PDA

View Full Version : Motor drive mechanism

Sureform
03-31-2006, 03:43 PM
I operate a small surboard company in Palos Verdes CA. For a few years I have been cutting 48"X48"X96" blocks into 6" sheet blanks. My machine is basically an aluminum frame and a seperate 48" bow cutter attached to two supports on sliding tracks and we manually cut the sheets.

I want to covert to CNC so I can cut the foils into the sheets using an X and Y axis set-up. I am an idiot when it comes to mechanics. I see many complete kits for conversion i.e motors, software, power, drivers, but I don't understand the drive mechanisms. Does anyone have some close-up photos of 96"+ long drive set-ups or can reccomend someone who sells all the hardware. I see threaded rods, rack and pinion etc.. I am not sure what is the best for my application.

Thanks for any help.

Mike Beauvais
Sik-Stik Surfboards

GAWnCA
07-09-2006, 01:25 PM
I operate a small surboard company in Palos Verdes CA. For a few years I have been cutting 48"X48"X96" blocks into 6" sheet blanks. My machine is basically an aluminum frame and a seperate 48" bow cutter attached to two supports on sliding tracks and we manually cut the sheets.

Thanks for any help.

Mike Beauvais
Sik-Stik Surfboards

Hi Mike, Take a look at http://www.8linx.com/cnc/cnc.htm This is a pretty clear set of instructions for building the CNC Foam cutting machine. The one thing this guy uses that I don't like are pop rivits. I would rather drill and tap all the holes. Another thing, he uses drawer slides that if you check the prices get pretty expensive - I went too a computer salvage store and bought 24" server rack slides and then adjusted them to get the desired throw I needed... Store bought drawer slides, $30 a pair, rack slides 6 pair for $10.00. When it comes to the electronics, if you can solder you can build your own controller, not that big a deal.

Now, may I ask you a question, where are you getting the 48" x 48" x 96" styrofoam blocks? I've been looking all over and it seems rather hard to find a source.

Thanks,
Greg