PDA

View Full Version : Build Thread CRP PRO4848 - Creatively Simple Build

landarts
10-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Jumping in from Star, Idaho to build a CRP PRO4848. Planning and organizing for the build, planning on having everything completed over the next 6 weeks and operational. Kit should be hitting the door step around the end of October.

Ordered from CRP

CRP PRO4848 kit for Nema 34
Proximity switches
Router mount- PC 690L
DIY Nema 34- 4 Axis electronics Kit w/ cable upgrade
Extra gusset brackets for fastening to vacuum table
VCarve Pro

Items I already have

Desktop CNC router - to make anything for machine I might need
Computer with a licensed Mach 3 software
Several feet of 2.5" & 2" square tubing - for table base
A shop full of tools
AutoCad, Sketchup Pro, Adobe Creative Suite
Left over items from last CNC build

First thing I will tackle while waiting for the kit to arrive is the table base construction. I have it planned in Sketchup and ready to start cutting and welding. Last Picture is proof of concept for the wheel mechanism, this is a friends table that he uses in his home shop. See design below.

niner_zero
10-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Looking good. I will be starting a PRO4824 soon. I have placed the order yesterday. Nice wheel kit for the table

landarts
10-16-2013, 01:30 PM
It is very simple to do. Once you have the casters, the mechanism is just a heavy bolt welded to a rod that has two thick wall tubes welded on to work as a cam to push the wheels down. I don't plan on moving it much, but when I do it will do the job. I also plan on once I have my final place where the machine will do most of its work I will mark the leg locations on the ground with a black sharpie.

vtx1029
10-18-2013, 03:00 PM
One thing that is much easier than your cam setup is just place the wheels a 1/2 inch below the height of your leveling feet fully retracted. Then all you need to do is retract your feet and its on its wheels.

landarts
10-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Now that's some food for thought , I might do a mockup this weekend while I am putting the table together to see if I like that better. Great thought!

landarts
10-20-2013, 05:39 PM
All the metal is cut and ground down for welding. Still have to cut some end plates for table top rail closure and end plates for leg levelers. After it is welded I will cut the diagonal bracing, grind the welds and prep for powder coating. I lucked out i have a friend that owns a powder coating facility. Per Cory from CNC router parts the powder coat color they are using is cardinal RD02. This metal table is being made from some repurposed 2.5" metal I had left over from a batting cage I built a few years back. It is heavy wall tubing that will assist in the weight for better stability I hope.

landarts
10-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Well when I got home from work today there were 5 boxes at my front door, it looks like the Brown Santa has arrived early! I should be getting the extrusion order today which will complete the kit from CNCRouterParts. So far these guys have really been nothing but first class with their product, customer support and just answering general questions. It is refreshing to see a small company doing the right things. Hats off to them!

I have a few more items coming in the mail :

Enclosure case - Sourced on EBAY
PMDX-134 and ribbon cable - From PMDX
Power cable, terminal block, power entry - From Newark
110V fan for case - Performance PC
Various other items - from Digikey

Once the additional items I need for the DIY electronics kit arrive i will be taking a bunch of pictures for a step-by-step process of installing all the gear to make it run.

Here is a drawing of a rolling computer station - see below

landarts
10-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Table is welded and I am in the process of cleaning up all the welds right now. Spent the early morning planning for a new heater for the garage. I will be going with a 50K BTU gas heater from Mr. Heater, Northern tools has them on special right now for $399 usually $499. It should be a pretty simple install since my gas source and exhaust venting are all located where I wanted to put it. I will mount it from the ceiling and add y-vent coupler into existing house system exhaust. I have a few friends that are in the business and I will be running the install by them before I procede just to be safe.

Finished sourcing the rest of the electronics I will need to complete the DIY kit the way I want it. Most of the items will be coming from Newark electronics. Once I have everything ready to go I will lay it all out and take pictures of the process for those that might want to go the DIY electronics kit way. I would have gone with plug and play system but I had a few of the items already and thought I would save a few dollars to put toward another item for the machine.

landarts
10-29-2013, 08:03 PM
My case for the electronics was delivered today. Looks like I will be playing around with the layout of all the goodies going inside....yeah! Also ordered the gas heater for the garage today and a few items need to button up the electronics case. A few more minor items and I will have that part over with and start the assembly process.

landarts
10-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Here is a picture of the table welded up, still need to finish smoothing welds, add the caster mechanism ,leg levelers and put a finish on it. Here is also another drawing i did of the new caster mechanism.

vtx1029
11-05-2013, 03:41 PM
That kind of reminds me of the leveling system I put on my cabinets. Ordering Cabinet Levelers | Leveling Cabinets | EZ-Level (http://www.ez-level.com/HowToOrder.html)
It works by having a triangle piece that pivots and is pushed down by a threaded rod.

landarts
11-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Looks like a busy weekend, a few items showed up in the last three days.

