PDA

View Full Version : G-Code Ripper - Scale, Rotate and Split G-code

scorch
08-13-2013, 12:13 AM
I have posted a new program one my web page called G-Code Ripper (http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html) that can read an existing g-code file and scale, rotate and split the g-code as needed.

This program takes an existing g-code file and splits it into two halves. Linear and arc movements are broken into smaller lines and arcs on either side of the parting line. The attached pictures show a design that I cut using the program. I used the splitting and rotation features to allow my small CNC machine to cut a larger image. The smaller eagle in the last picture is the largest eagle I could cut on my machine without splitting the image.

In addition to the basics the program understands the following g-code features:
• Reads "Absolute" and "incremental" coordinates
• Evaluates expressions (i.e. [2*3])
• Understands parameters (i.e. #1,#2 and #<feed_rate>)
• Understands and interprets YZ and ZX arcs (converted to linear motions for compatibility with splitting and rotation)

Scorch

port_huon
08-13-2013, 03:23 AM
Good to see some open source CNC stuff I can use on Linux.
As soon as I re-assemble my CNC router (too cold in the shed) , I'll try these out.

CaptainVee
08-13-2013, 03:58 AM
Very cool Scorch!

I wish I could code as easily as you seem to be able to!

Analias
08-13-2013, 12:59 PM
FYI, neither of the download links for the zipped executables work. I'm getting 404, page not found.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

scorch
08-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks, the links are fixed now.

Scorch

Analias
08-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks, the links are fixed now.

Scorch

Thank you. Links confirmed working. I was able to download the window package.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

scorch
08-21-2013, 01:10 AM
I uploaded a new version of G-Code Ripper based on comments in another thread.

- G-code Ripper will now ignore line numbers (previously it aborted reading on N codes)
- Added a option for scaling the feed rate.

Version 0.02 is available here: G-Code Ripper (http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html#download)

When I have time I think I will add the following features:
- Option to set the output precision (number of decimal places)
- Option to include line numbers in the output (N codes)
- Option to lock the scaling of Z, XY and Feed so you only need to enter the scale once if they are all the same
- Only output feed rate and axis positions when they change. (Reduces the output file size)

Scorch

jyotti
08-21-2013, 01:49 AM
I uploaded a new version of G-Code Ripper based on comments in another thread.

- G-code Ripper will now ignore line numbers (previously it aborted reading on N codes)
- Added a option for scaling the feed rate.

Version 0.02 is available here: G-Code Ripper (http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html#download)

When I have time I think I will add the following features:
- Option to set the output precision (number of decimal places)
- Option to include line numbers in the output (N codes)
- Option to lock the scaling of Z, XY and Feed so you only need to enter the scale once if they are all the same
- Only output feed rate and axis positions when they change. (Reduces the output file size)

Scorch

Thanks Scortch .. posting here as requested. As it turns out, scaling would not be required, but for the fact that this New machine, with an advertised Y axis of 400mm (15.748"), is actually only 379.8mm (14.953"). A quarter inch end mill would have no problem cutting a 15" circle with +/- 7.625 on the Y axis if this machine was built as advertised. I appreciate your efforts .. I was about to just tweak the steps per inch down from it's normal 10,160 on the X and Y steppers, but meanwhile this most serious deficit had come to light. So buyer beware .. it's over 20mm short on the Y axis from that which is advertised. Cheers!

CNC X6-1500GT ROUTER ENGRAVER DRILLING AND MILLING MACHINE - carving-cnc.com (http://www.carving-cnc.com/x61500series/cnc-x61500gt-router-engraver-drilling-and-milling-machine.html)

scorch
10-17-2013, 12:25 AM
G-Code Ripper version 0.03 has been posted to the G-Code Ripper Homepage (http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html#download). The new version has more plotting options including more isometric view angles. The big addition in this version is the ability to map g-code from the X or Y axis to a rotary axis A or B. This functionality is very similar to CNCWrapper.

G-Code Ripper: G-Code Wrapping Features
-Graphical preview of the resulting g-code.
-Automatically maps g-code arcs to linear movements prior to conversion to rotary moves.
-Options for scaling feed rates to make them compatible with the rotary movements.
-Interpret g-code variables and equations.
-G-code Rippers basic features can also be used to scale and rotate the g-code before wrapping the code for the rotary axis.

