PDA

View Full Version : My Router (24x60 cut area)

planescott
01-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi, Finally started on my router a couple of weeks ago. Here are some pictures. I have to say I am alot farther than the drawings I started with but still alot more to do.

Scott

IM000801.JPG IM000806.JPG IM000802.JPG

WilliamD
01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Looks pretty nice! That should be a fairly ridgid bed setup. What kind of rails are you using? They look like the pillow block kind, but can't tell. Getting that much done in a couple weeks must be a good feeling. I'm almost more jealous of how much shop space it looks like you have though! :)

planescott
01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Thank you, All the rails are THK

whirlybomber
01-27-2006, 07:56 PM
wow, that looks nice!

just for my info, is the 24x60 the footprint of the router, or the cut area?

planescott
01-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks whirlybomber, The table itself is 38"x72". It will cut approx. 24"x60".
Just can't wait to get it finished.

Jason Marsha
01-28-2006, 07:46 AM
That's great work planescott and don't forget to keep the pics coming.

Jason

planescott
01-29-2006, 02:55 AM
Here are some pics of my rack & pinion design. I am planning on using the GT2 5mm ( 9mm belt width) series unless anybody has a better suggestion.

Would like to here from people who have used these. IM000807.JPG IM000809.JPG

planescott
02-05-2006, 07:04 AM
I have been working on my router for the past week and making good progress. I decided to go with the 15mm wide belts from sdp/si (very nice stuff, highly recommended) maybe overkill but thats ok. Here are some pics of my progress.IM000810.JPG IM000811.JPG IM000812.JPG IM000816.JPG

faithblinded
02-05-2006, 02:26 PM
I decided to go with the 15mm wide belts from sdp/si (very nice stuff, highly recommended) maybe overkill but thats ok.

Really Nice Work!!!

I'm just a lurker, but from what I've seen here, overbuilding the drive system usually ends up just giving better feed rates with less whipping. And besides, with all that aluminum, the gears look just chunky enough for the machine.

Perhaps a bit sadistic, but for some reason it occured to me that your router would make an excellent modern day technological torture device. Imagine being strapped to the table with the router screaming at you to take 1/16" off your nose. YIKES!!

HaHa nice work! Can't wait to see it finished!

High Seas
02-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Very nice work! I mean VERY NICE! Have a quick question - where did you source the gears I see on the Z axis? Whats their OD and teeth count? I'm looking for some and have been all over the web and can't find what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.
:cheers: Jim
BTW - I'll add - those look like about the size I'm after - looking for 4 inch OD and a bore of 1 inch. Metal/acetal etc. SDP/SI seems to run lots smaller than what I was looking for - thanks

planescott
02-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi Jim, The gears are from SDP/SI. They are 70t (4.341od) and 28t(1.875od) alum. 1/2"Bore GT2 series. Two layers which gives me a total of 5:1 reduction for my rack and pinion on my y axis. I built one for the x axis also. I do highly recommend their product the belts fit very well and can't see where their would be any backlash. I have a 5tpi ballscrew for my z axis. I will have some more pics in a couple of days with the rack mounted and the spur gear(MCMASTER CARR 12pitch rack), also very nice product). I am building the machine to be a real workhorse, hopefully it will be. Thanks for giving my machine the "VERY NICE" compliment it really keeps me going. IM000809.JPG IM000815.JPG

planescott
02-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Well I got the rack mounted and finished up a few other odds and ends. Also ordered BOBCAD/CAM v20 and the BOBART. Can't wait to get it. Here are a couple of pics they are not that great I took them with my phone.

rack1.jpg rack2.jpg (chair)

planescott
02-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Almost have x axis rack/pinion done. I am going to make a swing arm with a wheel that rides on the top side of the rack above the gear with a spring to put pressure on the gear so I dont have any play in it.

IM000823.JPG IM000819.JPG IM000817.JPG IM000821.JPG :wee:

Paraprop
03-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Planescott,

keep us updated with your latest progress.

