PDA

View Full Version : Problem Out of memory message

paulcc
01-10-2013, 01:50 PM
When trying to create a new toolpath, I am often getting the message: "Out of memory, see CAM help Basic Geometry" If I restart Rhino/Madcam, it will work for a few toolpath creations and then produce the error again. I have looked in Madcam help and have not yet found a reference to memory issues. Does anyone have a solution to this issue? Is there a Madcam memory size selection that I have overlooked?

thanks!

wdaehn
01-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Got the same message twice today, for no obvious reason. Rhino said in the status bar 150MB memory consumed and still. After closing the application and creating the toolpath again I had no problems either.

I suspect that it is related to cleanups, you created a toolpath, then changed something - no idea what that something might be - and create the toolpath again, then you get that error. I don't think it is related to physical memory or complex toolpath - mine was relatively simple 2.5d.

svenakela
01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Are we talking 32 or 64 bit?
What's your calculation threads setting in the options dialog? Don't set that higher than the number of cores of your CPU. Not sure if that would help but you will not gain anything with a higher value.

wdaehn
01-11-2013, 03:09 AM
I my case it is a default, fresh install of Rhino 64bit and MadCam.

paulcc
01-11-2013, 11:50 AM
My case also fresh install of 12/19/12 Madcam beta and Rhino 5.0 64 bit. The machine has 4GB of physical memory. Calculation thread setting is 2. And yes, my issue also comes after I edit a toolpath or delete it and re-do it, So I think you are right about memory "cleanups" being a likely problem. For grins, I set calculation threads to 1, which has no effect on the out of memory issue. The only reslolution so far is to close Rhino and restert the model. Simply closing and reopening the model will not clear the memory issue.

Also noticed that Planar Finishing is not respecting region constraints and is cutting about a cutter width outside of the curve. Maybe related?? I solved the immediate issue by lowering the top clipping plane to .01" below the surface surrounding the pocket area I was planar finishing.

Dan B
01-11-2013, 02:15 PM
4GB of RAM is minimal for a Win 7 64-bit station. I would think about adding some more. I'm not saying that will fix this issue, I'm just saying...

Dan

paulcc
01-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks for advice. I checked task manager and only 38% of physical memory is used while running Rhino/MAdcam. Without total confidence yet, it seems that the issue is only present when using planar finishing.

svenakela
01-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Regions doesn't fence the cutter (it must be the most misunderstood function). A region border can and will be passed by the cutter if it has to. The cutter will usually change direction when the center of the cutter is at the border, then cutting outside the region. If you really want to fence the cutter within the border, extrude the curve and select the "wall" together with the model and then restrict the height, it's actually the same idea that you used.
I've asked for a fence feature, one happy day I think I'll get it.

paulcc
01-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks for explanation of regions Svenakela, I have a lot to learn! About memory issue, I still have the problem, but only with Planar finishing function. Maybe it is a bug?