PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to MDF as spoilboard

nicubila
01-13-2013, 05:56 PM
I have a very specific application where I always cut same material: an aluminum composite panel, 1.2mm thick, the sheet is always same size 1500*1540mm. I machine the panel at diferent depths - 0.38, 0.45, 0.50, 0.60mm. So far i used a normal grid vacuum with a single vacuum cleaner which at lowest rpm was holding very good the panel. To be mentioned that i did not cut through the panel.
But recent chagned into the way I machine the panel calls for cutting through. I loose a lot of holding down force, and now I have some improvized solutions which are not for long term. What I am looking into is to use a spoilboard as it will not loose some much air as the grid system does.
Also to mention that I need a 0.02-0.03mm precision on Z axis - so foam would not work I think.
An option is to go for MDF that at a minimum thickness (1mm) - it can be probably usable for what I need. But there are a few issues with it:
- not sure if the current vacuum cleaner would be able to do the job - and not sure what system I need
- it could loose MDF's planarity with moisture quite early

What I am looking for is a sort of porous plastic that could do the same job, but has less the drawbacks of the above MDF. Price is not a concern (gold plates panels suggestions are not accepted :) ) as I will keep the same sheet long time without cutting into it.

Thanks
Marius

janplastic
05-04-2013, 11:27 AM
hello,

this is about vacuum thru sintered aluminium

Sinter metal and Metapor chucks (http://www.horst-witte.de/en/products/vacuum/vacuum-clamping-technology/metapor-sinter.php)
greeting

Jan

janplastic
05-04-2013, 11:40 AM
hello again,

You can search on google for porous polyethylene sheet.

its also used for filtering liquids and gasses

I have seen an aplication where they use it for vacuming foil to get a flat surface.

greeting Jan