.jpg /Users/mothership/Desktop/IMG_7528.jpg /Users/mothership/Desktop/IMG_7538.JPG

eastbridge
12-24-2013, 10:46 AM
also included pics of the leveling feet we made. The welds aren't winning any awards, but they're strong. The rack on the bottom is for sheet stock, the extra mass will be great for stability.

landarts
12-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Build looks great, awesome to see another steel table base.....I will keep you posted on the 4th axis as it comes together. Nice looking work area that should be great for inspiration!

eastbridge
12-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Super productive day yesterday, got most of the frame built. Was missing the hardware for the gear rack, so was unable to install that, but got the gantry up and moving, and the z axis installed. 215860215862

Www.eastbridgestudio.com

Frankmali17
01-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Hello Eastbridge...
Great looking machine so far...
How do you feel about the Vgroove bearings and Steel guides so Far...
How easy do you think it is to get perfectly true/straight alignemt in this system...
What I mean is.. for example... I would want to make sure the X and Y axis bearing travel down a perfectly straight path.. which would allow for perfectly straight cuts in the material...

Looks awesome so far.
What kind of motors and electronics are you planning for this build?

eastbridge
01-16-2014, 07:11 AM
Hey Frankmali! I haven't had a chance to test absolute tolerances yet, but I was able to get them aligned to my satisfaction. I have just finished hooking up the motors and running the cabling. I still need to tackle wiring the box, but my momentum feels good218932218934218936

Www.eastbridgestudio.com