50K BTU Gas Heater for the garage
Electronics case
Caster for the leveling mechanism
Grade 8 bolts, washers, nuts and rubber bumpers for leg leveler

Need to go to the local pick a part and pickup two identical scissor jacks. At my local pick a part you can get jacks for $1.00 each....what a bargain!

landarts
11-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Rethinking the scissor jack caster mechanism. Leaning toward possible welding on caster on end pieces and activating them by raising up the leg levelers. I know it will be a slow process but I don't mind since I will not be moving the machine very often.

Thought also about making a welded portable cart that I can put under the table and move it that way.

landarts
11-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Does anybody out there that has built any of the CRP PRO versions ever done a 4th axis add on? If so can you please share a link.

fixtureman1
11-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Harbor freight has trailer jacks that bolt on that a lot of guys use on their cncs

landarts
11-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Got the lower wheels attached, welds ground down and painted with Rustoleum Hammer Finish. Need to get the end caps and the leg levelers installed. Proceeded last night to start on the base assembly. Pictures to follow later this evening.

If you have never used the Rustoleum Hemmer finish paint, use the brush on variety it is mush more durable and puts and quality finish with out the brush strokes showing. I have used this paint on other items over the last 8 years and have had great success, whether it be an inside or outdoor item.

landarts
11-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Here are pictures of the table base painted with Rustoleum Hammer finish.

Here is a close up of the finish

seesoe
11-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Does anybody out there that has built any of the CRP PRO versions ever done a 4th axis add on? If so can you please share a link.

I'm looking to add a 4th axis to my pro4896 very soon, I will keep you posted.

landarts
11-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Awesome please do I have been do some major research and would love to hear what way you are going.

seesoe
11-20-2013, 02:53 PM
i have a project i need the 4th axis system for for my business. so i'm looking at something cheap and easy to just get going. my wraps won't be too large so i might just mount it on my spoilboard. or make a plate where i can easily mount it on and off the front of the machine extrusion.

theres these on ebay, a lot of them are 100$ cheaper than that one too.
CNC Router Rotational Rotary Axis A 4th Axis 3 Jaw Tailstock Nema34 Steel Frame | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Router-Rotational-Rotary-Axis-A-4th-axis-3-Jaw-tailstock-NEMA34-Steel-frame-/301007605690?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item4615738fba)

alternatively, i might just look into a higher end tailstock and check/gear system that is designed for nem23, as i already have the stepper, drive, and psu from my previous cnc mill.

landarts
11-20-2013, 05:52 PM
That was the same one that I was looking also. I sent a message to Ahren to see if he has any thought on it. I will be making mine to attach to table just when I need it. I have 3 boys that are into baseball, one plays Division 1 baseball in college, other will be playing in college next year. They and several others in the baseball community have asked for some custom bats for display and for team trophy type applications. I would also use to do some custom spindles legs for a few wood working projects. Anyways I will P.M. you when I get a little further along in the next week or two.

vtx1029
11-22-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm looking to buy this 4th axis with the 4 jaw chuck. I don't see myself having much premade round stock.

Hollow Shaft 4Axis Rotary Axis 4th Axis A Axis for CNC Router 100mm Chuck | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/221272369854?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3756wt_1358)

landarts
11-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Things that have happened the last few days:
-Received last few items need for putting the electronics together
-Hung the new heater in the garage, plus electrical and thermostat
-Secured some items for the leg levelers for the table base

landarts
11-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Started some of the assembly this morning , need to square up and move to the next section.

GhostRider32
11-30-2013, 02:16 PM
I'm just now learning about homebuilding a homebuilt cnc machine but from what I've seen, you're doing great.

landarts
12-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks I appreciate the support!

landarts
12-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Got a little bit of the assembly done today....

landarts
12-05-2013, 08:09 AM
All of the stepper motor have been assembled to the pinion drive. Installing this evening and moving on to the electronics assembly next.

Gorilla83
12-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Looking great Landarts! I especially like the steel table you made it turned out great. You must be chomping at the bit to get cutting soon!!

I'm in the process of planning out my table build and I'm heading in the direction of going steel. This of course is new territory for me as I'm predominantly a woodworker. :) Can you recommend a good source for precut 2.5" square tubing? What is a decent (wall) thickness to use? I've been looking at online metals and metals depot but with shipping factored in I'd love to find a local source. I have a few buddies (and family) that said would assist with the welding and assembly.

landarts
12-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Hey Gorilla83 I went with 2.5" with a .188 wall thickness (3/16). I did this for two reasons, one it is what I already had plenty of and second the extra weight makes the table extremely rigid and secure. The table by itself weighs about 300lbs. You might want to try a local scrap yard or metal recycler that has cutoffs. I did all of my cuts on the driveway with a 14" metal cut off saw. Just go slow and use a metal scribe for your cut lines. I welded mine with a mig welder and spent more time cleaning up the welds so I could put a good finish on it.

