PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Feed Rates

Jcadwell
08-31-2003, 12:33 AM
Anybody have any idea what typical feed rates for 6061 Aluminum are? What depth of cut will the taig support? Can someone give me a typical "Aluminum Removal" recipe for rough cutting blocks? I bought the 26th edition of the Machinery Handbook, so I can do the math, but what does the machine, and a given tooling size usually support? Thanks.

steele
09-03-2003, 10:38 AM
I need more info. on what you're making and on what kind of machine. I'm afraid I don't know what "taig" means. First off, don't worry too much about tool wear. With lots of coolant or a light cut, I think nothing of running a HSS cutter at 1200 sfm. If slotting, don't go deeper/pass than the diameter of the end mill. I prefer to go half to 2/3rds end mill diameter. On an 1/8" end mill I'd go about .001 inch per rev. to start and build up to about .004 or .006/rev after reaching a comfort level. A 1/2" end mill I'd start about .004 "/rev and build from there. Use 3 flute end mills first, 2 flute end mill second, 1 flute router bit third, and 4 flute or more only when you're desperate or doing a very light cut. On a face mill start with really high revs. and slow feed and then drop off the rpms and increase the feedrate until you've reached your comfort level between chatter, removal rate and surface finish.

Klox
09-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Sorry don't know much!!! If it was about feed rates on wire eroders i would be glad to help!

Klox

Jcadwell
09-03-2003, 02:36 PM
The taig is a mini mill. www.taigtools.com

I'm making mostly model helicopter parts.

The biggest project I'm working on right now is making helicopter side frames out of flat aluminum sheet that is about .080 thick. I also plan on trying G10 (Printed Circuit Board Fiberglass material).

I'll be primarily using 1/4" 2 flute end mills of HSS, mostly because that is what I have, but I could certainly buy 3 flutes it if would help.

I appreciate the starting points. I don't want to guess at the feed rates and immediatley break end mills...