View Full Version : New Machine Build

06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I've started the process of building my 1st CNC machine. I've decided to go with Steves design at automatedwoodworks. I've ordered all the steel for the frame, and it should be cut and ready for pickup in a day or 2. The biggest obstacle I found was the cost for linear rails so I decided to go with the linear carriage system found at Router Parts and will be mounting 3" rolled steel for the bearings to run on.

I will post pictures as the build progresses

06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
That's great! Welcome to the world of DIY CNC!

If I may make a few suggestions:
To start I strongly suggest looking at the Rep-Rap Wiki, it will save you some time.
The wiki explains how to build a 3 Axis milling machine software and all, it also provides the information needed to build a plastic deposition head, so you print in plastic.
Again you can use anything you like as a spindle so cutting material with one of these machines is very possible.
Also for bearings given this is a DIY project stick with the ULN bearing, using rail will run you into the high hundreds for a small 24" machine. If you use four bearings per axis you should be good.
As for the "Y" Axis you should try to use two screws with that design, the RepRap uses 2 screws for the "Z" axis.

If you need help just ask, I will be happy to provide you with some direction.

What is a cnc , what is cnc 3D Printer rapid prototyping (http://www.whatisacnc.com)

06-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Got the metal for the base today. Gonna lay it all out and start the weld process. Will post some pics of this process later.

06-16-2012, 08:48 PM
First Pic is start of project (Notice the red item this is a 90 degree magnet)
Second is of one complete side
Third is the start of the table area
Fourth is frame almost complete

06-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Well I've got the rails attached and I'm plugging away at getting this built. I'm a little discouraged at the fact that Steve @ Automated Woodworks doesn't respond to any e-mails nor have I ever been approved for his Google group after I purchased his plans and submitted for joining the group. The plans although are very detailed in drawings, doesn't contain any real instructions on how assembly went. The parts list is fairly good, but some of the items don't list enough information so you can order it from an alternative location. Some items on the list are backordered for weeks and in one case months.

All in all it will be a fine machine, but the build process could be made alot easier with just a little more info and much better support.