PDA

View Full Version : Best Lubricant for linear rails?

Gittinitdone
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Just put a new spoil board on my machine and noticed just a hint of rust on my x and y rails. I've been using white lithium grease on the cold rolled steel tracks. A friend suggested standard 30w motor oil...which sounds logical??? What is the better alternative to lithium grease? I'm on the coast in Florida with salt air and high humidity.

Machinaria
03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
I use white lithium grease and it works just fine

wetfoot
03-13-2013, 09:59 PM
I use Kleen-flo teflon lube the name on the can is tef-lube 2000 I find it to be super product and it will prevent rusting.

Treeline
03-22-2013, 10:11 AM
You might consider going with one of the lubricants made specifically for the purpose, that is, slideway oils. Mobil's is called "Vactra" and Shell's is called "Tonna", both available in various viscosities. 68 is generally considered best for all the horizontal rails, and the 220 viscosity is preferred for the vertical rails where you don't want oil dripping down onto your table.
Both of those oils also specifically address anti-rust requirements.

Treeline
03-22-2013, 10:14 AM
I use white lithium grease and it works just fine

It works fine as a lubricant, but it catches dust and becomes an abrasive emulsion. Just something to keep in mind.

underthetire
03-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Are we talking linear rails or linear guides. Don't think vac 2 is a good choice for rails, and most modern guides use grease pack or a light oil in foam reservoirs built in the trucks.

Gittinitdone
03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Are we talking linear rails or linear guides.

I was referring to the actual linear rails (tracks) and not the sealed bearings that ride on the rails. The silicon sounds like a good solution in that it dries and is less likely to attract dust.