The table was designed so I can add another section later and make it a 8' table in the near future. If you need anything else let me know.

landarts
12-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Here is a quick rendering of what I am working on for the 4th axis add on. I will probably use a geared stepper on the headstock end.

Gorilla83
12-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Hey Gorilla83 I went with 2.5" with a .188 wall thickness (3/16). I did this for two reasons, one it is what I already had plenty of and second the extra weight makes the table extremely rigid and secure. The table by itself weighs about 300lbs. You might want to try a local scrap yard or metal recycler that has cutoffs. I did all of my cuts on the driveway with a 14" metal cut off saw. Just go slow and use a metal scribe for your cut lines. I welded mine with a mig welder and spent more time cleaning up the welds so I could put a good finish on it.

The table was designed so I can add another section later and make it a 8' table in the near future. If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks, very helpful! I will start looking around now.

ssw
12-11-2013, 11:28 PM
Hi Landarts,

Build is looking good! Is that an 8" or the optional 12" Z?

Thanks.

landarts
12-12-2013, 07:49 AM
It is the the standard 8" Z axis

ssw
12-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Does the tip of the cutter/tool have a FULL 8 inches of travel?

Thanks.

landarts
12-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Here is an updated drawing of what I am currently working toward for the 4th Axis.

rgabriel
12-16-2013, 09:44 PM
Hey landarts, its a beautiful build. Compliments! Question: What are the dimensions of the welded table?

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk

landarts
12-18-2013, 09:24 AM
Here are the table dimensions rgabriel - click on image to view enlarge

Adjust the leg size in height to fit your needs, I am tall so I needed all taller table so I don't have to bend over to use it. The table footprint of 49" x 63" was given to me from Ahren of CNCRouterparts. This dimension is a perfect fit for the Pro4848 machine. AS I noted before I used 2.5" tubing with a .188 (3/16) wall thickness since it is what I already had in the shop. I had planned on putting some diagonal bracing also but once I got to this point it was apparent that the table was rock solid, so I decided not to add the additional bracing. I then spent more time actually cleaning the welds so that the finish on the table would look like it was one piece of metal. One other note this is a heavy wall material so the table base came out right at 300lbs for the base with the casters on it.

For the finish I use Rustoleum Hammer finish silver in a quart can. Put it on with a good brush, this material self levels and leaves a very good hammered finish that looks as though it is sprayed on. I have used this process several times of the last few years and i will say that it does hold up very well.

For the leg levelers I used a 3/8 weld in nut on an end cap and 3/8 heavy duty machinery adjustable legs with rubber padding. See photo below. Basically how it works is I mounted the 4" casters so about 1/2" of the wheel on the casters is making contact so it will roll. Once I finish with the machine I will adjust the leg levelers down, which will raise the casters off the ground. Level the machine with all leg levelers and lock down the lock nut and mark the concrete where the levelers are, so that if I ever move it again I can put it back in the original position.

eastbridge
12-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Build is looking great! I'm very curious to see your 4th axis attachment.

landarts
12-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Here is a 1st draft drawing of how I am going to build the 4th axis.

Once I work out a few more details I will start gathering parts and proceed to build. I will probably go with a tailstock from Grizzly tools and cut and weld brackets to fit the PRO4848.

landarts
12-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Finished the assembly this morning of the PRO4848. Had a few issues with the tension spring bolts on the pinon drives. After sorting the remaining hardware and a little trial and error I finally got it done. I believe my confusion came from looking at the drawings in the instruction and tips section of the cncrouterparts website. A few of the drawings were conflicting or did not match up. For example it shows the lower tension bracket going on the bottom hole when in some other pictures I found it located on the top hole location. No big deal got it figured out.

On to the electronics build with the Nema 34 DIY kit.

cyclestart
12-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Hello landarts and thanks for the thread.

How are you attaching the extrusions to the stand ?

eastbridge
12-28-2013, 12:48 PM
That looks pretty ingenious! Are you building an extension in the end of the table to accommodate it or are you sacrificing router bed?

Www.eastbridgestudio.com

eastbridge
12-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Hey Cyclestart, I also built a steel table. I am tapping holes in the steel and using l brackets to bolt it down. Thought I'd share :)

Www.eastbridgestudio.com

landarts
12-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Here is a rough drawing below of how I am going to mount the 4th axis. It will be mounted on the front of the table so I do not lose any of my upper table cutting area. The headstock will be mounted just slightly lower than the sacrificial board so that there will not be any interference with items on the table top. I am working on a way to make it easily removable and stored below when not in use.

landarts
12-28-2013, 04:44 PM
I forgot to answer the question above of how I am attaching the base frame to the table. I ordered 6 extra brackets from Ahren so that i can drill holes and tap for securement.