I like your construction. I am planning since more than a year to do a similar setup to yours in order to carve wooden propellers

Paraprop

planescott
03-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks Paraprop, I will be posting pics in a week or so with explanations of minor modifications I had to make. The corners of the gantry were a little weak but they are solid now. I am waiting till it is painted so it will look much more interesting. Right now I am working on the control box and should be running by the weekend. No router on it but it will be good to see this move almost 2 months and alot of $$$$ since I started building. :cheers:

Paraprop
03-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Have you any pans in the future for a 4th rotating axis wor the workpiece ?

planescott
03-02-2006, 09:11 PM
I really don't have any plans for a 4th axis right now. If I did I would only be able to cut about 2.5" dia. maybe a little bigger. It would be kind of tight under my gantry , but could be done I think. Who knows what the future will bring.

planescott
03-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Well here I am almost at the end of my cnc project. Its been a rough 2 months but after running it today I have to say I am very pleased with the way it was running. Have to get my top on it, my limit switches on and I will be making some chips.

The machine seems to perform very well and is very sturdy. Ran it 15 min. at a time at 515ipm and motors didn't even get warm, I am hoping that is good performance.

Here are some pics to get you all up to date. I have been to busy to log the majority of the project and it always looked about the same anyway until I got it painted.

Scott
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

jmytyk
03-25-2006, 01:54 AM
Very nice! I really like the multi-stage gear reduction. As a design element its very intersting...

Could I trouble you for some motor spec's? They look very similar to mine, just curious...

planescott
03-25-2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks Jmytky,

The gear boxes for x & y axis had to be done they are both 5:1 reduction. I used gt2 series from sdp/si. The only problem I had was the shafts for all the gears had to be drilled and tapped. The set screw goes right into the shafts and cannot turn at all. If I could drill a hole in the motor shafts I would, but so far they have not slipped.

I am using 640oz/in x&y and 270 on z axis. They are from homeshopcnc. Also I am using gecko 202's. They seem to be very nice to.

Jason Marsha
03-26-2006, 05:22 PM
That's good work Scott, congrats on your completion.

How does the machine sound in terms of the the gear mesh moving at 515ipm? I am curious because I would like to build a large router 8' by 4' and I suspect I will have to eventually use the gear track instead of a ball screw.

Also are there any backlash issues?

Jason

planescott
03-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks Jason,

The gear racks are very quiet. Really runs very smooth which is what I wanted.

I got mine from McMaster-Carr. The longest they have is 6'. I've heard that you can butt them together but that might be tougher than it sounds.

I only ran it friday. Hurt my back when I moved it. But I ran a file, it was just a rectangle to see how accurate it was. It looked like it ended up right where it started but will do more tests to really see.

Good luck on your machine.

Scott

planescott
05-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Hello everyone, Well I changed my x&y axis over to ball screws. I was not happy with the rack and pinion design I had. Kept having nightmares of things going wrong with it down the road. The ballscrew setup is such a simple design and not many parts to it. Should have went this route in the first place. Live and learn I guess.

Hopefully in a week or two I may a have video of it running but for now I have some pictures.

ballendo
05-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks Jason,
I got mine from McMaster-Carr. The longest they have is 6'. I've heard that you can butt them together but that might be tougher than it sounds.

Hello,

Nice machine.

You can pretty easily butt sections of rack together as long as you use a third piece to set the alignment between the two you are joining. Without the third piece, it's a nightmare. With it, it's a dream<G>

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

planescott
06-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Here are some pics of my machine. Basically is all done except for the dust skirt for the router.

After switching it over to the ball screws it is working very well and couldn't ask for anything more of it.

The CNCZONE ROCKS! Y'all

Here are some pics of my first project to. :cheers:

planescott
08-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Here are some pics of a job I did for my apartment complex where I live and some other things I did messing around with veneer inlays.