PDA

View Full Version : Setup Guide for ACTech SMVector VFD with spindle and C6

Decibel Guitars
04-16-2013, 02:29 PM
Hey, guys!

A couple of you asked me for details on my setup, since i seem to be one of the first to get this particular VFD and spindle setup working.

Hopefully this clarifies everything in the hardware and software setup.

ASSUMPTIONS:

You are using CNC4PC C10 (breakout box) and C6 (spindle speed control) cards (or equivalent);
Your spindle is being powered by 240V AC, single phase;
You are using the latest version of Mach3; and
Standard disclaimers apply. ;)

If you have any questions, ask 'em here and i will attempt to answer them. :)

darren.

GUIDE UPDATED TO v1.1

Version History:
v1.0 2013.04.16 Initial release
v1.1 2013.04.16 Added VFD commissioning parameters

ngr1
04-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks for sharing the information, it is very helpful.

I am working from a home shop and therefore making use of a dryer outlet to obtain the 220 volt source. I bought a plug for my dryer socket from Home Depot and it as 4 wires which is one wire more than depicted in your diagram.

Your diagram (attached below) does not account for the red wire I have. Any suggestions?

Decibel Guitars
04-16-2013, 09:35 PM
It looks like your dryer is a two-phase connection, in which case, i believe you'd connect the third conductor to L3.

If in doubt, please consult a licensed electrician!

ngr1
04-17-2013, 03:05 PM
I received some clarity from the VFD forum and was told to simply avoid hooking up the white wire so I will try that. My last question relates to the connections at the spindle end. Your diagram in the pdf file does not show the bottom terminals which are bridge as it is in the pictures I have attached. Can you please take a picture of the terminal connections on your spindle as I did? Thanks again for your help.

gio666
04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2iixxtz.jpg

Decibel Guitars
04-18-2013, 02:41 AM
You need to remove the nuts from the terminals and re-orient the jumpers so they're in the vertical orientation as per my diagram, then re-install the nuts.

mrlttlman
05-23-2013, 07:51 PM
decibel guitars. where did you hook up your pwm to . did you use caps and a resistor. and how does that drive perform. just ordered a 10hp one so I hope its good?

William