PDA

View Full Version : Can NCPlot concatenate toolpaths?

Dan B
01-23-2013, 07:27 AM
I have been asked to find a solution to a problem we are having with concatenated toolpaths for our YCM (Fanuc controller). We are setting up multiple jobs on the table, and using fixture offsets (G54, G55 etc.). No problem there. However, because of the slow tool change time, we would like to run the same cutter on all of the details before doing a tool change. So we post each path separately out of our CAM software, then go to a text editor to cut and paste together. That is where the operators are spending too much time.

Does NCPlot have functionality to make this easier? If not, I will write my own VB program to automate this, but for the price of NCPlot, it's worth asking the question before I start.

Thanks,

Dan

txcncman
01-23-2013, 01:42 PM
I take it you cannot group same tool operations together in your CAM software? Which CAM?

datac
01-23-2013, 08:37 PM
NCPlot is a very nice program. It has a MERGE feature that allows you to simply choose >File > Merge, then select multiple files via normal windows SHift or Ctrl key methods. It will then bring the code from all of the files into one, and allow you to "replot" it visually. I am not sure of the order.... I would assume it displays the new code in the order you chose the files.

They have a demo or trial period I believe. I use it all the time when I need to do edits.

Dan B
01-24-2013, 05:39 AM
I'm just going to have them call up the paths with M98. I have a little VB program for writing start programs for Heidenhain that I've easily altered for Fanuc.

Dan

txcncman
01-24-2013, 06:09 AM
Sounds complicated. But, hey, if it is making you money, go for it.

Dan B
01-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Actually it's easy. The operator just types in the paths he wants to concatenate, hits a button, and the program is ready.

Forgot to answer your question about CAM, sorry. Our main program is WorkNC, but we also produce code from madCAM, and a lot of drilling from Rhino (another VB program of mine). We often need to bring this all together.

Dan