PDA

View Full Version : profile cut, how to keep cutter from returning to safe zero after every revolution

williamsmotower
03-08-2013, 06:13 PM
i just used a profile cut as an example, there are many operations that cutter returns to safe zero after every pass... facing, profiling, spiral.... what can i do to keep cutting instead of that safe z?

williamsmotower
03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry if my description is vague.

Let's say you're profiling a circle. cutter ramps in... cuts one revolution... Z proceeds to go to the safe Z that's in Madcam... Z then drops down to next Z step depth... cuts one revolution... then all over again.

What's the procedure to keep spiral cutting down until final inputed Z depth?

williamsmotower
03-18-2013, 04:02 AM
I'm doing this procedure un a 2.5d cut.

Does that help with my question?

mactec54
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
williamsmotower

Post the G-Code program, you most likely will have to change the post processor

svenakela
03-18-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't think that's a post issue. When you use facing it will go back to safe height. Profiling will proceed to next level directly without going back to safe height, but if you do pocketing with the Profile command the cutter diameter must be larger than the pocket radius (or larger diameter than the [smallest distance edge to edge] / 2). Otherwise you will get islands. Facing is clearing the entire area within the curve, Profiling is cutting along the curve only.
That's at least how the latest version behaves (just tested it).

mactec54
03-18-2013, 05:35 PM
svenakela

He needs to post his program, I will fix it for him ,then he will no how it should be to run, & not do what it is doing, I think that is why it is called Madcam, because it does post some Mad code

John Coloccia
03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't think that's a post issue. When you use facing it will go back to safe height. Profiling will proceed to next level directly without going back to safe height, but if you do pocketing with the Profile command the cutter diameter must be larger than the pocket radius (or larger diameter than the [smallest distance edge to edge] / 2). Otherwise you will get islands. Facing is clearing the entire area within the curve, Profiling is cutting along the curve only.
That's at least how the latest version behaves (just tested it).

I just tried this on mine, with the latest release and it will retract to safe Z every time. Just make a cylinder, setup a profile path, and watch it in the simulator. It's not the worst thing in the world but that's the behavior. Same on pocketing.

So on profiling at least, if you use a ramp or radiused approach, at will rapid to the beginning of the approach, retracting in Z each time. If you choose 0 for the radius, it will simply plunge. Seems like correct behavior for a radiused lead-in, but I suppose if you wanted to you could be a little more sophisticated with a ramp and calculated the next Z level based on where the last one left you. Anyway, that's what I'm seeing on mine, so the discrepancy is probably in the different settings we're all using.