PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Drive Surface Height

declanhalpin
04-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Hi all,

For some reason, When I try to use a drive surface, MadCAM generates a toolpath that is floating in the air. I have corresponded privately with Joakim - and he has been very helpful (as always) - but for some reason I am still having the same problem. He explained that I need to set the Drive Surface height as the distance to the tallest area from the Drive Srf, but that doesn't do it for me. I'm sure it's obscenely simple....

The file is attached.

JOM
04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Hi,

I think it looks OK.
The toolpath curve is always saved at cutter center in madCAM. You have used a ball cutter and that's why the curve is located the cutter radius above the model.
You will see that the cutter tip will touch your model If you run the toolpath in the simulator.

/Joakim

declanhalpin
04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi Joakim,

In the options there is a setting to have the curves at the cutter center or tip. I have tip selected - does this option refer to something else?

D

svenakela
04-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Yes it does refer to 2D paths only. Don't use that, it will only confuse you. Set the option to tool center again and you'll get the same behaviour whatever function you use.

JOM
04-04-2013, 03:33 AM
Perhaps this is a bit confusing, but this option is only for 2D.
It is possible to set if the tool path should be calculated from the tip or the center in relation to the curve level when using any of the 2D functions like profiling, pocketing or facing.
For example, if you make a 2D profiling with a ball end cutter at the bottom of a pocket directly from the edge contours of the model. It is better to choose curve location at cutter tip,
because then the tool path becomes positioned above the curve to avoid gouging.

/Joakim