PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Driver HELP

Dude22
11-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi,

I recently purchased the following 3 axis CNC driver:

CNC 3 Axis Controller TB6560 Stepper Motor Driver Board 3A TB6560 Fr Mach3 KCAM4 | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CNC-3-Axis-Controller-TB6560-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-3A-TB6560-Fr-Mach3-KCAM4-/170925398056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cbf29828&_uhb=1#ht_5133wt_1186)

It works GREAT only 1 axis does not work... The Y axis. I am talking to the company and am hopefully getting a new driver. The only problem is that could take months and shipping last time took 4 weeks!!! In the mean time I am looking at getting a 1 axis driver for temporary use. The board has a 4th axis expansion port with 5 outputs: 5v, CK, CW, EN and GND Will these outputs work with this board:

CNC Router 1 Axis 3.5A TB6560 Stepper Stepping Motor Driver Controller Board | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Router-1-Axis-3-5A-TB6560-Stepper-Stepping-Motor-Driver-Controller-Board-/300792283585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46089e01c1)

I am on a tight time line so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

doorknob
11-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi,

I recently purchased the following 3 axis CNC driver:

CNC 3 Axis Controller TB6560 Stepper Motor Driver Board 3A TB6560 Fr Mach3 KCAM4 | eBay (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CNC-3-Axis-Controller-TB6560-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Board-3A-TB6560-Fr-Mach3-KCAM4-/170925398056?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cbf29828&_uhb=1#ht_5133wt_1186)

It works GREAT only 1 axis does not work... The Y axis. I am talking to the company and am hopefully getting a new driver. The only problem is that could take months and shipping last time took 4 weeks!!! In the mean time I am looking at getting a 1 axis driver for temporary use. The board has a 4th axis expansion port with 5 outputs: 5v, CK, CW, EN and GND Will these outputs work with this board:

CNC Router 1 Axis 3.5A TB6560 Stepper Stepping Motor Driver Controller Board | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Router-1-Axis-3-5A-TB6560-Stepper-Stepping-Motor-Driver-Controller-Board-/300792283585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46089e01c1)

I am on a tight time line so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

I do not have direct experience with either of those two boards, nor do I have detailed documentation for either, so this is based on 'guesswork'.

The bottom line is that I think that the answer is 'yes', but some tinkering might be needed to get it to work.

The expansion signals that you mentioned probably mean the following:

5v (5 volt DC power)

CK (step pulse signal)

CW (direction signal)

EN (enable)

GND (power supply and signal ground)

My best guess is that yes, you will be able to run that 1 axis board off of the 4th axis expansion signals, but will need to pay attention to a few things:

1 - The 1-axis board has onboard optoisolators for the input signals. It is not clear to me whether or not the 4th axis expansion signals (for CK, CW and EN) from the big board also pass through onboard optoisolators. It is probably not a good idea to drive one optoisolator from the output of another optoisolator (because it might degrade the signal, and it's also possible that you might end up with an unexpected polarity inversion, depending on the specific way that each opto is hooked up). So if both use optoisolators, you may want to consider bypassing the opto on one board or the other. But you could simply try it and see if it will work.

2 - You would need to pay attention to the polarity of the signals coming from the expansion terminals to make sure that you wire up the 1 axis board properly, and also would need to verify that the signals coming from the expansion terminals are capable of sourcing or sinking enough current to meet the requirements of the 1 axis board's input. For example, the enable signal of one board might need to be 'high', while the enable signal of the other board might need to be 'low'. If there's a problem with polarity inversion, you can probably fix it by changing the Mach3 signal definitions for that axis in the ports and pins menu.

To figure those things out would require some familiarity with electronics, and might require creating partial schematic diagrams of the circuitry on both boards, as well as some probing with a multimeter or an oscilloscope. If you are not comfortable with that level of electronics, maybe you can find a friend who is and who could help you with it.

Dude22
11-30-2012, 05:04 PM
I could also direct wire the driver to the parallel port, would that be another option if it does not work on the expansion port?

Dude22
11-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Another thing I should mention is the 1 axis boards inputs are: FN- EN+ CW- CLK- CLK+

So how would those be wired to the outputs of the board or if applicable the parallel cable.

doorknob
11-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Each of the inputs to that 1-axis board goes to an optoisolator input. The signals with a + in the signal name go to the LED anode of an optoisolator input, while the signals with a - in the name go to the LED cathode of the optoisolator input.

There are two different ways to wire up those inputs (some of the Chinese stepper driver manufacturers call them the 'yin' and 'yang' hookups). See this thread for an explanation:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/stepper_motors_drives/164988-stepper_driver_-yin_yang_connection.html

And see this wiring diagram from that thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=168986&d=1350082003

The signal names in that diagram probably correspond to your signal names as follows:

PLS+ = CLK+
PLS- = CLK-

DIR+ = CW+
DIR- = CW-

ENA+ = EN+
ENA- = EN-

doorknob
11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
I could also direct wire the driver to the parallel port, would that be another option if it does not work on the expansion port?

Yes.

Dude22
11-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks so much for the help, I just bought it! I will let you know how it works!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: