PDA

View Full Version : Toolpaths that set a finish Z height?

williamsmotower
02-24-2013, 12:39 AM
The roughing toolpath is just that, and does not set a final Z height after cutting.

Are there any other profiles that don't set a finished Z height?

I'm have a problem with the 2.5D profiling. My Z heights seem off.

turmite
02-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Which version of Madcam and do you have a screen shot. The title of your thread and the question inside are opposite if I read them correctly. Do you want to set the z height, nor do you not want to set the the z height? Post something so I can get an idea what you are needing.

Mike

svenakela
02-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Eeh... hold on. You don't use Roughing for 2.5D work. Your depth outcome depends on the settings you have (in the settings dialog). Either you have absolute or relative depth.

Roughing isn't a 2.5D strategy. Read the help file to get the concept of Roughing, Z-level, Planar and Pencil Tracing. You can also go through this PDF (starting at page 7) (http://madcamcnc.com/Tutorials/Pdf%20Tutorials/madCAM%20tutorial%20-%203D%20Basics.pdf) to get the idea, which is the same in any version of the program.

Here are some vid's only about 2.5D work (http://madcamcnc.blogspot.se/search/label/2D).

turmite
02-24-2013, 04:59 PM
svenakela I had just logged back on to say that same thing. Glad you caught it earlier.

Mike

williamsmotower
02-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Sorry for terminology.

Let's say I'm profiling a couple of blind holes to a .5" depth. After cutting one measured .510" the other was .536". It is in incremental mode. Is absolute the preferred method?

I have latest version of 4.3

turmite
02-24-2013, 05:58 PM
I don't know about others, but I draw all my parts in position like I will be cutting them. I typically leave .250 clearance above my part and that is my z zero. I then use absolute on everything. I measure the bottom of the hole and assuming it is .500"deep, from the top surface of the material, the bottom of that hole should be -.750"

I go to pocketing, select the hole, give the z top and bottom parameters in my case on a hole like this it would read z top = -.250" z bottom = -.750" then I move to set the amount of each depth of cut.

If you follow that procedure and you are getting something different in your hole depth, you have something else going on.

Mike