PDA

View Full Version : Problem What happened to the pocketing in the latest beta?

John Coloccia
03-18-2013, 08:53 PM
I used to be able to make a .38" hole with a .25" cutter. Now it won't let me make a hole less than .45". All I'm doing is trying to make a round hole for an alignment pin. That's the only thing on my model. One surface and one hole. Now it will only work if I use a ramp angle of 90 degrees and force it to plunge.

FWIW, it appears to be the same in the last beta as well. It works perfectly well in 4.3, but 4.3 seems to be buggy with Rhino 5.0 and has been giving me trouble.

paulcc
04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Hi John,

Did you ever get ths issue resolved? Just today with the latest Rhino service release and MADCAM 3/15, I am having similar issues. In a couple of instances MADCAM crashed Rhino just as I first selected the model for toolpath generation. I think the problems may be related.

John Coloccia
04-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Hi John,

Did you ever get ths issue resolved? Just today with the latest Rhino service release and MADCAM 3/15, I am having similar issues. In a couple of instances MADCAM crashed Rhino just as I first selected the model for toolpath generation. I think the problems may be related.

It's not resolved yet. I sent Joakim a file that shows the problem. Are you cutting wood or metal? For wood, try increasing the ramp angle and see if you can get it to go like that. If not, and you have a large enough cutter, you can try the profiling tool path. I forget the details, but i believe I was able to get a profiling tool path to work with a smaller hole than pocketing. If you're in metal and you really need a shallow ramp, I'm not sure what the solution is. You could make a real hole and then use a roughing(pocketing strategy)/finishing sequence....or maybe just a roughing with 0 stock to leave. I haven't tried that yet. I usually don't model holes and pockets unless I have a reason to. I just use the outlines....much simpler for the kind of work I do, and far more flexile.

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail, and I'll send you the test Rhino file that I sent Joakim so that you can get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

I've had some random crashes too, but it really seems very random in my case. Rhino 5 itself is/was not entirely stable, although the more recent releases seem a lot better. Rhino/MadCAM hasn't crashed on me for a while now.

paulcc
04-08-2013, 01:53 PM
I am cutting wood and did try the steep ramp angle as you suggested with success. madCAM still crashes Rhino often, so I am hoping for a new beta release soon. Thanks for good info!

paulcc
04-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Well, I spoke to soon. Now pocketing never works, even on two older models on which it worked before, and my latest model gets reliably crashed by madCAM every time I try to select the objects for toolpath creation. ARGH!

svenakela
04-08-2013, 03:47 PM
What do you do make it crash? Rhino hasn't crashed since several years for me.
I've just installed the latest Rhino service release, so it would be good to know what you do to make it happen. On the other hand I see that the late beta defects I found in Rhino are now fixed. :)

paulcc
04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Shortest path to crash:
1. Boot up computer
2. Navigate to Rhino file and double click to open it.
3. click madCAM toolpath calculation selection icon
4. After it completes loading, select the model and right click mouse.
5. Crash Rhino

John Coloccia
04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
You know, one thing I DID find that made Rhino/MadCAM very unstable is I was running some desktop switching thing that came with my Quadro video card. I don't remember the exact details now, but I do remember that having their desktop management stuff running made the whole setup incredibly unstable. I finally disabled that "just in case", and everything improved to the point that crashes are infrequent now.

svenakela
04-09-2013, 03:02 AM
Shortest path to crash:
1. Boot up computer
2. Navigate to Rhino file and double click to open it.
3. click madCAM toolpath calculation selection icon
4. After it completes loading, select the model and right click mouse.
5. Crash Rhino

I have done it several times now with the latest of everything.
Do you remember what happened the first time it crashed, what command did you invoke for example? Try to reinstall MadCAM, maybe Rhino too. My guess is that you have a corrupt file somewhere caused by the initial crash (which could be triggered by almost anything from a failed upgrade to malfunctioning hardware).

paulcc
04-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Hey Sven,

Well, I noticed that if I hid some of my geometry it didnt crash, so by trial and error, I identified the offending bits. It was some holding tabs I had placed which apparently had developed some stray data that bombed madCAM. So, I deleted and recreated them and now I am free of the crash problem. Maybe Joakim can bolster error trapping/identification?

Anyway, now I am back to the original topic of this thread which is that I cannot pocket a hole. For instance, I try to pocket a .175" hole with a .125" cutter .5" deep. Seems simple, but I get a "Add toolpath to Rhno failed" message each time. Any ideas? I tried again John's suggestion to use 90deg ramp angle which worked once before, but now no luck.

BTW, I did reinstall Rhino and madCAM.

John Coloccia
04-09-2013, 01:31 PM
From my experimenting, I think it may work if you try a steep ramp with profiling, but not with pocketing.

svenakela
04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
There are problems with the profiling/pocketing. I think there's a major rework of the 2D functions coming, that's at least the hints I've got. Things are not really working as expected in Rhino 5 and the result is that some parts of MadCAM must be changed to be fully compliant.

paulcc
04-10-2013, 04:00 PM
I understand. I'll standby for the next beta release. Thanks Sven and John!

Treeline
04-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Just to add to the mix, I've found that there are some methods for creating the toolpath in Madcam that it (Madcam) just doesn't like. I can't recall every instance, but when I cause a crash, it's that it "feels" like a method that just shouldn't be tried anyway. For instance, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't create any kind of tool path until I noticed that my drawing was in inches but I was choosing bits from the metric bit library.
I also noticed (giving Madcam a big pass here), that more often than not, Madcam would hang if I hadn't been careful to make sure that my drawing consisted of all of the proper entities that Madcam expected to see. That is, Madcam would hang because it couldn't figure out what the heck I was asking it to do.
I'm sort of sure that, yes, there are some bugs in Rhino and/or Madcam, but I mostly find that I'm the one causing the problem. Once I fix my model, I can then create the tool paths I wanted.