PDA

View Full Version : How to mirror a tool path in madCAM5

ulexprecision
01-17-2013, 12:34 AM
A while back I saw the video on the madcam blog about mirroring a tool path in madCAM 4.3.
Now in madCAM 5 there is no more a "repair tool path " button to find the tool path coordinates.
What do I do after I mirrored the model with tool path and shifted in the new X0.,Y0. position ?
Regards
Dirk

svenakela
01-17-2013, 04:22 AM
It's a known defect in the 5-beta, it's supposed to connect them automagically.

Dan B
01-17-2013, 05:50 AM
You could just create a separate post and the path could be mirrored there. We create symmetrical details everyday, and have for years, and we've never mirrored the paths any other way. Just remember, that if you want to climb cut in the mirrored path, program a conventional toolpath. Once the mirror code is used, the direction will reverse.

Check the manual from your controller and see if it supports mirror code and what the proper syntax is.

Here are some examples:

For a Fadal it is:

*TOOL_CHANGE*
N"lnbr" T"toolnr"M6 (TOOL CHANGE: "toolname")
N"lnbr" G00X0Y0"fixture_offset"S"speed"M3
N"lnbr" G51.1X0
*END_SECTION*

For a Haas:

*TOOL_CHANGE*
N"lnbr" G0G43H"toolnr""zhome"
N"lnbr" "fixture_offset"G90
N"lnbr" G00X0Y0
N"lnbr" G101X0
*END_SECTION*

For a Heidenhain (5-axis) controller:

*FIRST_MOVE*
"lnbr" L Z1. FMAX M92
"lnbr" L X324.Y0. FMAX M92
"lnbr" "coolant_on"
"lnbr" M12
"lnbr" L Y-595. FMAX M92
"lnbr" CYCL DEF 8.0 MIRROR
"lnbr" CYCL DEF 8.1 X C
"lnbr" L "a" "b" FMAX M126
"lnbr" M128 ;TCPM ON
"lnbr" M3
"lnbr" M23
"lnbr" L "x""y""z" F15000
*END_SECTION*

For a Trak LPM (that doesn't support mirror code):

*SCALE_X*
*SCALE_Y*
*SCALE_Z*

and so on...

Dan

svenakela
01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Check the manual from your controller and see if it supports mirror code and what the proper syntax is.

Here are some examples:

For a Fadal it is:

*TOOL_CHANGE*

An insanely complex way of making a mirrored toolpath for a mold, don't you think?

Dan B
01-18-2013, 05:23 AM
On the contrary. Once your post is set up, all you do is pick it. It's the easiest way to do it.

Dan

svenakela
01-21-2013, 07:47 AM
This is fixed in the latest release by the way.

EDIT:
This isn't really a problem if you have single tool paths. But if you copy/paste a tool path (or mirror) by selecting them in the viewport, the cutting will occur on all objects for each type of tool path. I.e. if you make a Roughing and a Z-level and copy them the roughing will happen on both objects and then the Z-level will be made on both objects.
One nice feature in MadCAM now is that tool paths are stored in layers. Instead of copy/paste a tool path which will "connect" those of the same type you can simply right click on the layer in the Layer dialog and then click Duplicate Layer and Objects, then right click on the new layer and choose Select Sublayer Objects, and then move them to their new location. After this the paths will stay together "per object", each object will be finalized before we jump to next work piece instead of jumping back and forth between the pieces.
Hmm... I might have to make a video on this... :)