PDA

View Full Version : For about $2000 what are different CNC kit options?

armanm
11-09-2012, 05:15 AM
I want to cut 3 to 10mm composite sheets like carbon fiber, fiber glass and G10. If possible cutting aluminium would be fantastic too. An A3 size working space would be deal but can settle for A4 size too if it's the right thing.

It seems the Fireball X90 (http://probotix.com/FireBall_X90_desktop_cnc_router/) or the GoCNC (http://gocnc.de/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=115&osCsid=eadbccc58a36e76dd6b122b1c5ed62cd) are good options. I also have seen the Zen Toolworks too but I don't like how the gantry is stationary.

What are some other budget CNC kits that I can buy?

victorofga
11-09-2012, 06:39 AM
try ebay.. i did not buy from these sellers.. but i purchased one 4feetx6feet machine.. and works well..
under 2000 you dont have to work with customs.. you get to your door..
about price these all have spindle itself about 400 at least with inverter... the 3-4 axis control also at least 4-500... so i think they are good deal..
listening all day a regular router at least annoying..

CNC 6040 Router ENGRAVER Drilling Milling Device M | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-6040-ROUTER-ENGRAVER-DRILLING-MILLING-DEVICE-m-/260824424521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cba58e049)

CNC Router 6040 220V 110V Drilling Milling Mahcine | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Router-6040-220V-110V-DRILLING-MILLING-mahcine-/220833978196?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336abb1754)

4Axis CNC Router 6040 220V 110V Drilling Milling Engraving Mahcine | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4axis-CNC-Router-6040-220V-110V-DRILLING-MILLING-engraving-mahcine-/220946046100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3371691c94)

victorofga
11-09-2012, 06:43 AM
if you prefer american seller, then try kelinginc... he has a machine also for this size
he also has different spindles..

armanm
11-09-2012, 06:52 AM
try ebay.. i did not buy from these sellers.. but i purchased one 4feetx6feet machine.. and works well..
under 2000 you dont have to work with customs.. you get to your door..
about price these all have spindle itself about 400 at least with inverter... the 3-4 axis control also at least 4-500... so i think they are good deal..
listening all day a regular router at least annoying..

So you think they are good? I just wasn't sure what they are like and somewhat assumed they are worse than the Fireball X90 and the others. Am I mistaken?

Btw I'm in Australia and shipping is ridiculously expensive!

victorofga
11-09-2012, 08:29 AM
we can not make statement which one better..

however we can look at for what they built of..

and based on that migth make our decision.. when you say A product better than B product means you tested both.. is it true?

what i purchased, and those i posted, they have ballscrews, some chinese using hiwin rails, others using the mounted round rails.. both of them works well..

check what others using in their machines, and make your decision.. but your decision can not be a statement about quality..

the spindle doesnt require any explanation.. anyone who works with router they knows what does mean listening 8-12 hour long a noisy regular router..

also many company all around the world, including usa selling chinese routers.. rebranded.. they giving a year warranty on..

i also prefer us manufacturing better.. however not always can afford..
for the question, under 2000 they can be answer..

to usa many of ships free.. migthbe to australia too.. just check shipping..

vtx1029
11-09-2012, 10:52 AM
If your into building your own look at microcarve's BBX I believe its a 12x12x4 machining envelope and could easily be built in that price range. FYI he also designed the fireball. Check out his forum here Microcarve Forum (http://www.microcarve.com/forum/) or his super long thread here.

harryn
11-09-2012, 11:44 AM
IMHO, those are materials that are best cut submerged in water, or at least with water flowing over them to control dust. It isn't a matter of just dust management, the dust esp. from carbon fiber cutting is pretty nasty.

Fixed gantry / moving tables are larger than a moving gantry style, but often cheaper to build, and your budget is tight.

Just watch out to make sure you get "everything" for your budget, not just the main parts.

Your budget is actually more of a "used system in the US" budget. There are some other DIYrs in AUS with routers. Perhaps consider to buy time on theirs, or find a partner to build up a system with. Shipping and payment methods in AUS can easily eat up 1/2 the budget.

Perhaps find a used manual mill and convert it to cnc. In the US, those are pretty common to find on craigslist, not sure if you use that there or not.

aarggh
11-10-2012, 06:00 AM
I think you'd be hard pressed to buy or build a machine as rugged or powerful for anywhere the cost of the 6040's on Ebay. You would need to factor in a G540 as the supplied controllers are crap, but you get a solid aluminium machine with a very efficient spindle and VFD.

Generally they are around $1600-$1850 inc shipping.

cheers,
Ian

jm82792
11-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Microcarve machines are high quality, and will take a beating.
Dust doesn't effect their bushings. Speed, accuracy, and rigidity are great.
$2000 will get you a nice setup for a machine of that size, I know nothing(not much) about larger machines, and carbon fiber however :)

How good are those 6040's (CNC router parts and the ebay ones) by the way?
I'm having some sign requests, and I'd love to know what to get for an eventually larger machine.
Just curious....

aarggh
11-11-2012, 02:14 AM
Microcarve machines are high quality, and will take a beating.
Dust doesn't effect their bushings. Speed, accuracy, and rigidity are great.
$2000 will get you a nice setup for a machine of that size, I know nothing(not much) about larger machines, and carbon fiber however :)

How good are those 6040's (CNC router parts and the ebay ones) by the way?
I'm having some sign requests, and I'd love to know what to get for an eventually larger machine.
Just curious....

Personally, for general cnc work, I'd consider the 6040's as an entry level machine (as you can be sure to want bigger and better once you start down the $cnc path), but don't take that to mean they aren't built well or aren't reliable, far from it. They are Chinese so you can expect to need to check the flatness and maybe use a shim here or there to get very high precision resolution, but for any general work they are usually great out of the box.

As has been mentioned in many, many threads however, the TB6560 based controllers supplied as standard with almost all the Chinese small import machines, really are garbage, but whack on a G540 and they absolutely rock! Instead of ACME or trapezoidal (yuck!) threads, they have proper ballscrews and nuts, and instead of skate bearings and steel angle, they have proper linear rails and bearing assemblies. Another thing to factor in is that they all come with a beaut (usually 1.5kw) spindle and VFD, and once you've used one of these, you'll never want to use a wood router in a smallish cnc again. Usually you get a box of 20 or so carbide cutter/engravers, and these do last a very, very long time as I can attest to. So long as you don't plunge them into aluminium as I do occasionally that is!

In OZ I certainly couldn't source the raw materials, and make a comparable machine for anywhere near the sum cost of the machine shipped.

I would consider them to easily be light industrial strength and highly reliable. Probably the only part you would ever have trouble with would be the spindle bearings or VFD through a lot of use. Although mine have done a tremendous amount of work, and no hassles yet!

cheers,
Ian

dodger889
11-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Here is something that you could think about. You could start with one of Chinese table and electronics. Then upgrade to your own controls later when you have more money or recover the money you spent. Also your shipping charges should be less into your country.

jm82792
11-11-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm incredibly happy with the microcarve (of course I'd always like to upgrade several things) to the point if things work out I'll be buying another one. The encouragement sinks in when you are able to sell something that's actually profitable. I might just see what happens with smaller machines and until I have several people asking for signs then go from there. Thanks aarggh for the input :)