Devastator
11-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Hey Scorch, I needed a very simple file wrapped, just a tube with three slots cut into it. I found out that the other popular program is $25, but I stumbled across yours for free. It worked beautifully. Kudos my friend, and thank you.

scorch
07-30-2014, 10:24 PM
I just released a new version of G-Code Ripper (V0.6). I added another option to add probing to the G-Code file. Using the "Auto Probe" function you can load a g-code file then G-Code Ripper will define a grid of probe points. Then G-Code Ripper will write a new g-code file with added code for performing probe operation on the stock material and then adjust the tool paths to follow the stock material surface profile. This is great for adding designs to curved surfaces.

Get the new version here G-Code Ripper (http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html)

If you think you need an expensive or complex probe for this to work, think again. I put some links and a video in a BLOG post (http://www.scorchworks.com/Blog/auto-probing-with-g-code-ripper/) to help explain the minimum requirements and concept.

jfong
08-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Software works great!!

Instead of building a touch probe, I bought a Mitutoyo Touch Signal Inspection Probe model 192-001 on eBay for $7. I cut off the original wire harness and soldered a wire to the circuit board that connects to the internal touch probe switch. The wire then connects to the mach3 probe input pin.

Here is the setup I used to test cut a circle on a slanted piece of wood.

Thanks Scorchworks!!

Vogavt
08-20-2014, 01:07 AM
I'm confused on how you used the probe to cut the circle on the slanted wood. Did you touch off somehow with the probe to determine the angle and somehow modify the existing code for the circle?

scorch
08-20-2014, 01:39 AM
Vogavt, G-Code Ripper generates the the g-code for probing to the stock material and writes a new g-code file that probes the stock material and cuts the pattern (A circle in his case). The probe data is temporarily stored in g-code variables until the g-code program ends. There is a video of my machine doing a similar operation embedded in the blog post I linked above.

Vogavt
08-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Gotcha! I inadvertently scrolled passed your post on my "Smartphone". I see it now.

Dragonfly
01-18-2015, 07:28 AM
Great effort and a lot of coding has gone into this program.
In my practice a different case has arisen. I am trying to engrave a logo on a plate which is roughly a sphere cut out. Probing went fine and code worked as expected. But it seems the DIY touch probe is not accurate enough.
The depth is set to 0.1 mm so just 0.05 mm error in Z height is enough to just scratch the surface. Or maybe the holding jig gave in a bit. Anyway, at one end the symbols did not engrave well, too shallow.
I can try to save the work by setting a slightly corrected tool height in Mach3 but I can't repeat the process because new probing will give inaccurate readings due to the already engraved surface.
But if there is an option to just do the probing and save the points cloud to file and then read probing data from it and directly assign corrected values into the G-code, then the machining process could be repeated as many times as needed.
I've downloaded the source but am quite rusty from programming POV and it will take a lot of time to comprehend the code, refresh my memory and eventually write a modified program.
I was thinking if scorch finds the idea of repeatable corrected machine code useful he could implement it faster and with greater efficiency.

Vogavt
01-18-2015, 09:43 AM
One option would be for the incorporation of a double probing routine at each location. Another for perfect spheres is a program called "ballengrave.exe". It takes your code and wraps it based in the diameter of the sphere. Not a my PC but I can get a link later.

scorch
01-18-2015, 01:41 PM
@Dragonfly, I have run into the same problem. I do plan on adding the ability to read probe data from a file. I have not gotten around to writing the code yet. I am not sure how I am going to implement it.