I finished up the DIY Nema 34 electronics this morning. I forgot to order a DB25 printer port with the a ribbon cable, so now that is ordered and when it comes in I will be firing it up for testing. For now I will work on order items for the 4th axis and begin working on the metal mounts for the 4th axis attachment.

landarts
12-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Here is a picture from this mornings work on the DIY Nema 34 electronics.

landarts
01-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Here are a few more additional pictures of control box.

Power entry and disable switch

Emergency stop and Fan

landarts
01-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Here is a list of the items purchased to finish up the CNCRP Nema 34 DIY kit.

-Control box which is 16x16x8 smaller than the one they sell - found on Ebay for $90
-Power entry module - Delta Electronics mod.# 06AK2 found on Ebay $6.95
-Male and Female A.C. plugs, rocker switch, power cord - Jameco Electronics
-Terminal blocks - Radio Shack
-PMDX-134, ribbon cable - PMDX.com
-Ribbon cable with printer port - CNC4PC.com
-12V 80mm fan - new left over from computer build
-Wire and connectors - stock from my garage supply

Items left to do on control box
-Mount ground wire
-Finishing cutting out bottom plate to accept A.C. plugs
-Attach 12 fan wiring
-Figure out what I am going to use for proximity switch mounts in the box
-Do paint touch ups - possibly will paint with the same paint I used for the table base frame - Rustoleum Hammered Silver

landarts
01-04-2014, 11:25 AM
4th Axis items needed for control box
-Add additional Gecko 201
-Add additional bulkhead enclosure connector

For the 4th axis which is really the 5th axis for the machine I will use output pins 14 & 16 on the PMDX-126 board. I may also add a disable switch for that particular gecko.

landarts
01-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Here is a draft of how the head of the 4th Axis will be attached to the table.
-Support plate 1/4 metal with tabs front and rear of plate for alignment to the extrusion grooves
-5 star knobs backed with roll in nut for extrusion for securing
-Bottom support plate with 1 1/2" metal tubing notched at bottom and boxed for bolt to secure to tapped hole on table base leg
-Wiring will run inside a small wire sleeve to table base and enter through grommet on frame - exit frame where control box is for entry
-Tailstock will be mounted on similar support plate to allow it to slide in the extrusion groves and be secured in place by tightening 5 star knobs

4th Axis mount
Tailstock

Frankmali17
01-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Hey Landarts, looks awesome so far...
Will adding the 4th axis cut down on the cutting area of the 48x48 above?
What diameter stock do you think you will be able to turn?

What is your impression of the VGroove bearings and new Linear rails design?

landarts
01-04-2014, 03:38 PM
The 4th axis will not affect the cutting area since it is mounted on the front of the table extrusion and is lower than the upper cutting surface. For now I will probably get up to a 6" diameter with the current styled mounting plates. I think the max would be 10" diameter since the z-axis hangs over the front a maximum of 5".

As for the VGroove and steel linear rails....it is a very good design, I believe it will hold to tight tolorance's and wear well.

groc426
01-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Looks really great! I can't wait to see the final results of the 4th axis.

landarts
01-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Finished up the electronics today....will be doing some testing in a day or so. Some of the parts for the 4th axis are in, still waiting on a couple more items before tackling the 4th axis assembly.

FoxCNC1
01-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Very nicely done. Its coming along great. I live your table, but the fact that it weight 300 lbs just hurt my back thinking about it.
Your enclosure, what size is it ? you didn't get that from CNCR Parts did you? ( I wish my box was smaller like yours)

landarts
01-13-2014, 08:09 AM
The electronics box is 16x16x8, which I sourced from Ebay for $90. As far as the table being heavy, you want that so there is no vibration or movement of the table when it is running.

rwskinner
01-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Awesome build! Thanks for taking the time to document it with all the pictures!
I just started mine so going thru and doing my homework :)

Richard

landarts
01-15-2014, 04:58 PM
The lathe chuck and backing plate should arrive today for the rotary 4th Axis build. Once I have all the parts I will shoot some photos and provide some links if anyone is interested.

groc426
01-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Yes, please provide as many photos and links as possible. I have really enjoyed this build! I'm still in the planning stage trying decide how exactly I want to tackle everything. I hope to be ready and purchasing supplies by the end of this month though. I've been taking notes from your build, its really well done. In fact, I've contacted a fabrication shop regarding building a table just like yours providing them with the sketch you posted here (hope thats okay, I guess I should have asked first). They quoted me about $600 for everything including the casters and levelers, but excluding the paint. That seemed fair to me, but I have no clue.

