PDA

View Full Version : connecting two computers together

helpmeout
11-16-2012, 11:03 AM
I have a laptop which is windows, that Im doing my drawing,and converting them to the .NC file or g-code that linux EMC2 uses. I want to connect the two together with a cross-over either-net cable to share files with. Has any one done this. It would not be so hard,but one is windows and one is linux Ubuntu.

txcncman
11-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Easiest way is set them up on a private ethernet network. If you don't want to get a router, it should possible to use crossover cable to run from the ethernet port on one computer directly to the ethernet port of the other computer. Search for computer networking online.

Al_The_Man
11-16-2012, 11:31 AM
There is also a special USB to USB cable, has a firmware chip embedded in one of the backshells, just load the drivers and away you go.
Al.

xCybe
11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Here ya go. :)

How to Set Up Ubuntu With a Crossover Cable | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_7193141_set-up-ubuntu-crossover-cable.html)

I'm with txcncman though - plug 'em both into a router and set up a file-share instead.

HOWTO: Easy, simple GUI setup of smb file server - Ubuntu Forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1685718)

BAMCNC.COM
11-16-2012, 08:28 PM
I use dropbox for this reason.

helpmeout
11-16-2012, 10:01 PM
If dropbox is an area on the internet where you upload files and down load them for storage that will not work for me,cause i dont always have acess to the internet.but if you have two computers side by side why not teather them together.(that is if I can get this figgered out)sounds simple enough to me.I am right now working on it.

ecurb5
11-16-2012, 10:06 PM
I agree, the easiest thing to do is a ethernet box. I've seen a few at Goodwill for $5. Would be perfect for your situation.

helpmeout
11-16-2012, 10:23 PM
I was just in a thrift Goodwill) a few days before I decided to do this and your right is was about 5.00 dollars or less. im always digging in there bins looking for ethernet cables.cheaper than getting them at Radio shack (THey never have any thing for a hobbiest any more every time i go there I say ill never go back.and there switches are junk and too high.I have used door switches from junk washers and driers.the door switches are tough.makes good limit switches.Well back to the Goodwill.Some times fleamkts have things like that.