PDA

View Full Version : Would guide rails make it easier to build?

taiden
05-31-2012, 04:33 PM
There are a good amount of guide rails with 4 carts on them scattered all over ebay. I think I can get 6 feet of IKO/THK rail with four carts for about $200 in decent shape.

It seems to me that this would simplify the build significantly. You could make four 15" long rails and use two on the Y or one on the Y and shorten the remaining bit for a Z.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this approach.

I need a small CNC router for my business and the Momus fits all my requirements, but I need to start with something turnkey so I'll probaby begin with a Zen Toolworks.

Thanks,
Luke

mlmcquiggjr
06-07-2012, 01:59 PM
I put together a modified Rockliff CNC with 3/4 inch supported rails driven with 10tpi acme lead screws with dumpster anti backlash nuts. The bearings have a bunch of ball bearings that roll in a recirculating fashion. Upon reverse motion a bit of binding can be felt. The roller bearings in my Momus on the steel rails do not have that binding on reverse motion. I could only get about 20 inches per out of the Rockliff, but have over 200 inches per on my momus! Granted I don't cut that fast but the rapids are much greater.