PDA

View Full Version : Dremel Based Wood Routers

Mhiran
11-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Hello!
Basically, I wish to make a wooden CNC router, however, on all the wood based machines on the net, they all use a dremel or a rotozip tool. Is this because a proper router would cause too much stress on the structure? Because it is too heavy, or just because nobody has done it?
Thanks
Mhiran

bunalmis
11-04-2003, 06:47 AM
This small type hand machines not good for a long time using.
You must find high power machine.

This is my idea.

I take chines marque drill machine (130W) and motor burned after 2 hour.

(Yes Dremel better than Chines machine.)

kong
11-04-2003, 07:04 AM
On my first router (all MDF construction), I used a B&Q router. 1250w, still going strong. Nice machine for about £70. Dremels are fine for very light use, but like bunalmis said, they will not last if you are running some long codes. The other option is to find a pro-duty die grinder if you want a small spindle, but these may cost more than a router! My first cnc used 116 oz/in motors and handled the router just fine.

jimbo
11-04-2003, 08:17 AM
I think alot of wood construction machines are not stiff enough to use a full size router or they prefer to do light duty things like engraving with 1/8" bits. But they can certainly be used if you account for this in your design.

Trim routers used for trimming laminates are a good compromise in weight,size,and power. they have a 1/4" collet.

jim.

Mhiran
11-04-2003, 08:43 AM
I got a router for free. And i was just wondering if i could substitute it for a dremel in my deisgn!

tpworks
11-08-2003, 11:39 PM
I use a dewalt laminate trimmer and it's holding up fine for over a year now. mostly made of mdf.this is my second attemp, you can see my first in the background. I am presently working on an all metal one with thomson 1 1/2" rods and bearings from Ebay.:)