PDA

View Full Version : 5-Axis Contouring

GregCo3000
11-26-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm trying to cut some contours (rounded surfaces) with the 5-axis head on my SCM Record and Accord. I'm trying to avoid using a ball end mill so that I don't have to have it make a million passes. The problem I'm having is that every flat cutter I can get my hands on has a slight pitch at the bottom which causes some small peaks-and-valleys along the passes. Does anybody know of any center-cutting downshear bits that have a nice true flat bottom? Currently using tooling from Onsrund and Amana.

Thanks

marksaus
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Hi,

I don't know how it works in the States, but here in Spain, the company that sharpens my tools and bits can also make any kind of tool I require. What you need would be absolutely straightforward for them to make, and they are not expensive. I'm sure you can find something equivalent over there. I mean, I could put you in touch with my guy, but it seems ridiculous, hehe. About 40% of my tools are custom made to a certain degree. He can also get commercial bits and tools and customize them to my requirements.

I get the feeling that in the US you guys are more used to buying what commercial brands have on offer, and over here we tend to order custom tooling more, and most commercial brands are virtually unknown!

ger21
04-08-2013, 06:34 PM
What he said. whoever sharpens your tools can put a flat bottom on a new tool for about $5