PDA

View Full Version : Postform.m

moldcore
04-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Postform.m is now read-only, how do I edit it? Just installed Surfcam on a new system and can’t modify the postform.m file, What gives? I've been able to do this with every install untill now. Using Velocity sp1.

lakeside
04-01-2006, 10:07 PM
check the path on set-up page of software (it just a guess)

moldcore
04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
OK, found the problem, I checked the file properties and unchecked the read-only box, :rolleyes: It was a long day after a computer cash.

lakeside
04-02-2006, 12:39 PM
You Just Got Love Upgrades Or New Software

Cammotion
04-02-2006, 03:39 PM
moldcore, I was on the Surfware site this morning, and saw that they introduced Velocity II at Westec in L.A. They don't have it available for download yet, but I can't wait to see it in action with Velocity and SRM going at the same time!!

moldcore
04-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Bill, I was at Westec and saw it personally. Real nice and some pretty girls, but still feel they need to address some of Surfcam other shortcomings, like the interface. They are making some strides for example like the program set up in the control panel. Surfcam, at least for me, is rock solid and can understand their reluctance to possibly introduce new bugs by changing the interface. But sometimes one has to make a step forward to progress. I don't think Velocity II will be availble for a month or two.

Cammotion
04-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Bill, I was at Westec and saw it personally. Real nice and some pretty girls, but still feel they need to address some of Surfcam other shortcomings, like the interface. They are making some strides for example like the program set up in the control panel. Surfcam, at least for me, is rock solid and can understand their reluctance to possibly introduce new bugs by changing the interface. But sometimes one has to make a step forward to progress. I don't think Velocity II will be availble for a month or two.

Hey, great, moldcore. I wanted to go this year, I think half of my shop did. I was out of town for some training.

What is it about the interface that you don't like? Icons instesd of the pull-down menus? I've been using Surfcam since about Version 7, and it's a lot better than then. Since they added three button mouse control, life is much easier, although I use a Spaceball.

You mentioned setting up the program in the control panel.......I'm not familiar with that, is it new?

Here's hoping they release V II before 2-3 months!

moldcore
04-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Bill, I’m sorry I was thinking of another program when I mentioned the control panel. Must have been wishful thinking on my part. However, they are improving things like the hole making routines with automatic tool sorting and reverse direction for subsequent tool (last hole is first hole for next tool). I have a power point presentation of the changes in Velocity II I can email you if you like, it’s about 8 meg.

I too have been using Surfcam since ver 6 I believe, Mastercam before that.

I would like to see a more customizable interface with Icons. Just too many clicks as it is now. I do the design and programming here and the CAD package is a dream to use compared to Surfcam. It seems that everything in Surfcam is 5 clicks away, just not user friendly. In my CAD package every single command has an Icon assigned and can be dragged to a custom tool bar if you want. You hand never leaves the mouse or your eyes never have to leave the screen to look down at the keyboard. In my CAD software the entities highlight before you pick them when you drag the curser over them. Everything about the CAD software makes Sufcam look and feel like a slow Dinosaur. There is so much room for improvement it’s really sad.

How do you like the Spaceball with Surfcam? What advantage does it give you? I was think of getting it for my CAD software anyway.

mdlmkr
04-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Hey moldcore,

I am glad to hear that you made it to Westec! I was unable to go. Could you send me the PPT? I am pretty excited about what is coming up!

moldcore
04-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Mdlmkr, or anyone

If you want the PPT file you’ll have to send me a private message with your email. I would point you to a link where I got it but it’s not there anymore. Maybe all the changes could not be implemented in time for this release and they need to update the PPT.

Cammotion
04-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Bill, I’m sorry I was thinking of another program when I mentioned the control panel. Must have been wishful thinking on my part. However, they are improving things like the hole making routines with automatic tool sorting and reverse direction for subsequent tool (last hole is first hole for next tool). I have a power point presentation of the changes in Velocity II I can email you if you like, it’s about 8 meg.

I too have been using Surfcam since ver 6 I believe, Mastercam before that.

I would like to see a more customizable interface with Icons. Just too many clicks as it is now. I do the design and programming here and the CAD package is a dream to use compared to Surfcam. It seems that everything in Surfcam is 5 clicks away, just not user friendly. In my CAD package every single command has an Icon assigned and can be dragged to a custom tool bar if you want. You hand never leaves the mouse or your eyes never have to leave the screen to look down at the keyboard. In my CAD software the entities highlight before you pick them when you drag the curser over them. Everything about the CAD software makes Sufcam look and feel like a slow Dinosaur. There is so much room for improvement it’s really sad.

How do you like the Spaceball with Surfcam? What advantage does it give you? I was think of getting it for my CAD software anyway.

Hi again, moldcore

I've gotten so used to having a spaceball that I couldn't do without one now. I used to drive me nuts when you're making a lot of picks, like for example having to change color on a lot of little surfaces, and you had to reach up to the "rotate" icon, then rotate your part, and reach up again to zoom in to continue picking geometry, then reach up to hit the "fit" icon, etc., etc. With the spaceball, whichever way you move the ball your part moves the same way. I will say though, that since they came out with the mouse wheel control, zooming and rotating got a whole lot easier, and panning with the control key while pushing down on the wheel for panning.

What CAD software are you using? I was using Solidworks that came with Surfcam, and liked it a lot. The spaceball works very well with it.

Yes, I'd like to see the power point file on Velocity II. I'll PM you with and e-mail address. Thanks!

Bill

moldcore
04-04-2006, 10:23 AM
I used to drive me nuts when you're making a lot of picks,
My sentiments exactly.

What CAD software are you using?
I use KeyCreator primarily now after using Solid Edge for the past two years. I found it overkill for mold design and went back to Cadkey/KeyCreator. I have toyed with SolidWorks PDO but didn’t like the way it handled surfaces and creating parting lines but didn’t have enough time to evaluate it in detail. KeyCreator is great with imported geometry and editing is a snap.

Yes, I'd like to see the power point file on Velocity II. I'll PM you with and e-mail address. Thanks!
Sent.

Cammotion
04-04-2006, 08:57 PM
moldcore, thanks for the PPT file. You're right, looks like some nice improvements, since they've apparently improved the Velocity perameters page, and the other stuff. Now, if you gitcher self a spaceball, you'll be ready to rock 'n roll! I got a new 4000FLX one on eBay for $125. I'm sure you could do much better now with it or the 5000FLX USB one. Don't get a 3000 series unit, because the folks who have the controller software (3DConnexion) don't support it any more and the drivers are no longer on their site. Thanks again,

Bill

moldcore
04-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Glad you got it. Thanks for the advice on the spaceballs. I’ve not had much luck with eBay lately and won’t try them again. If I get one it will be a new one through a dealer.