PDA

View Full Version : New member, new machine on the way! CRP4848

TurnTex
06-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Hello folks,

I am a new member here at CNCZone. I have been reading everything here for the last couple of weeks and finally joined. I own a small, one man shop that manufactures acrylic vacuum chambers. Business is good and I needed to increase productivity so I bit the bullet and ordered a CNC router. I had been wanting one for a year or so but just could not justify going in to debt to do it. I finally saved up the money so I could pay cash and placed my order and paid for it tonight! I will be building a CRP4848 with my own base. Here is what all I got with my system in case you are interested:

1 x CRP4848 4' x 4' CNC Router Kit
- Version: Nema 23 Compatible (Standard)
1 x Pro Rack and Pinion upgrade
1 x VCarve Pro CAM Software
1 x Mach3 CNC Control Software
1 x Complete Cable Track Kit
- Machine Size: CRP4848 4' x 4'
1 x 4 Axis Electronics Kit
- Cable Upgrade: (2) 12' and (2) 20' cables (+$12.00)
- Motor Shaft Diameter: 3/8" (Low Inductance 320 oz-in
1 x Hitachi M1VC Router Mount
- Version: Standard
1 x Emergency Stop
1 x 10 Foot Parallel Port Cable
1 x Proximity Limit Switch Kit

I wanted to publicly thank tangeray for his thread on this machine and his build videos! I heard about the R&P upgrade from his video and called them today and had them change my system to include this before I made the purchase. His videos were very helpful in seeing how it all goes together. Thank you tangeray!

Now to get busy on the base while I wait for the kit to get here! Of course, that will be after the shock of spending $5k on a machine wears off a little! This is the second largest shop machine purchase I have made, second only to my Timberking 1220 sawmill. I am sure it will increase my accuracy and productivity significantly and will pay for itself quickly.

I doubt I will do a build log as I am the type that likes to get in a get it done and won't want to stop and take pictures! I will try to post some photos of things on occasion as i go along.

Thanks for a great forum and for all the helpful folks here! I am sure I will be needing to draw from your expertise from time to time.

I do have a question, if I may. I have never operated a CNC router before. I do have a really good idea of how it works and have already downloaded the VCarve Pro Trial and have been working with it and getting familiar. Is there any good tutorials out there on actually operating a CNC Router? Not concerned with the CAM software or even Mach 3 for that matter. I am looking for something that give tips on the actual hardware operation and what to watch out for and how to do things such as placing an irregular shaped object on the machine and telling it where it is so I can engrave something on it for example.

Thanks again! I am excited about this new learning adventure!

david1991ross
06-15-2013, 03:23 PM
I am also new on this forum and am interested in this particular model of CNC machine. I am the same way as you, I do not like to post pictures either. But if you could make an effort to do so I would be very appreciative. Good luck and congratulations.

TurnTex
06-15-2013, 04:38 PM
I am also new on this forum and am interested in this particular model of CNC machine. I am the same way as you, I do not like to post pictures either. But if you could make an effort to do so I would be very appreciative. Good luck and congratulations.

David,

You may want to check out this thread if you haven't: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy_cnc_router_table_machines/179446-cncrp_4848_prep.html

I found a LOT of good info and got a better understanding of the kit itself from his videos. It is recent too so it is the same kit I have on order.

vtx1029
06-16-2013, 09:02 PM
For carving on an odd shape I find it easiest to set the X0,Y0 in the middle of the piece. If your doing multiples then make a fixture and you can place the X0Y0 anywhere you want. You can also cut lines in your table for reference so you can get things aligned straight. I tend to use a 1/4 V-bit to set where I want my zero points.

If you have not checked out the SUPER PID thread do so and I suggest buying one.

If you have not seen this its worth checking out. Its saved me a bunch of $ http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizLite.htmlhttp://

You can check out my build thread in my signature below. Good luck.

TurnTex
06-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the info vtx1029. I have already looked at your build thread before you even posted!