PDA

View Full Version : Is it done yet???

doesitfloat
01-11-2006, 06:04 PM
This is my first cnc machine. As with others I have been reading other threads to get the jist of what I want to build. The main products I want to machine are boat hull sections and foil cores. I post that because it affects how accurate I need the machine to be. My estimate is plus minus 50/1000. I understand that is not a tall order for a homebuilt machine. Everything I make will be sanded and surfaced or covered with FRP material. Most of the shapes are smooth flowing curves.( Boat hulls). Out of structural foam or cedar strips.

I am setting a budget of $700 and time to build of 6 weeks. Both goals are important and I realize to finish quickly I will pay more for components. I want to get my 1st machine up and working quickly then see if it is accurate enough to make the parts I want If not I will up grade to make it more accurate. Working area needs to be 24" x24"x 4". Later I might want to make a long rectangular work area like 10'x 24"x 8" but that is later.

To get things rolling I bought plans from one of the many who offer them on this site. The plans call for a MDF cabinet. I know this isn't what I want for the long term but to get it working seems like a good inexpensive way to start. Same with the tube and roller blade bearings. The whole set up might well be accurate enough for me.

The next purchase is going to be the stepper motors and controller. I am looking at the stepperworld package that has 3 stepper motors and controller. for $349 The motors are rated at 190 oz torque. The plans say anything from 150 to 300 oz.

I will be posting pics as I go hope to have this done soon. I know it is not as rugged as the other router tables on this site but I am only machining foam and lightweight wood.

Cheers

ger21
01-11-2006, 07:09 PM
I am looking at the stepperworld package that has 3 stepper motors and controller. for $349 The motors are rated at 190 oz torque. The plans say anything from 150 to 300 oz.
Either the Xylotex or HobbyCNC will usually give at least double the performance of the stepperworld drive. They're much more efficient, as well, needing as little as 20% of the current that the stepperworld requires.

doesitfloat
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
I just ordered 270 oz. motors and Gecko drives from homeshopcnc. Wow that took up a good chunk of my $700 budget. Also spent time looking at the 80/20 surplus site. That aluminum looks way better than the mdf board. But the Mdf is sitting in the garage so it looks like the aluminum frame will have to be an upgrade later.

doesitfloat
01-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Z axis is done. The Y gantry is next. The z axix slides smoothly on the elecrical conduit and rollerblade 608 bearings. I'm pretty happy with it.

On the software side my boss at work knows of my project and had the CAM module of Unigraphics NX installed on my machine. the gave me what looks like 40 hours of training that I can do. Started working on it today during lunch. Wow this is good stuff it generates the g code has a verification function where it animates the whole milling process. Man is there a lot to learn.

Well I have a way to generate the g code. Next I will need need something to run the g code on my laptop at home where the router table is.

Still waiting for the stepper motors and Gecko drives.