PDA

View Full Version : Adding Surface to Top of Text

Treeline
03-11-2013, 06:18 PM
I know this is a Rhino question for the most part, but it applies to Madcam because when I add text to a surface and then create a toolpath, Madcam cuts around the text but also then hollows them out because there is no surface at the top of the letters.
Am I overlooking something really simple on how to "easily" add a surface to the tops of text?

svenakela
03-12-2013, 08:04 AM
If you are making the text with the text command in Rhino you click the checkbox for making surfaces or solids, it's right in the middle of the text dialog.
Otherwise you can make surfaces for each wireframe with a bunch of surface commands, PlanarSrf for example.

Treeline
03-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Right, I understand that part of the Text command.
I have been doing some more experimenting with it and found that it might be a bug in Rhino, so I'll pose the question in the Rhino group.

What I've stumbled upon is that Rhino can use any of the Truetype fonts to generate text, but not all of the fonts come out right.
For example, Arial works the way I assume it should where when using the Surface checkbox will generate a flat surface of the font, and if you Extrude upward, then the surface will be at the top of the font. Also, if you use the Solid checkbox, the Arial font generated will automatically have a surface at the top of the text.
In my case, the text I am trying to use (Caracub Roman) works similarly, however, most but not all of the letters generated as a surface or as a solid will generate surfaces where I expect them to.

This now clearly appears to be a Rhino bug, so I'll go pursue this over in the Rhino subforum.

Thanks

svenakela
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
It's probably not a bug in Rhino but a non-closed font.