Dragonfly
01-18-2015, 04:39 PM
I've done some thinking over the strategy. As I see it:
1. G-code Ripper (GCR) reads a G-code file the usual way as it is now. The user sets the probing grid like now. Then there is a new button (menu option) to save a probing code only. For Mach3 'M40' is inserted on the first line which causes Mach3 to open file save dialog and ask for a folder and file name to save the probed data. After that it performs the probing (and optionally returns to the starting position). The probing data is stored as a text file with three comma separated numbers on a line - X,Y,Z values. Each line is the next probing point on the grid. Here it is important to apply an uniform same probing order as it is important for the next step.
2. Having done the probing we return to GCR which has a command for reading probed data. Z values and X/Y coordinates a read into an array. Code modification is done but instead of inserting calculation lines using #100-#102 variables real Z corrections are calculated and written to the output file. This G-code file can be restarted time and again and it will always execute with the hard coded tool height correction values. Such feature would be very useful if there are a number of identical objects for engraving, provided that there is a jig to fix them at constant position. All can be done with one probing cycle.

@Vogavt - I said sphere but it is actually a thin aluminum circle punched to convex shape and better be regarded as an irregular curved surface.

Vogavt
01-18-2015, 06:19 PM
... But it seems the DIY touch probe is not accurate enough.

Seems you still must resolve this issue no matter how many times you probe.

GIGO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_in,_garbage_out) - Remember that acronym from days gone by? ;)

That's why I thought about incorporating a double touch-off probing sequence like others have coded for Mach3. Just a thought although I have only played with it and have yet to actually cut any material following the current routine.

-
-
-

Not overshadowing G-Ripper, only sharing information for other tools for our repertoire.

Neither of these use probing routines but for future reference
- Ball Engrave (http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,20394.msg141619.html#msg141619)
- WarpDriver (http://paulrowntree.weebly.com/warpdriver.html)

scorch
01-18-2015, 10:03 PM
I can see probing once and cutting. Then going back for a deeper cut if the cuts did not all make contact with the surface. Even with perfect probe results this may be needed if the probe points are too far apart.

scorch
01-18-2015, 10:12 PM
One of my maybe someday ideas for G-code Ripper is to add the ability to map the output to any function. So you could map the output to a hemi-sphere, sine wave or another user defined function.

Vogavt
01-18-2015, 10:54 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.. I wish I had your talents... one word..awesome!

Dragonfly
01-19-2015, 10:04 AM
One of my maybe someday ideas for G-code Ripper is to add the ability to map the output to any function. So you could map the output to a hemi-sphere, sine wave or another user defined function.

For me, making it able to split the process and work with saved to a file probing data will be more than enough at this very moment :)
I did some digging into the code but my command on Python is limited so too may things to clarify before I reach some adequate comprehension. With the exception of an occasional small script (for CamBam ATM) I haven't coded for a long time. Besides, my own RAM is not what it used to be - I could easily hold a mass of variable names in my memory for days, now have to look back in a matter of minutes :(

scorch
01-19-2015, 10:13 AM
I understand that the ability to use an intermediate file for probe data is the priority. I was just rambling about potential future features.

Dragonfly
01-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Is there an IDE to design the GUI or you code it manually?
I am really impressed by the size of the source code and the functionality.
There is a similar program in Java but no visual representation and less user control.

scorch
01-19-2015, 05:24 PM
I manually coded the whole thing.

scorch
01-19-2015, 09:16 PM
I am starting to work on making G-Code Ripper accept probe data files. Does anyone have sample probe data files from Mach3 and GRBL? I think they are both CSV files but sometime there are idiosyncrasies that are not captured by that generic name. If you want to help please send a sample file to my e-mail address. "scorch scorchworks.com"

Dragonfly
01-20-2015, 09:13 AM
Sent you some files, check the junk folder :)

scorch
01-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Got it. Thanks Dragonfly!

scorch
03-13-2015, 11:14 AM
I posted a new version of G-Code Ripper. Get it hear: G-Code Ripper Download (http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html#download)

Changes in Version 0.09
- Added the ability to save and read probe data files for autoprobing.
- Increased default decimal places to 1 for the feed rate. The adjusted feed rates for g-code mapped to a cylinder were being rounded to the nearest integer resulting in unpredictable cutting speeds.

RAYMAN91
03-13-2015, 11:56 AM
I downloaded G-Code Ripper. It only takes *.ngc format? I tried re-naming a *.cnc file to *.ngc and nothing shows up when I open file. This CNC file is in a BurnySAW processor format, basic 2-axis Gcode. Help?

