PDA

View Full Version : Gathering parts. Some advice on rails.

In2deep
04-09-2012, 01:11 PM
I salvaged an old drafting table arm with ball bearings mounted on eccentric bolts, for fine adjustment, and enough extruded rail to build my x-axis rails , Y-axis gantry rail and a 10" Z-axis. It should work out to a 36X24 table, once I supply the cross support rails for each end and one in the center, which will likely consist of 1X3 rectagular tubing. The extruded rails measure 3 1/2 by 1 1/4" and are quite rigid. Do you think these rails will be alright for a first project? My steppers and drivers are also depicted. I'm hoping they will have enough power.

PaulRowntree
04-09-2012, 11:25 PM
These old round SloSyn motors are very, very weak compared to modern square frame NEAM23 style motors (250-400 oz in I believe). Their magnets degrade with time, so they are probably nowhere near even the 53 oz in original specs. I would visit the Gecko site and check out their offerings, read the Gecko literature on sizing the drivers and power supplies, then go from there.

In2deep
04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
These old round SloSyn motors are very, very weak compared to modern square frame NEAM23 style motors (250-400 oz in I believe). Their magnets degrade with time, so they are probably nowhere near even the 53 oz in original specs. I would visit the Gecko site and check out their offerings, read the Gecko literature on sizing the drivers and power supplies, then go from there.

I appreciate the advice and will look at the other options then.