PDA

View Full Version : Planar Finishing Toolpath Problem in Latest Beta

theremin
04-13-2013, 08:07 PM
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but with the 3-15-2013 Beta, I lost the ability to generate a planar finishing tool path. When I try to use it, it doesn't ever come up with the little pop up box to show progress, but instead seems to instantly duplicate the z level finish path. It doesn't matter what kind of planar finishing method I try, the results are the same. I'm also having some problems where generating a tool path sometimes runs my processor utilization up to 100% and runs very slowly. I'm running 8 pretty fast cores with Win7 Pro, so this is an unusual situation for me. Memory utilization is normal when this occurs.

I've reverted to the previous Beta and all of the problems have gone away. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Dave

John Coloccia
04-14-2013, 12:52 AM
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but with the 3-15-2013 Beta, I lost the ability to generate a planar finishing tool path. When I try to use it, it doesn't ever come up with the little pop up box to show progress, but instead seems to instantly duplicate the z level finish path. It doesn't matter what kind of planar finishing method I try, the results are the same. I'm also having some problems where generating a tool path sometimes runs my processor utilization up to 100% and runs very slowly. I'm running 8 pretty fast cores with Win7 Pro, so this is an unusual situation for me. Memory utilization is normal when this occurs.

I've reverted to the previous Beta and all of the problems have gone away. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Dave

I've found that if you don't reselect the tool coming out of Z-Level, it will do that. So if you're like me and you happen to use the same tool for Z Level and Planar, you come out of Z Level, hit Planar, it thinks for 2 seconds and copies the Z-Level path. If you reselect the tool before Planar it will create the Planar path. I think I reported that and Joakim is aware of it.

There's another quirk too that I haven't quite nailed down, and I'm not sure how I get into this mode but I do. Sometimes it will add a toolpath but the path won't show up in the Layer list. If you save, exit Rhino and reopen it, the path will be there and you can continue after reselect everything.

svenakela
04-14-2013, 04:18 AM
I've found that if you don't reselect the tool coming out of Z-Level, it will do that. So if you're like me and you happen to use the same tool for Z Level and Planar, you come out of Z Level, hit Planar, it thinks for 2 seconds and copies the Z-Level path. If you reselect the tool before Planar it will create the Planar path. I think I reported that and Joakim is aware of it.

There's another quirk too that I haven't quite nailed down, and I'm not sure how I get into this mode but I do. Sometimes it will add a toolpath but the path won't show up in the Layer list. If you save, exit Rhino and reopen it, the path will be there and you can continue after reselect everything.

I've reported it too. The second thing you experience is a Rhino thing, the layers dialog doesn't refresh when it should. There's a major ongoing (major) rework to get rid of that problem, which is a problem that has been present since the first beta I installed.

paulcc
04-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Is there an estimated ETA on the next madCAM beta release? I'm running out of things to do without working madCAM:(

Dan B
04-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Hi John,

You can refresh the layer list without closing Rhino. Just go to the layer filters (the little funnel icon), then switch from "all layers" to "on layers" and then back to "all layers". This will refresh the layer list.

Dan

John Coloccia
04-15-2013, 04:03 PM
That's very convenient. Thanks, Dan. I was just happy when I figured out that the layer was actually there but just invisible!

Paul: this particular one actually works but it's clunky. You just have to remember to reselect the tool before choosing the machining strategy.