I'm just curious regarding how you've mounted the base to your table. You mentioned using 6 brackets from CNCRP, I assume these are what you were referring to:
Angle Bracket for 40mm Series Extrusion | CNCRouterParts (http://www.cncrouterparts.com/angle-bracket-for-40mm-series-extrusion-p-270.html)

So are you mounting these on the inside of the base/extrusion to the steel tubing? Do you happen to have any pictures of this?

Keep up the good work. 4th axis is on my eventual to-do list so I'll be watching with interest. I also see you're from Idaho, I'm in SE Idaho. Always good to see other Idahoans.

rwskinner
01-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Landarts, I have a quick question if you don't mind. How much of the CRS Rails do I need to leave un-painted on the edges so it doesn't interfere where the bearings ride? 3/8" or 1/2" or...?

Thanks,
Richard

landarts
01-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Reply to Groc426 -
"I'm just curious regarding how you've mounted the base to your table. You mentioned using 6 brackets from CNCRP, I assume these are what you were referring to:
Angle Bracket for 40mm Series Extrusion | CNCRouterParts"

Here is a photo of the brackets and how I did it.

Reply to question:-
"How much of the CRS Rails do I need to leave un-painted on the edges so it doesn't interfere where the bearings ride? 3/8" or 1/2" or...?"

I am not sure what the CRS rail is but if you mean the table base I painted the entire base, If you are talking about the standard rail system I am not sure i built the pro4848 version.

landarts
01-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Here is a sneak peek of a few of the parts coming together for the 4th axis build.

-Tailstock from Grizzly Tools
-3" Lathe chuck from Shars.com
-1/2" threaded backing plate from Shars.com

I have the brackets designed and this weekend will be working on completing those so it can be mounted to the front of the extrusion as per the drawing.

Mounting for headstock

Mounting for tailstock - may have to build sliding bracket for alignment purposes

The plan is to have this mounted just below the spoil board surface so there is no interference with the full cutting surface on the table. I will be wrapping the wires in a wire sheath, drilling a hole in the table base so I can feed the wires inside the table structure and exit out where the electronics box is mounted.

landarts
01-20-2014, 09:05 AM
Finished building the bracket for the 4th Axis. The welding, grinding and filling welds with spot putty are completed. A little more sanding, drill for placement of Axis body and drill for bracket mounting. Then paint to match table base with Rustoleum Hammered. The material I used was 2" c-channel and a piece of 1.5" square tubing.

landarts
01-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Finally have the remaining parts for the 4th Axis build. Should have a few items to post later with it all going together and mounted in the new bracket.

landarts
02-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Well got the 4th Axis bracket sanded and prep for paint. Welded in weld nuts to plates to go inside of the legs for the leg levelers and getting ready to make cuts at the bottom of the legs for the leg levelers. When I installed the casters I did not leave enough room for the leg levelers, so I need to take off about 1" and weld in the plates with the weld nuts.

Leg leveler with weld nut:

FoxCNC1
02-01-2014, 11:07 AM
very nice !!

I am about to "upgrade" my 2x4 to a 4x4 like yours. Can you tell me what is your actual X travel in inches?
I now we have close to 50" on the Y

landarts
02-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Should be 51.5" x 51.5" at least that is what it says on the CNCRouterParts site.

FoxCNC1
02-01-2014, 04:53 PM
if you can measure, I would like to know long if your extrusion along the steel rails. It should be 63"

rwskinner
02-01-2014, 08:13 PM
All 4 of mine are 60" just like the CRP4848 plans show. I'm not sure where the 63" came from.

Richard

FoxCNC1
02-02-2014, 10:45 AM
...their page.. and also the rail i am ordering is 63in.

Case Hardened Cold Rolled Steel Rail - 1"x.5" | CNCRouterParts (http://www.cncrouterparts.com/case-hardened-cold-rolled-steel-rail-1x5-p-262.html)

Your machine looks great

rwskinner
02-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Sorry, mine for the "Standard" CRP4848, not the Pro. I replied from mobile and thought the question was in my thread.

FoxCNC1
02-02-2014, 02:58 PM
thanks for the clarification.

landarts
02-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Here are a few photos of the indexer completed. Today I will work on mounting to table base, the indexing headstock will be mounted with drilled and tapped holes. The tailstock will be mounted on a sliding plate for the front of the aluminum extrusion so i can adjust for length as needed.

