PDA

View Full Version : Need help wiring USB board to VFD

static86
11-05-2012, 06:22 PM
So far I have everything else wired up and working on the USB board and Mach3. I finally got the spindle and VFD wired up this past weekend and it works great.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to wire up the VFD and the USB controller board to control the spindle from Mach 3. The "instructions" are not very clear on how this is done and I have been searching all over for a better answer.

It is a Hatichi WJ200 VFD and the Xulfieng USB controller card.

Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks

mecosv
11-06-2012, 03:09 PM
First of all, check that the driver is stopped and unloaded.

1. Placing a resistor in the driver 1K-1/4W between points H and O.
2. Take the PWM signal Xulifeng card and connect to O Driver.
3. In Driver, invert logical source wiring. That is, the connection between PLC and L, remove it. Place a connection between PLC and P24. By this logic we input to GND.
4. Take line L (driver) and take it to GND (Xulifeng).
5. Draw a line card Xulifeng, outputs, pin 1 to pin 1 driver.
6. In Mach3 spindle control, command to enable the PWM output.
Using a value of PWM-looking stabilize Hz spindle speed (200 or more).
7. In Mach3, output motors, spindle enable, active low.
8. In output, Output # 1, Pin 1, active low.

Remember settings defined in the drive:
- Acceleration and coasting.
- Control by terminal block.
- Frequency Control for 0-10V voltage.
- Maximum frequency (which is the data of your spindle).

Upgrade Mach3 in:

Spindle Pulley: Pulley Set to 1 to the rated engine RPM to maximum frequency.

With this you should run

static86
11-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Here is how the VFD came when it was ordered, so step 3 is already done.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540/edringerj/vfd.jpg

For step 4, the wire run from the USB card GND to the VFD/Driver point L. Which L point is used, top or bottom row on the VFD?

Then in step 5, I'm guessing you mean to take another wire run from pin 1 output side on the xulfieng to pin 1 on the VFD, and what does this wire do?

On step 6, I would assume the Hz matches the spindle, which this one is 300

Thanks for your help so far.

mecosv
11-11-2012, 09:51 PM
1. We must take L which is next to the terminal PLC. This reference line, L-GND of the drive is connected to GND Xulifeng beside the PWM signal.
2. That is correct. The signal coming from the DRIVE, L-GND, enters into GND XULIFENG card, is returned by the Xulifeng-port 1, to drive-port 1. This will tell the drive to start or stop, in a specific direction (forward or reverse), and is completely independent of the PWM signal that controls the speed.

3. The PWM signal is a 0-10V signal and controls the speed, but this signal has an associated frequency, and this often gives stability to the spindle speed. Remember to use the 1K resistor.

For your case, if the G code defines a 9.000rpm spindle speed, which corresponds to 150Hz in the Drive, Mach3 will be sent 5V PWM signal to drive (half the range of 0-10V). Now, if you notice that the spindle speed is not constant, change the parameter of the PWM frequency. To start, you can use a low value to verify the stability of spindle speed. For my case I use 4000. Now keep in mind that the maximum working frequency, you have to set the configuration parameters of the drive, which for your case is 300Hz. IF you set it that bad, you can burn the spindle or drive.

In Mach3, to match the value of your spindle RPM and the drive (to be 18.000RPM-300Hz), you must define mach3 spindle pulley as 1, with the minimum speed of 0 and a maximum of 18,000. This is important because it is linked with G codes, on and off the spindle, so as to vary the speed from the programs or mach3.

static86
11-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Awesome, Thank you so much.

static86
11-19-2012, 02:25 PM
I was finally able to get this wired up like you have said. However I still cannot get the spindle to turn on and off with mach3.

Is there a setting on the VFD that needs to be configured to tell it to accept the incoming signal from the board?

Or am I missing something else?

BanduraMaker
11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Yes there is. If I recall you have the WJ200 yes? The manual is here: http://www.hitachi-america.us/supportingdocs/forbus/inverters/Support/NT3251X.pdf

Look on page 50. Set A002 to 01 and make sure you've got a connection on the board and boom.

static86
11-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Yea, it's the wj200

I forgot all about that setting, we had it set to the keypad for testing and didn't think to switch it back.

Thanks Andy

-Jakob

gene8522
10-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Right now I'm using the Huanyang VFD to control the spindle on my diy CNC. I am interested in up grading to the Hitachi WJ200-22SF drive. I see you used the Xulfieng USB controller card to interface to Mach3. Where can I find Xulfieng USB controller card?
Thanks for the help.
Gene