PDA

View Full Version : Surface Grinder Maintenance

dent424
12-09-2012, 03:21 AM
Hello!
I recently was working with the people operating the surface grinders at work and one of the things that they mentioned to me was that they didn't know what kind of maintenance they should be doing. They keep the magnetic chucks scratch free and make sure that they are oiled, but other than that, are there things that they should be doing occasionally? I tried to refer to the manuals for the machines, but they seem not to exist at our facility(!).

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated on what kind of maintenance is necessary and how often it should be done.

Thanks

RICHARD ZASTROW
12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
If they have a coolant system they require cleaning swarf from the reservoirs. Also, the mist will end up coating the motors etc. That requires occasional cleaning.

The coolant itself requires maintenance. If water based, check for correct concentration and check occasionally for bacteria growth. Helps to prevent skin infections on operators.

I'm sure there is a periodic lubrication requirement. If you do not have the maintenance manuals, try to have them replaced from the machine builder(s).

Dick Z