Here is the updated Sketchup drawing

landarts
02-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Getting back to machine this week. Checklist of of items to do before testing.
- mount indexer
- recheck alignments
- check all fasteners and belts
- check all electrical
- mount temporary spoil board

landarts
03-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Well got a few of the items done off the checklist:
- mount indexer - Drilled and tapped holes for mounting indexer headstock
- recheck alignments - Checked all alignment issue and all is good for now
- check all fasteners and belts - Have a few belt adjustments left to do
- check all electrical - checked all electrical....will try some test air cutting this weekend
- mount temporary spoil board - Need to do this weekend

Frankmali17
03-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Hello Landarts,
You have an awesome looing machine...
I have a Sketchup questions... Did you model this from scratch? or did you somehow convert the Edrawings file to be able to use it in Sketchup... I'm trying to design a modified machine, but I only use sketchup... even the free Edrawing program to open the CNCRP models works very slowly an poorly and isn't much help...

Thanks and keep up the good work.

landarts
04-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Frankmali17 - I modeled it from scratch in Sketchup pro, I have been using Sketchup since it came out years ago. If you need help with something let me know.

landarts
05-31-2014, 04:39 PM
Today i was able to fire up the machine for the first time and get movement. There were a few stumbling blocks getting there but seem to get it all sorted out. First I had my e-stop wired closed, so a couple of quick wire swaps and that was fixed. Then I could not get any movement although the PMDX board said that there were signals getting to the motors. Did some poking around and made a call to the folks over at PMDX for a little trouble shooting. We tried a few different things, and the only way we could get any movement was by swapping the step and direction around in Mach3. After I hung up with him I thought that cant be right so I started by shutting everything down and checking all wiring and making sure that I had not crossed something. Turn it back on and same results. Next morning , which is today i decided I would start by swapping out the parallel port cable. Once I did that and put the step and direction back to the original xml supplied by CNCRP, we have movement.

Did some jogging around, a little fine tuning and a little cable management test. I will need to get some cable chain and finish up with getting wiring secured in the chains so I can get to cutting. It was a good day!

groc426
06-01-2014, 01:05 PM
That's great to hear! I was wondering how things were going. I still can't wait until you get the 4th axis going.

shags0024
06-01-2014, 08:15 PM
Great build Landarts, I may lean heavily on your design for my own build.

landarts
06-03-2014, 09:50 AM
No problem, give me a shout if you need anything i will try to help where I can.

landarts
06-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Finally cut my first piece on the machine. I cut a radio installation plate for my 72 Chevy Cheyenne that I am in the middle of restoring. Used 1/4" high density board for testing purposes, final will be cut out of 1/4" aluminum. Everything went well as expected. Have a few more items to nail down before I am 100% tuned.

Things left to do:
- Having issue with proximity sensors - The sensor are being activated but cant seem to get them programmed properly in mach3
- Need to finish mounting rotary axes and test
- Need to finish up wire management - just have temporary setup, need to get cable track
- finish cutting dust shoe and assemble

landarts
06-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Working with Ahren on getting the proximity switch issue sorted out. Basically when I home over to X-- it stops then backs up, then tries to individual home the X prime which causes the gantry to skew and me pushing the e-stop button. I do not need Mach2 to home each motor separate since the the X and A are slaved together. Also had to put 1K resistor on the input signal wires on the PMDX-126 so that the pull-down would acknowledge the 5V, this was done per Ahren suggestions. That seemed to wake up the switches, now just to get the slave thing sorted out.

Image of resistors going to input 11,12,13 on PMDX board.

landarts
06-20-2014, 04:08 PM
The X axis and A axis slaved together has been nothing but a pain trying to get the proximity switches to work properly. Ahren has reached and saved the day again. Basically what I had to do is go into the Mach3 config screen and click on "general config" and select slave and homing. Once that was done all was good. After talking to Ahren on the phone he said mine was a little different since I was not using the Smooth stepper and had mine hooked up with a parallel printer cable. Certain homing functions are taking care of by the Smooth stepper, since I did not have one we needed to set it up different in the mach3. All is good so I will post later a screen shot of the where I made adjustment just in case someone else down the road needs a little help.

Thanks to Ahren again!

landarts
07-11-2014, 05:50 PM
In the process of cutting out a dust shoe to fit my Porter Cable router. Should have that wrapped up and my dust collect configuration. Will post pictures later.

landarts
07-28-2014, 03:52 PM
Finished up with the dust shoe and cut a few more projects. Will take some photos this week and show where I am at with these projects. I will be moving back to the 4th Axis indexer, will be working on mounting and wiring in another Gecko. Time to start turning some custom bats!

landarts
08-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Just tried a little logo with the v-carve function on a piece of 3/4 particle board.

Working on getting the indexer rolling and also hooking up a standalone lathe that can function as an indexer and a finishing tool. Using it with both a stepper motor and removing belt from stepper and using electric motor. Trying to follow what a few guys have done over at the Shopbot site. Also got the dust shoe completed and all is working well in the dust collection area.

