PDA

View Full Version : Fried Spindle Bearings - under 1 yeart old

widgitmaster
03-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Last night I was finishing up 40 new 1/2"-10 Acme leadscrews, when my lathe began making noise! It was even noiser than the wobble gears!

I have one of those Chinese JET 9x20 toys! (never again!) :mad:
What burns me up is that its less than a year old! I hope the bearings are available in the USA!

Man I wish I had an old 8-station Hardinge Chucker! I love those machines!

I have been Googleing around looking for a used Chucker close to Florida, no can find! Texas or Ohio is the closest, and over $3k :rolleyes:

I anxiousl wait for the day when I can put that Jet lathe on the curb!

Eric

ViperTX
03-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Tweak Jet's reseller/distributor....they may provide some relief...

widgitmaster
03-19-2006, 06:42 PM
I think I like the Curb idea better! This lathe is not powerfull enough to do anything I need, its a constant battle! I know its bad when I have to make round parts in the bridgeport instead of the lathe!

Im not going to be happy until I get a good Chucker or 13x40 Engine lathe!

May be I should sell it on eBay one piece at a time like it was a Southbend lathe! HeHe! :rolleyes:

Eric

RICHARD ZASTROW
03-20-2006, 12:17 PM
WidgitMaster! It could have been worse. You could have purchased a Birmingham. Seriously, there were (are?) a few Hardinges on ebay last week. Also a 3" compact HBM
rz

Mcgyver
03-20-2006, 04:35 PM
May be I should sell it on eBay

make sure you paint it, all of it, including the ways. gets more money that way

widgitmaster
03-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks Mcgyver, I needed a good laugh!

I have been looking for a good used machine warehouse near me, I would like to get a package deal on a small Surface Grinder, Engine Lathe, and a horizontal band saw!

Then my shop will be complete! And the hole in my pocket will be much bigger!

Eric

brianaldrich
03-20-2006, 08:53 PM
i have repaired a lot of these jet lathes the spindle bearings are not great but if you go to your bearing house and get a good set of bearings for the spindle and cross slide realine the cross slide and ajust the gibs it will do a pritty good job for you

chipslinger
08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I have a lathe that consistantly cuts 6 tenths out of round, we just replaced the spindle bearings and the problem didnt change a bit. Does anyone have any input or know someone who would?

Mcgyver
08-17-2006, 07:00 PM
its cutting an ellipse? what do you get if you indicated the spindle?

Cruiser
03-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I think i may have a possible for you, i just got a new 12x36 enco pkg and the chuck wobbled, so i took it off, wiped, and reinstalled it to find the pins don't pull the chuck into square whith spindle. So it wobbled, I loosened one and bumped another tight till it was tight and true, i'll have to look at it closer when i take it off again.