PDA

View Full Version : Re Quest for Silence

SPEEDRE
01-05-2013, 10:12 AM
First, laser are you kidding. I can barely grasp CNC Milling. Corrections to first post on this idea. The T.M. motor I have is, 1 1/2h.p. and 5100 rpm., 1.4 amps with a Minarix vdc controller, and a 10k pot. The downside to this arrangement, for me, is the size of the motor itself. It is huge comparatively to other types of motors. See my spindle post in DYI Routers, #10-14. I guess I can't:idea: be satisfied yet!!

awerby
01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Yes, that sounds a lot more reasonable than the 20k rpm motor you were talking about before. A heavy motor will cause some issues, if it's mounted on an axis that has to go up and down. You could power a quill-type spindle with it, that transfers motion on a splined shaft, so that the motor doesn't have to move. You could mount it on a moving Z axis and counterweight it with gas springs. Or you could ditch that motor and use something lighter...

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

SPEEDRE
01-15-2013, 01:49 PM
After staring at my machine for days on end, balance, and adequate support are now the issue. My K2CNC machine is an early edition with unsupported rods through pillow bearing blocks on the X axis and just bearing on rods for the Y axis. These issue prompt me to solve them without buying or spending any substantial amounts to replace them, but to find a DIY solution. I hope soon to have some sketches made up to illustrate this issue. I just can't catch a break here, man!!!

awerby
01-15-2013, 03:48 PM
What makes you think you can solve these problems without spending any money? The reason you have these problems is because the designers were shooting for cheap, not good...

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Al_The_Man
01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
. The T.M. motor I have is, 1 1/2h.p. and 5100 rpm., 1.4 amps with a Minarix vdc controller, and a 10k pot.

More like 14.0amps?
1.4a you would be running around 1Kv!!.
Al.

SPEEDRE
01-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Awerby,you know you're right. To not spend any money is a dream and a wish. And to be honest, I am one who really thinks,"by the the best first" less trouble and wear and tear on the brain. I didn't and usually don't, much to my dismay.