BuckNaked31
08-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Where's the dust shoe pics? You promised :)

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk 2

Frankmali17
08-25-2014, 10:56 PM
The sign looks good...
Got any pics of the General Config changes you had to make?
how about your Spindle and dust shoe?

landarts
08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Here is a quick pict from my phone I had...I will take a few more this evening showing the pieces.

landarts
08-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Here are a few more picts of the dust shoe. Just use some 1/4 hardboard MDF for the top half and a scrap piece of 3/4" particle board for the bottom and I ordered a strip of 2" brush material from McMaster Carr. Took a few measurements and threw it together in V-Carve Pro. Hooked it up to a new 6.5 hp rigid shop vac with a 5 gal bucket with a Thein separator lid I got from Woodcraft. So far it has worked great and I have cut a few items that were MDF and it is just powder in the 5 gal bucket and nothing in the new rigid vac.

landarts
08-27-2014, 10:17 PM
The sign looks good...
Got any pics of the General Config changes you had to make?
how about your Spindle and dust shoe?

I will see if I can get a screen shot of the config file this weekend.

javabugz
10-16-2014, 02:20 PM
Could you share your sketchup file for this set up? Thanks.

landarts
10-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Are you talking about the table or the entire drawing? Or the drawing for the dust shoe?

javabugz
10-16-2014, 07:21 PM
The entire drawing. I'd love to use it as a base doc to build mine.

Frankmali17
10-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Hello Landarts,
Thank you for your posts, they are helpful to all of us.
It would be great to see how you constructed your sketchup model.
Would you be willing to share it on the 3DWarehouse, and tell us how to find it?

I personally hope to build a 5 x 8 machine based on the CRP Pro kit... when I get my shop set up.
I know they updated the Riser design.. but I would as your opinion of the V wheels.
Specifically, did they send you brand name Vgroove bearings or some cheap chinease ones?
Also, I know that vertically they should handle a great load, but how do you feel about sideways load?
For example, will there be deflection in the Z axis, when the machine is pushing through material moving from front to back?...

Thank you

landarts
10-18-2014, 03:36 PM
I have uploaded the Pro4848 Sketchup model to the 3d warehouse. Go to the warehouse and in the search type in " Pro4848" that will get you to the model. Best of luck with it.

shags0024
10-18-2014, 04:00 PM
where can I find the "warehouse"

landarts
10-18-2014, 05:22 PM
here is the direct link Google warehouse https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/

javabugz
10-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Thank you

landarts
11-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Here are a few signs I cut out for two different people. Both were done on old reclaimed fence boards 1/2 thick used a 60 degree v-bit.

landarts
12-05-2014, 04:27 PM
The sample cut for the VaCasa logo looks like they want a few boxes made with the logo.....time to get workin on the details.

BrianJenkins
01-08-2015, 11:14 AM
nice write up!

landarts
01-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks most appreciated!

landarts
02-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Here are a few pictures from a new advertisement kiosk I am working on for a client.

Frankmali17
02-05-2015, 09:33 PM
very nice design :cheers:

landarts
02-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Here is the new indexer getting set up to do a little turning.

alan_3301
02-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Got any links for the new rotary setup? Looks nice.

What happened with the old one? It looked like you had a lot of work in it, did it not work out as planned?

landarts
03-05-2015, 03:24 PM
I purchased it from a source on the internet. Since the experience with them was less than professional I would prefer not to send anyone down that path. When I asked for paperwork on the stepper motor and the wiring specs after I bought it they were extremely rude and unprofessional. So for now everything has been guess work since I have no specs on motor. I have it plugged into my y-axis location and all spins well. I might purchase a stepper from CNCrouterparts and replace the one that came with it so at least I would know what I had and how to program it in Mach3. The gear reduction is 20:1 and the stepper motor is nema 34. I did find a tag on the side of the motor and tried looking it up on the net with no luck.

As for the other one I started on I still have a few more things to finish up on it to make it all work. Decided to go with a large industrial indexer since I have a few clients waiting on some custom bats.

Frankmali17
03-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Wow, This looks Awsome :-) Can you make a video of it in action?

landarts
03-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Working on getting this thing going along the X-axis. Got everything wired up and turning. Now I just need to figure out how to configure it properly......I admit I do feel lost with this one, so i thought I might give the guys over at CNCRouterparts a call and see if they can talk me off the ledge.

landarts
03-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Spoke with Cory at CNCrouterparts and he was able to give me a little instruction. So for this weekend I will attempt the following.

