PDA

View Full Version : Trying to wrap my head around Tool Offsets

declanhalpin
05-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Hi all,

We have several cutters that are multi-stage cutters, so you use the bottom half of of the cutter to plunge cut, then the upper half (which also has a different diameter) to do a final pass. So the tool number doesn't change, we're just using a different spot on the same cutter.

How to I integrate this into MadCam/Mach3? I am having trouble finding information, but I believe "Tool Offsets" is the proper term. I see that MadCam allows me to designate an "offset number" but I'm not sure what that's referring to. Is there an offset table in Mach? I only see a Tool Table which attributes a constant offset to each tool (I think)....

?

tx,

dh

turmite
05-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Number of the tool length offset. This is used when post processing.

This is copied from the help file. It has to do with tool length but associated with overall length. I am pretty sure you will have to name the upper part of your cutter another number and select it from tool change. I have never seen this ask before and am not sure of the answer.

Mike

williamsmotower
05-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Can't you use 2 tool#'s... make both toolpaths... then in general config of mach select ignore toolchange. But be careful for future jobs!

Or, just remove toolchange in gcode after post