PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Replacement

Bjwhit
12-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Hello I have a Bavelloni Alpa 450 N I use for fabricating glass. The water manifold went bad about 8 months ago and I have been waiting for the spindle to go next. Well it did this week, it still spins but sounds really loud. My question is can I run the machine like this? Also have any of you changed out spindles? Is this something I can do myself or do I need help?

RICHARD ZASTROW
12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Do you intend to change out an identical unit? If so, if it doesn't require special tools or knowledge, most handy people should be able to do it.

If you are a knowledgeable machinist/assembler you MIGHT be able to do it yourself. Most commercial high speed, high quality spindles are assembled in near clean room conditions. One little piece of grit getting into a high speed spindle bearing can destroy the bearing. If you're not familiar with this kind of work I'd recommend leaving this to someone who is.

Dick Z

Bjwhit
12-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Thank you, I have been in touch with some techs who are certified on this machine. I am planning on take apart the spindle and replacing the parts as I go. I will have some help with a machinist, hopefully we get it all right