PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed about maho 700 from 1978

Jeroenvanderloo
05-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi all,

Its my first post here and i hope someone can help me.
Ive been reading this forum for some time and finally have something to ask. :)

Im able to buy an old Maho 700 from 1978 with a Philips CNC 6600 control from a company who normaly only sells new machines. I was allowed to test it last week with a friend of mine. We found out that when putting the Jog switch in the middle position, the z-axis would drop down below its end-switches. There was nothing stopping the motor. Also when hitting the emergency switch the table still dropped down. We manualy rotated the motorshaft till it was back above its end-switches.

When the Jog is set in a lower position it looked to work ok. Would anyone happen to know if this could be a mechanical failure or an electronic one?

The control is a Philips CNC 6600 if i remembered correctly. Im not sure about it, but i have some pictures about it. http://www.bugs.nl/media/album/index.php?path=L3J3L21pc2MvQ05DLWJhbmtqZS8=
Would anyone know if its possable to replace it with a more modern control? Which control should work and how much work would it be to replace it?

Im from The Netherlands, 23 years old and started building a small cnc-mill last year. The building isnt going to fast so i was now looking for the opportunity to buy this Maho. I hope someone can give me some advice.
If its not wurth buying, then i like to hear it aswell.

fkaCarel
05-01-2006, 03:02 PM
If the price is right, go for it. For the rest you have the same problems as if your small mill was finished mechanically. It will be possible to upgrade, probably with keeping the motors. probably with keeping the drivers.

Carel

Jeroenvanderloo
05-02-2006, 02:04 PM
I cant find any info about what drivers are used for the motors. So its quite a big gues which new control i could use, and how much that would cost. The old control has a connection for data transmission, but the previous owner only programmed it by hand. So he has no idea if it works. And i want to use CAD/CAM, cos i already have those programms.

Im also still wondering if the z-axis problem could be mechanical or electronical.

What would be a reasonable price for a machine like this?

fkaCarel
05-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Reasonable price? You're Dutch, the people of traders, which makes me a foreigner here.

Carel

maramb
05-03-2006, 08:17 AM
there is only price for this machine, it's an old iron price. I know because we have a machine from 1984 which is also still working fine but worth nothing if you want to sell it, priceless though for your small work

The problem is problably a electric one (the brakes are not clamping, they are mechanical but contolled by your handswitch.) and are working in a normal position. maybe your cable from your handswitch is broken and you need a new cable and everything works fine again

Call DMG NL they are always willing to help !

succes

Jeroenvanderloo
05-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Ok, thank you all for the advice. I will call DMG tomorrow morning.

Im surprized that only Dutch people have posted here. :)