PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Looking for Opinions..

jigman586
01-18-2013, 11:16 AM
I am a newbie to CAM software and want to know if this software is good for beginners.We have been writing our programs at the machine and are looking into some type of CAM software.My company is really new to the CNC game.Starting to get more machinery so thinking CAM may be more productive. How does this rate on ease of use.Would be for 3 axis maching and 2-axis lathe on MAZAK machines. Thanks

Dan B
01-23-2013, 07:09 AM
We have Esprit for our mill/turn. We use WorkNC for all of our other CNC mills. For ease of use I would suggest WorkNC over Esprit. You will save money and be up and running a lot quicker.

Just my opinion.

Dan

underthetire
01-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Esprit is great for 3D work, and multi function machines. So good in fact, it comes with the newer high end Moris. It is not a quick program to learn however, and probably more advanced than you need for simple milling and turning applications.

cbr_speedster
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Esprit is very easy once you learn the basic steps. You could start out with a basic package for milling and turning and when the parts and machines get more complicated Esprit can be upgraded to accomidate the toughest machines.. Im currently programming Swiss Citizen machines using Esprit 2012 and the code output is awesome. It's also used to program our EDM machines... Great software.

quapman
05-18-2013, 09:14 AM
I've used Mastercam for about 25 years and though it has its glitches, I prefer it far above and beyond Esprit. IMO there are just too many steps to create a program using Esprit. Their drawing (CAD) end is extremely weak, too. (You can't even draw a circle without first drawing a point!) I would not recommend Esprit to anyone, especially a novice.

I will say, however, that Esprit has excellent customer service (they HAVE to) and Mastercam pretty much hangs you out on your own.

cbr_speedster
12-09-2013, 03:23 PM
How long did you use Esprit? When MasterCAM gave us a demo they did it on a part that they probably demoed a thousand times before. When I asked them to show me how to start from scratch with my part, tools and machine it took over two hours to program and then the post output crap code. I programmed many machine's with Esprit from 2 axis burners to 13 axis swiss machines with no hand editing. I can model the machine and tool holders for perfect simulation every time. I don't think you gave Esprit a chance just like I didn't give MasterCAM a chance. We tend to stick with what we know.

Vulin
01-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Once you learn the software, 2D programming in Esprit is just as fast (or faster with the development of different technologies) then any other programs. What I like most is its plain and clean. No pop up boxes everytime you begin programming, support is very fast, and multiaxis programming is a breeze. Sure drawing in the program sucks, but thats why we have solidworks.

mmeredith0015
01-11-2014, 07:11 PM
Esprit is a difficult package to learn, and yes it's pretty involved even with simple parts.

That being said, it's potential is limitless. They support hundreds of machine tools, and several machine setups are available right from DP.

I got the CamWizard videos with Esprit and since then I haven't contacted anyone for anything other than new posts. He'll get you up and running quickly.

Like I said it takes a bit to get going, but with what I know in Esprit now, there's no piece of geometry I can't pull from a solid to create tool path.

Good luck!