RAYMAN91
03-13-2015, 12:34 PM
OK-I figured out I had an invalid character in my file. It looks like I have to have G codes in each command line? Is that correct?

scorch
03-13-2015, 11:57 PM
@RAYMAN91
G-Code Ripper understands g-code (XYZ axes with M codes, Feeds, variable, equations and comments) it doesn't matter what the extension is (*.ngc, *.cnc., *.tap) If there is something other than g-code in the file G-Code Ripper will probably have trouble reading it.

I am not familiar with BurnySAW.
If you send me a sample file I can tell you pretty quick if you have any chance of getting it to work.
My e-mail address is in help menu of G-Code Ripper.

Dragonfly
03-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the update, scorch.
I'll give it a try on first job that needs surface height correction.

Dragonfly
03-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Works like charm, scorch! :cheers:
Did 2 identical and relatively large (90 x 150 mm) PCBs with 2 different tools - 0.2 mm tip for contouring and 0.5 mm tip for clearing based on a single surface probe file for each PCB.
Now in case you are wondering what to do next may I suggest adding work plane rotation for drilling previously etched PCB based on entering the real coordinates of three holes taken from a mounted on the router table PCB :D

If you allow one more suggestion - put in the predefined file extension list also .nc and .txt

mcphill
03-28-2015, 01:20 PM
PCB is an awesome application for this, and I would wholeheartedly agree on the feature creep/request to allow entry of three datapoints to correct for a PCB flip placement error. This is one of those problems that has been around "forever" but I don't think the coding talent has been available to take on the challenge. scorch, the mission is yours, if you choose to accept (please do!!!)...

scorch
03-28-2015, 02:46 PM
@Dragonfly I am glad it worked for you. The PCBs look great.

I am not sure I understand the requested feature. I am not sure if you guys (mcphill and Dragonfly) are even talking about the same thing.:confused:

Can you guys explain in more detail what you are thinking? Where do the three points come from?
Whenever I flip or rotate something I drill holes and use pins to ensure consistent placement before and after the turn/flip.

Dragonfly
03-28-2015, 03:46 PM
@ mcphill
As scorch says flipping is easy using pins to fix the PCB at the same position. That's how I do double-sided ones. All you need is at least two pins with centers on one of the PCB center lines.

@ scorch
Mechanical PCB milling is limited by the nature of the process - using a cutting tool with a limit on the tip size. Sometimes I make boards for SMD components with tiny step between pins. And there is no argue that using photo transfer and chemical etching produces much fine results. I use copper clad plates which are dry laminated with photoresist. Transfer process and chemistry are quite simple and the result is high quality even in a DIY environment. Pre-drilling though cannot be done as it will induce burrs and photo templates won't fit tightly to the surface. ( In industrial production plates are drilled first, then ground and de-oiled, dried and laminated with the holes already drilled. ) Under domestic conditions drilling is done after etching. I used to do it manually, the pad holes are etched and visible, but it's a pain in the a$$. Actually this is the driving force that sent me on the road of making a CNC router :)
Now that I have it, I can drill the holes using different drill diameters provided the board is perfectly aligned and the router homed to the exact center of a particular selected hole. I repeat - hole spots are visible after etching.
Homing can be done with the help of a web camera via Mach3. Alignment is not that easy though.
I've seen there are such programs or plugins. They allow drilling and cutting of misaligned boards. On a board that is placed on the router table the user finds the centers of three holes placed at a reasonable distance from each other and feeds their actual coordinates to the program. The program already has interpreted the G-code for drilling, determines the deviations between project and real coordinates and with the help of transformation matrix generates G-code which will hit the exact drill spots no matter the board is misaligned.
The reason I mentioned it was because G-code Ripper already can:
- read and visualize G-code
- rotate the work plane

Hope I managed to explain it right.

Dragonfly
03-28-2015, 03:56 PM
metaparts - Revision 384: /trunk/metadrill (http://svn.clifford.at/metaparts/trunk/metadrill/)

there you can see some code and description of he method

mcphill
03-28-2015, 04:54 PM
@ mcphill
On a board that is placed on the router table the user finds the centers of three holes placed at a reasonable distance from each other and feeds their actual coordinates to the program. The program already has interpreted the G-code for drilling, determines the deviations between project and real coordinates and with the help of transformation matrix generates G-code which will hit the exact drill spots no matter the board is misaligned.
The reason I mentioned it was because G-code Ripper already can:
- read and visualize G-code
- rotate the work plane

Hope I managed to explain it right.