-Copy my current default xml file that I am using and rename to indexer
-Switch the A-xis to a B-axis that is slaved to the X-axis
-Y-axis will now be used by the indexer since I have the indexer parallel with the X-axis
-Design some text to be engraved on the a used bat in VCarvePro
-Save toolpath onto flashdrive
-Load it onto CNC computer in the garge
-Chuck up a used wooden bat in the unit
-Zero the Z-axis according to the instructions in VCarvePro
-Do a few test air cuts to see if it is on target
-Pray
-Then do the real thing!

landarts
03-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Well I finally was able to cut a little on a used bat that I had sitting around. The first way was to mount the bat in a cradle that was fastened to the table and cut just like you were cutting a regular piece of wood by using the pocketing function in VcarvePro. Then I unplugged the Y-Axis and plugged the indexer in to the Y-Axis location and test a small engraved text area on the end of the bat. Everything seemed to work O.K. except the text was backwards and upside down. So I made a copy of the xml profile I was using and renamed it Indexer. Then I reopened the Mach3 program and reversed the setting for the Y-Axis and did another test cut. This time the text came out exactly the the designed file.

The next item on the list is to get the steps per degree sorted out. This might be a challenge, when I try to look up the information that is on the tag of the motor on the internet I get nothing. So I am guessing that someone in china has relabeled the motor and there are no specs available. If I cant get this figured out then I guess I will be purchasing another Nema 34 motor from the guys at CNCRouterParts.

Frankmali17
03-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Good Luck and continue on.. :-) :banana:

landarts
03-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Finally built a few mounts for the front of the table to hold the rotary axis. Now I can use the full size of the table without the rotary axis getting in the way.

naPS
03-27-2015, 03:33 PM
That's bad-ass. I have a rotary axis for the laser, and I would eventually like to get one for the router. The way you've set this up is pretty spectacular. Any hints on where you sourced the stuff?

asuratman
03-30-2015, 07:10 AM
How do you lock tailstock on that linear bearing

landarts
03-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Here is a photo of the way it is locked down.

landarts
04-01-2015, 10:57 AM
That's bad-ass. I have a rotary axis for the laser, and I would eventually like to get one for the router. The way you've set this up is pretty spectacular. Any hints on where you sourced the stuff?

I am not sure if it is the right place to air out bad customer service. I normally would not suggest a vendor that had such poor customer service, however if you are really interested P.M. me and I will tell you who I bought from.....just warning you up front that your mileage may vary!

landarts
04-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Now that I have got the indexer working and cutting from my files I will move on to stage two of the project. Setting up the indexer on its own axis "A" with it's own Gecko Drive and power supply. I have ordered the Gecko 201, power supply and bulkhead connector from the guys at CNCRouterParts.

Basically what I will do is make another copy of my current Mach3 profile that I use all the time, rename the file to "Indexer". Switch the A-Axis that is now slaved to the X-Axis to a "B-Axis". That would allow me to assign the A-Axis to the indexer and check off the rotary function. Once all is good in Mach3 I would be able to run the indexer without having to unplug the Y-Axis and replug the indexer in. Basically I will be doing exactly what Elking has done with his setup.

Then I want to purchase a cnc pendant to control the machine, make a touch off plate, and finish off the bottom section of the table as per plans. After I get those items wrapped up I will probably purchase the extension kit and turn the table into a 8' long table.

asuratman
04-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks for info on locking mechanism. What ratio on indexer (rotary) you use?

landarts
04-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Thanks for info on locking mechanism. What ratio on indexer (rotary) you use?

The worm gear is 20:1

landarts
04-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Received all the items I ordered from CNCRouterParts for adding additional power supply and Gecko drive for the indexer. Will start on adding the new items in a day or so, then design a mount for the electronics box instead of it just laying on the bottom shelve.

landarts
02-12-2016, 03:35 PM
It has been a while since last post. I did get everything hooked up and running smoothly on the indexer. I just ordered these items to complete the package.

- Bosch 1617 EVS router motor
- Precisebits collet kit
- SuperPID
- Several different types of bits for cutting various materials
- Photo Vcarve to go with Vcarve Pro, at some point I will probably move to Aspire

I have been using the machine regularly for various projects over the last few months. I have had no problems with the machine to date. Very reliable, robust and repeatable results. Love it!

landarts
01-05-2018, 04:36 PM
It's been a while since last post, everything on my machine is still working great. Had an issue for a while with my computer glitching with power supply. Once I changed out the computers power supply I was back in business. Now I have move the CNC machine to the other side of shop which is narrow. In the process of designing a new table that will put the machine on a tilted vertical plane. It will be similar to this picture, i will go through the process of designing in Sketchup and fabricating the new table mount for the wall. The picture I found somewhere and got my interest. I will use the the thick wall 2" square tubing like the first table and make provisions for the indexer that is now on the table.

Here is the link (https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ue32e4b4c-3b4c-4e45-93c3-5665430c50d3/Pro4848-CNC-machine) to the original Sketchup drawing that is now on the 3D warehouse for viewing and download. Also a image of the existing setup.

Frankmali17
01-05-2018, 11:10 PM
Good Luck,
We are interested in seeing progress :-)