PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to store Drill Bits & Taps

kolias
09-04-2013, 02:07 PM
I have about 50 odd sizes drill bits and taps in metric and imperial and currently I store them in a box which is very inconvenient to find what I want

I would like to store them in a way which I will be able to find what I want easily and one idea I have is to cut a piece of melamine, drill some holes and put them all on top standing up.

That’s easy enough but then I have to label each drill / tap what size it is and some taps have their specific drill bit. Labeling looks like to be a problem because it has to be neat and not removable

I wonder if anyone came up with a better idea

WoodSpinner
09-04-2013, 02:09 PM
you could engrave the sizes and such next to each hole in the melamine.

John

kolias
09-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Thank you John

I thought about engraving and guess thats what I will do

Dylwad
09-04-2013, 09:39 PM
I would use corian or some sort of plastic instead of wood.

I try to keep my taps and their drills together in the plastic box the taps come in, in a machinists chest.

Might try to look for plastic storage tubes, label those and keep them in a drawer, or in a snap top plastic organizer.

Sent from tapatalk

kolias
09-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Corian sound even better.

TRMMEX
10-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Kolias, did you implemented any of the ideas mentioned? I would like to implemen something for the drill and taps and want some ideas.

kolias
10-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Many good ideas but for my needs I decided to keep all in a plastic box.

The reason is that all my drills / taps came in a little paper envelope with the name, size etc. written on the envelope and although it may take some time to get what I want at least I know what I get. I also thought to get one of these clear plastic boxes with the drawers and mark on each drawer its contents but I have 7/8" drills and their length does not fit in these drawers

For now I use what I described above but later I may find something else. As its mentioned each one of us has their own needs

TRMMEX
10-24-2013, 02:35 PM
I will try doing something like you mentioned in your first post. I think this can help in my case. I will post the results.