I am basically asking the same thing, for a different reason. Instead of using "extra" holes that need to be centered when you flip the board, it would be nice to pick 3 drilled holes (with "known" positions on the board) and use them to align the board for milling back side. This way you don't need alignment pins and you don't need to worry about finding/placing pins on the center line. Just fix the board down after the front side is milled and drilled, pick 3 drilled holes, and "tell" the software the coordinates of those holes (maybe also give the program the "real" position in the unedited gCode?). Then probe the board and mill the back side...

Galane
04-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Can it do a simple mirror image of the code? I'm working on an asymmetric 3D item and I need to have a left and a right one. Being able to flip the code will save me a ton of "quality time" with my 3D software and HeeksCAD.

scorch
04-07-2015, 08:37 AM
@Galane, Sorry, G-Code Ripper does not have a mirror option.

Galane
04-07-2015, 09:18 AM
How hard would it be to add that feature?

scorch
04-07-2015, 09:52 AM
It would not be terribly difficult but like everything it would take time.

Andre007
06-08-2015, 07:12 AM
Hi

I was hoping someone could shed more light on the preparation of the gcode in gcode ripper please. I used Mach3 and want to do engravings.

I`m in the dark and having problems with the zero setting of the z-axis. All is going to plan and the probing is working correctly. The machine PAUSE and once i click to proceed, the tool moves to the correct spot , but then it plunges too deep. As i`m doing engravings , i rarely need to drop below .25mm , so its very little drop. I`m presuming a lot of things, so that is propably the problem here on the z-axis.

Since the cutting tool tip is set to "0" in a small drilled spot , i presume this position will be held as the zero point and all engravings will be made from this point downward. So i set my zero to be just ontop of the wood. Is this assumption correct ?
I presume i cannot have any offsets or offset plates as this will upset the zero of the cutting tool tip.

The basic instructions then instructs to put the probing tip where the machine cutting tip was set to x-0 y-0 z-0 . These offsets are then inserted into the gcode ripper.

My question now. What happens when the probe tool is higher or lower than 0 ..... this offset i assume can be used in the z-offset then ... correct ? My probe and cutting tool will not crash as i have enough spacing around and no clamps standing out.
Obviously i`m missing something as the cutting tool plunges way to deep as i`m misunderstanding the z-axis zero setting.

Am i correct to say that in my case i should not make my zero on the z-axis below my cutting board as im` trying to make an engraving ?
I should not have offset ticked and not be using the zero z-axis plate ?
Obviously when the z-axis is slightly lower than the cutting tool (so it will have to be raised) ...say bout 2mm this z-axis offset will be calculated correctly once entered into the offset menu in the ripper program ?

Is my basic understanding correct ?

The last trial run had my cutter plunges nearly 10mm into the wood. This depth i entered as i had to raise my probe this high so it was atop the wood. Surely this offset should have compensated back to zero ???? or not ? what am i missing

thanx
Andre

scorch
06-08-2015, 12:09 PM
What happens when the probe tool is higher or lower than 0 ..... this offset i assume can be used in the z-offset then ... correct ?

If the tool is higher or lower than the probe there should be a value other than zero entered in the z offset for G-Code Ripper. If I remember correctly the offset will be negative if the probe is higher than the cutting tool because the offset is the position of the tool relative to the probe.

Am i correct to say that in my case i should not make my zero on the z-axis below my cutting board as im` trying to make an engraving ?
I should not have offset ticked and not be using the zero z-axis plate ?

Obviously when the z-axis is slightly lower than the cutting tool (so it will have to be raised) ...say bout 2mm this z-axis offset will be calculated correctly once entered into the offset menu in the ripper program ?

Is my basic understanding correct ?

After the relative position of the probe and tool are established the stock to be machined should be positioned and the coordinate system in Mach/LinuxCNC should be reset relative to the stock to be machined. Since you are probing the position of the highest point (or approximately the highest point on your stock should be the new zero position.

