PDA

View Full Version : Madclicker's Second Machine

Madclicker
03-07-2006, 11:53 PM
I've decided to start a new build log (blog) for my second cnc machine.

Originally I intended to use my glueup table as the base for my second machine, but have changed my mind. The dedicated glueup table is just too valuable as is.

My second machine will be a stand-alone cnc multi-router. I don't know if this has ever been done before? Seems like a great tool. I've seen a few posts about milling the ends of stock and this is just what a multi-router does well.....mortises, tenons, etc.

I have many surplus parts from my first machine that already give a start to this project.

Jason Marsha
03-08-2006, 05:14 PM
It should be interesting to see how you implement it.

Jason

spalm
03-08-2006, 11:17 PM
OK. I’ll try again, mystery man. :)

Are you talking about a mortising/tenoning machine? Like with the router mounted horizontal and the work piece fixed? Keep it to a two axis machine? It would require some special software, but I think we could come up with that. (Dovetails ?........)

Steve

Edit: I guess you will really want 3 axis, but the movement is small.

WhiteTiger
03-08-2006, 11:29 PM
http://www.djmarks.com/multirouter.asp

Tiger

spalm
03-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Mr. Tiger, my thoughts exactly.

Price: $2695.00

Steve

Madclicker
03-09-2006, 12:14 AM
OK. I’ll try again, mystery man. :)

Are you talking about a mortising/tenoning machine? Like with the router mounted horizontal and the work piece fixed? Keep it to a two axis machine? It would require some special software, but I think we could come up with that. (Dovetails ?........)

Steve

Edit: I guess you will really want 3 axis, but the movement is small.

Steve, I don't understand the mystery man thing. If I offended you before, I'm sorry. It was unintentional. I don't have the skills to draw what I want to build....nor the time to learn.

My vision looks like a "horizontal router table", but with 3 cnc axis.

It is inspired/motivated by the multi-roulter that David Marks uses.....yea, $2700 and no cnc!

WhiteTiger
03-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Definitely a worthy DIY project, given the unreal pricing. ;)

This should be a pretty straightforward build given the short axes (hopefully anyway). At least you shouldn't have to worry much about deflections or screw whip LOL

It'll be interesting to see it take shape.

Tiger

spalm
03-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Steve, please ignore my statements. I thought you were just trying to be coy. My bad.

This sounds like a really interesting project to me. Do you have thoughts on how it would look? The machine mentioned above seems to have a moving table for XY and a vertical lift for the horizontal Z?

Steve

Madclicker
03-09-2006, 09:47 AM
The X-Y are just stacked sliding tables. I have some ball bearing drawer slides and they seem really tight. Might work well for these 2 axes.

Like you said, the Z is a vertical sliding table holding a horizontal router.

The sliding axes should be straightforward enough. I'm not having a lot of luck coming up with a good desigh for the major base. It needs to be L-shaped and rigid in all directions. I may make this structure out of 3" square al tube.

spalm
03-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Steve,

Have you thought about just mounting a router horizontaly on your Z? Like this. (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=108230&postcount=7) You will be limited to the width of the table for side mortises.

Seems like one needs to have a really good "return to zero" set of switches.

Steve

Madclicker
03-09-2006, 11:49 PM
I had not thought of an end of table 2 axis gantry. My tunnel vision didn't let me look past the standard multi-router design. That's why I posted here before I started the build. Many *geenyus* minds to draw from.

Halfnutz
03-09-2006, 11:58 PM
For sure, thats the way to go, mounting the router horizontally. That and some simple gcode moves and it'l do everything plus more than the multi-router does , eh?

Great idea!

keyne
03-10-2006, 06:33 AM
A Z-Axis with a hinge would be cool, would make for quick changeover from vertical to horizontal router position.
Could be *very* handy as it avoids having to clamp the workpiece vertically, which also limits worpiece length to table height.
what the heck, where are the plans for an easy to build 5-axis head :stickpoke ? ;)

Madclicker
03-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Well, this project is dead in the water. All I have to do to get more than the funtionality of a multi-router is design my gantry and Z carriage to accommodate both a vertical and horizontal router mounting system. Quick change would be nice, as would quick change dust collection setup.