PDA

View Full Version : Issues with most recent madCAM 5 beta

jbarnhardt
02-08-2013, 02:43 PM
(FYI I tried to post this in a new thread, but can't seem to create a new thread on CNCZone at the moment. Sorry for the slightly OT post)

Hi all. I have three issues I've noticed with the newest beta of madCAM and was wondering if it's just me or if others have noticed them as well. They are:

1) My post-processor selection is not saved. I have to re-select it every time I generate g-code.

2) When I enter the simulator, most of the time I am zoomed way, way, way out from my workpiece. It's so small when the simulator first opens that I need to manually zoom in about 15 times before it's big enough to see what's going on. Once I've zoomed in, this is usually good until I exit Rhino, but the next time I start Rhino I have to zoom way in again.

3) Sometimes when I try to select an existing toolpath for recalculation, it only gives me the option to select a small portion of the toolpath, which fails as a valid selection for recalculation. Sometimes this works fine (entire toolpath is selected) and sometimes it doesn't. When it fails, I've tried alternate methods of selecting the toolpath (like right clicking on the relevant layer and selecting from there, or selecting the toolpath before pressing the Recalculate button), but haven't been able to get it to work reliably. This issue was actually present prior to the most recent beta.

I hope this feedback is useful in the ongoing testing and refinement of madCAM 5. Overall I'm really happy with it and it's a big upgrade from v4. Thanks,

-John

svenakela
02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
I created a separate thread for your post.

1. Did you create a default machine with the preferred post processor in settings?

2. I think it might be a graphical driver/graphics driver thingy. Find your graphical driver version, card brand and model, Send that information together with these issues in an e-mail to MadCam directly.

3. Try to hit the beginning of the toolpath when you are opted to select it, like the first Z descend or first straight line.

jbarnhardt
02-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Sven -

Thanks for creating the thread.

1) That did the trick - didn't realize I needed to save the machine config after selecting my post processor. I don't recall doing that in previous versions/betas, but in any case it's working, thanks very much.

2) I will do that. It has always worked fine on this machine previously, and in fact I'm seeing identical behavior on both my desktop and laptop computers (which have very different video cards) but I will send the info to MadCam for assessment.

3) Ah, very interesting - that seems to do the trick.

Thanks as usual for your prompt and very helpful response.

-John

svenakela
02-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Glad to help. :)