I hope that answered your question. If not keep asking.

cruzin
07-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Hi Scorch, Im trying to install this in my ubuntu 10.04 RTI computer. I keep getting errors. Can you point out what Im doing wrong? thanks

mark@ws5:~/Downloads$ cd ripper
mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$ ls
g-code_ripper-009.py G-Code_Ripper-0.09_src.zip
G-Code_Ripper-0.09_src g-code_ripper-009.zip
mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$ python py2exe_setup.py py2exe
python: can't open file 'py2exe_setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$

scorch
07-06-2015, 11:33 PM
py2exe is used to create a Windows executable. (i.e. it is not needed for Linux)

For Linux you just need to have the python file "g-code_ripper-009.py" and have Python installed. Just type "python g-code_ripper-009.py" at the command prompt to run it. You need to run the command from within the folder containing the python file for the command to work.

See if that works.

Galane
07-07-2015, 12:05 AM
What would it take to have this do mirroring on X or Y axis, with the proper cut direction, cutter compensation etc so it does it right? Newer CNC machines have mirror G-Code commands, but my little old ProLIGHT does not. It can rotate, offset, scale but *not* mirror.

cruzin
07-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Hi Scorch, Im trying to install this in my ubuntu 10.04 RTI computer. I keep getting errors. Can you point out what Im doing wrong? thanks

mark@ws5:~/Downloads$ cd ripper
mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$ ls
g-code_ripper-009.py G-Code_Ripper-0.09_src.zip
G-Code_Ripper-0.09_src g-code_ripper-009.zip
mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$ python py2exe_setup.py py2exe
python: can't open file 'py2exe_setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
mark@ws5:~/Downloads/ripper$

Its solved. thanks

cruzin
07-07-2015, 12:10 AM
py2exe is used to create a Windows executable. (i.e. it is not needed for Linux)

For Linux you just need to have the python file "g-code_ripper-009.py" and have Python installed. Just type "python g-code_ripper-009.py" at the command prompt to run it. You need to run the command from within the folder containing the python file for the command to work.

See if that works.

Got it thanks, great program

Vogavt
07-07-2015, 12:36 AM
What would it take to have this do mirroring on X or Y axis, with the proper cut direction, cutter compensation etc so it does it right? Newer CNC machines have mirror G-Code commands, but my little old ProLIGHT does not. It can rotate, offset, scale but *not* mirror.
Since you said it can scale, try using a negative number, i.e., scale for X is -1 & Y is -1 instead of just a percentage or factor. I believe that works for some software but can't recall which one at the moment.

Galane
07-07-2015, 04:23 AM
I'd have to dig through the manual, the ancient, non-searchable, PDF manual wherin the text is all outlines with no actual text so it's not searchable. I read through it once and don't recall anything about negative numbers. I did some editing on it to fix problems. Someday I may just retype the whole thing so it will be searchable.

The software for it is for DOS and only DOS. If it was the less nice stepper motor version instead of the servo version, I could use the Windows software. (What sort of company does that?) One of these days I need to setup a RS232C capturing system to see if support can be worked up for LCNC.

cruzin
07-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Got it thanks, great program

Would it be possible to post some ripper gcode for one of the items on your site?

scorch
07-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Would it be possible to post some ripper gcode for one of the items on your site?
I don't know if I have any of the files anymore. What are you interested in?

cruzin
07-07-2015, 11:05 AM
I don't know if I have any of the files anymore. What are you interested in?

just something to look at like cutting the skull on the mouse.

scorch
07-07-2015, 11:48 AM
just something to look at like cutting the skull on the mouse.
I will see what I can dig up later today. If I don't have the file I can make a new one.

scorch
07-07-2015, 09:46 PM
I will see what I can dig up later today. If I don't have the file I can make a new one.

I attached a zip file with the files needed to create the Hackaday logo (Jolly Wrencher) on the mouse.

I included the following files:
Hackaday_Logo.dxf --- DXF file of the logo
Hackaday_Logo.ngc --- G-code file of the flat engraving
Hackaday_Logo_probe_n_cut_offset.ngc --- G-code file that I used to create the carved mouse (includes offsets for my probe location)
Hackaday_Logo_probe_n_cut.ngc --- G-code file that could create the carved mouse (the offsets were removed so the probe and tool are in the same location)

I am not sure what you want to do with the file but here they are if you are interested.

cruzin
07-08-2015, 01:02 AM
I attached a zip file with the files needed to create the Hackaday logo (Jolly Wrencher) on the mouse.

I included the following files:
Hackaday_Logo.dxf --- DXF file of the logo
Hackaday_Logo.ngc --- G-code file of the flat engraving
Hackaday_Logo_probe_n_cut_offset.ngc --- G-code file that I used to create the carved mouse (includes offsets for my probe location)
Hackaday_Logo_probe_n_cut.ngc --- G-code file that could create the carved mouse (the offsets were removed so the probe and tool are in the same location)

I am not sure what you want to do with the file but here they are if you are interested.

Thanks, were anxious to check it out. thanks again.

Galane
10-15-2015, 04:00 AM
Lookie here! G-Code mirroring code. https://github.com/bkubicek/grecode

rbraeking
05-01-2016, 08:29 AM
This is just what I have been looking for. I have a customer who wants to engrave a logo in a gunstock. I was thinking of putting aluminum foil tape (the sort used for sealing a/c ducts) on the gunstock and using the tool tip as the probe grounding the tool setting puck to the foil tape. I have yet to try it out but am anxious to do so. Thanks, scorch for coding this software. I found this through the CNC Coockbook blog.

Bob

Vogavt
05-01-2016, 08:37 AM
I built an additional type probe using a momentary switch. No matter what kind of material I probe now, it works. And there's no glue residue to clean up.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

jfong
05-01-2016, 12:24 PM
I tested his probing software when he first announced it. I made a probe with a switch inside. The software worked perfect. I also used his software to wrap gcode for 4th axis rotary. Great piece of software.

mroschk
10-29-2016, 10:27 PM
Hello,

i have a Little Problem with the Output from SolidWorks.
G-Code Ripper gives me 3 Errors which i have to correct in the G-Code before i can load it into the Ripper.

1. O Codes are not supported
2. A Codes are not supported
3. D Codes are not supported

After deleting this codes i can finally load the file. Hopefully i did not delete any important Things from the original Code. ( i am new in CNC Milling )

Also there is a black command window all the time. What is that for and can i start the Ripper without this window?

Would be great to have an answer...because this is a very great Programm !!!

Matthias

scorch
10-30-2016, 12:00 AM
i have a Little Problem with the Output from SolidWorks.
G-Code Ripper gives me 3 Errors which i have to correct in the G-Code before i can load it into the Ripper.

1. O Codes are not supported
2. A Codes are not supported
3. D Codes are not supported

After deleting this codes i can finally load the file. Hopefully i did not delete any important Things from the original Code. ( i am new in CNC Milling )

1. I am not clear on what the O code at on the first line of this file is doing. Usually I see O codes with a keyword after them (sub, repeat, etc). This O code does not seem to be doing anything so you are safe deleting it. (Maybe someone smart will tell us why it is there.)
2. The A codes in the file indicate A-axis movements The code only sets the A-axis to the zero position two time so you are safe deleting these also
3. The D code sets the tool diameter for the tool that is selected. There is no tool compensation called so you are safe deleting this one also. (The G40 explicitly turns it off)

I make G-Code Ripper stop processing on these codes to force the user to bypass them if needed. I would rather make the user makes the decision. There might be settings in Solid works to get rid of these unneeded codes.

Also there is a black command window all the time. What is that for and can i start the Ripper without this window?
The extra black window is an artifact of the way I produce the Windows executable. You can pretty much ignore it. You can run without the black window by installing Python on your machine and running the .py file directly. I don't recommend that because I don't want to have to support people getting python running and the way I package the executable files they run faster than a standard Python install would run.

mroschk
10-30-2016, 06:58 AM
Hello,

thnks for the fast Answer!!

Maybe the O-Codes Comes from the Postprocessor i use. It is called "PostDevTestMachine.vmid" and "PostDevTestMachine.gpp".
I think i found it here, or maybe somewhere else.

But i also tried other PostProcessors in Solidcam. There are also These O-Codes inside the final Code.

It would be very GREAT if you could do some changes in your Ripper,
an Option for the user to self decide to let the Ripper skip the O, D and A codes.

It would be very great if you could do that and recompile one Windows Version without the Debug Window.

Would be great of you...Thanks
Matthias

mroschk
10-30-2016, 07:16 AM
...i have an Additional question and here some better explayin what i mean.
Attached is a Picture where you can see my Probe.
When i move the Z-Axis down until the Probe just touches the Part i have a Z-Value of ...lets say -10.000.
That is the Position of the Probe you can see in the Picture.

But the Wires of the Probe are not closed at this Moment.
To Close the wires i have to move the Z-Axis around 2.5mm down.

So, what Value have i to put in to the "Probe Z Offset" in the Ripper ? ( -10.000 or -12.500 )

Thanks
MAtthias

scorch
10-30-2016, 10:48 PM
So, what Value have i to put in to the "Probe Z Offset" in the Ripper ? ( -10.000 or -12.500 )

use the -12.500 value.

mroschk
10-31-2016, 06:54 AM
Hello,

ok, i will try that this eve when i am back home.

Can you say something about the other question i ask you?

Would be great, because i had yesterday, as example, a *.TAP file with a very lot of D1 Values....

Greetings and Thanks
Matthias

Galane
10-31-2016, 11:34 PM
I'd still like to see this able to mirror image G-Code, while keeping the same movement direction so regular milling doesn't switch to climb milling, or visa-versa.

scorch
10-31-2016, 11:57 PM
I'd still like to see this able to mirror image G-Code, while keeping the same movement direction so regular milling doesn't switch to climb milling, or visa-versa.

I think about the potential mirror option sometimes but getting it to work right with the milling style (climb mill vs. conventional) make things complicated. Running the tool path backwards to achieve the same cut style could be disastrous. I am not sure how it would be possible to get the cuts correct.

scorch
11-01-2016, 12:12 AM
Maybe the O-Codes Comes from the Postprocessor i use. It is called "PostDevTestMachine.vmid" and "PostDevTestMachine.gpp".
I think i found it here, or maybe somewhere else.

You might consider making a copy of the post processor files and edit them to fit your need. I am not familiar with the format of Solidcam files but generally post processor files are reasonably easy to edit especially if you are only looking to suppress some specific commands.

It would be very GREAT if you could do some changes in your Ripper,
an Option for the user to self decide to let the Ripper skip the O, D and A codes.

I might change the behavior so the errors can by bypassed but I am not planning on working on that anytime soon.

It would be very great if you could do that and recompile one Windows Version without the Debug Window.

You can run without the black window by installing Python on your machine and running the .py file directly.

mroschk
11-01-2016, 04:19 AM
You might consider making a copy of the post processor files and edit them to fit your need. I am not familiar with the format of Solidcam files but generally post processor files are reasonably easy to edit especially if you are only looking to suppress some specific commands.

I might change the behavior so the errors can by bypassed but I am not planning on working on that anytime soon.

You can run without the black window by installing Python on your machine and running the .py file directly.

Hello

i anot firm enough to edit the PostProcessor, sorry.

That means you will ot Change thins in the Ripper?
That would be too bad !!

Matthias

rbraeking
11-01-2016, 04:37 AM
You are asking a bit much for some freeware. Mirror in your CAD/CAM.

Dragonfly
03-12-2017, 04:48 PM
Hi scorch,
Trying to migrate to Linux as much as possible. Installed the dependencies and ran the .py file (Ubuntu). And surprise - it works :)

X3msnake
12-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Greetings Master

Do you have the code on the github?

scorch
12-18-2017, 10:10 PM
Greetings Master

Do you have the code on the github?

No. The source code is readily available at www.scorchworks.com

DenisBBB
05-08-2018, 05:08 AM
No. The source code is readily available at Scorch Works (http://www.scorchworks.com)

Hi,

when I try to download a Windows version, I receive this error:

"Gateway Anti-Virus Alert

This request is blocked by the Firewall Gateway Anti-Virus Service. Name: (Cloud Id: 44893176) MalOb.GX (Trojan) blocked."

Do you know why?

Regards